Timing gear and chain verification help needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rod7515

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m I the middle of replacing the cam and lifters along with new phaser and chain and gear. Cam is installed. I put chain on new phaser with the single mark on chain over the single mark on gear. Then I put the lower gear on chain with the 2 marks on chain surrounding the mark on lower gear. (Pic included) I put the chain and gears onto engine with lower mark at 6 o’clock and upper mark at 12 o’clock.
I then put chain guide on the right side and then went and installed tensioner on left side but I have not pulled pin yet on tensioner. When I do this the phaser moves slightly to the left taking the 12 o’clock cam position more towards 11:30. The links are still on the gear makings as they should be.
is this normal and correct? see pics attached.
I dont see any other possibility since my timing marks on both gear and chain are still in the correct position to each other But I don’t want to move forward until I hear somebody tell me this is normal.
With the tensioner Released the cam gear will pull even slightly farther to the left while crank is still at 6 o’clock. I have not installed the heads, push rods or rockers yet but would like to do that today. Then install the new hellcat pump along with the front cover a components.
i am going to change to royal purple 5-30 oil, run about 100 miles and drain and replace filter when I am done. Hoping things work out as I’ve also replaced the pickup and the VVT solenoid.

your help would be greatly appreciated,
thanks Rod
IMG_0379.jpegIMG_0377.jpegIMG_0376.jpeg

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
I’m I the middle of replacing the cam and lifters along with new phaser and chain and gear. Cam is installed. I put chain on new phaser with the single mark on chain over the single mark on gear. Then I put the lower gear on chain with the 2 marks on chain surrounding the mark on lower gear. (Pic included) I put the chain and gears onto engine with lower mark at 6 o’clock and upper mark at 12 o’clock.
I then put chain guide on the right side and then went and installed tensioner on left side but I have not pulled pin yet on tensioner. When I do this the phaser moves slightly to the left taking the 12 o’clock cam position more towards 11:30. The links are still on the gear makings as they should be.
is this normal and correct? see pics attached.
I dont see any other possibility since my timing marks on both gear and chain are still in the correct position to each other But I don’t want to move forward until I hear somebody tell me this is normal.
With the tensioner Released the cam gear will pull even slightly farther to the left while crank is still at 6 o’clock. I have not installed the heads, push rods or rockers yet but would like to do that today. Then install the new hellcat pump along with the front cover a components.
i am going to change to royal purple 5-30 oil, run about 100 miles and drain and replace filter when I am done. Hoping things work out as I’ve also replaced the pickup and the VVT solenoid.

your help would be greatly appreciated,
thanks Rod
View attachment 520668View attachment 520669View attachment 520670
Verify by turning cam to 12 position, if crank goes past 6 then you are off 1 tooth.
Have seen cam at 12 & crank at 5:30 position before with tensioner engaged & being correct.
Degree wheel only sure way to verify.

Last edited:

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Degree wheel it. MMX YT rebuild video is pretty clear on the process.

OP
OP
R

rod7515

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Please ignore this thread as i had the chain on incorrectly. I had it backwards with the single mark at top and double mark on bottom. That is incorrect. My mistake.
Thanks Rod

RamRod37

2014 Ram 2500 HD 5.7 Hemi
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Please ignore this thread as i had the chain on incorrectly. I had it backwards with the single mark at top and double mark on bottom. That is incorrect. My mistake.
Thanks Rod
That's what I was getting ready to say double marks on each side of cam phaser and single on crank you got it now

6speed4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks Rod
You may have a excuse for getting it backwards, see the below bulletin IMG_0717.jpeg

RamRod37

2014 Ram 2500 HD 5.7 Hemi
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
from having two ways seen out there you would think it would go both ways but as I am sure some have found the marks are not dead 12 and 6 on chain if chain is laid out straight with crank mark dead at end the two cam marks are off 1 or 2 teeth because of the slack side (tensioner side) has more slack than the leading side so reversing them marks throws timing out that 1-2 teeth CCW

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990