Tips/tricks for installing Belltech 964sp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Twizzy228

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My kit just showed up last night. Thanks to this lovely Illinois winter it will be a little while before I install it, but I was hoping I could get some tips and hints from those of you who have installed it.

I've been doing a lot of reading and have picked up a few things like pulling the wheel well liners for the rear and needing a stubby 13/16" wrench. But with all the threads here (let alone online in general) on the subject, I thought one thread might be helpful to guys like me who are about to install the kit.

So please post anything you think might be helpful that's not necessarily in the directions or "once you've done it you know" type information.

Thanks!

audio ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Those are the big things that help, check the stubby wrench size though. I was thinking it was metric like a 22mm, but its been a year since i did mine. Also you may want some semi gloss paint to touch up where you cut the front bumpstops off.

OP
OP
T

Twizzy228

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Read somewhere that using the OEM front shocks will give a better ride.

Can anyone confirm/deny this?

And what about the bump stops? Cut them completely off?

DanielSix26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes the cup that holds the stock bump stop on has to be cut off completely so the new larger bump stop can fit there.

Mr.Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Installed mine this weekend. Front cups for bumpstops were a pain to cut off. I did my rear shock upper bolts by using a long extension and socket on the back side. Not saying it wasn't awkward but it wasn't as difficult as I thought I would be.

nopo2491

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Installed mine this weekend. Front cups for bumpstops were a pain to cut off. I did my rear shock upper bolts by using a long extension and socket on the back side. Not saying it wasn't awkward but it wasn't as difficult as I thought I would be.

wouldve taken me a max a 2.5 hours to do front and rear all by myself , but those freakin front bump stops were a PITA!!! i spend most of the time tryn to cut them off with my air die grinder, and my freakin compressor keep cutting off and re airing all the time cuz couldnt keep up with air grinder:uhoh2:

BlkXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As others have said, cutting the front bump stops off are a PITA. The rest was pretty straight forward.

DanielSix26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I used a sawzall to cut the bump stops off. Came off approx 2 min.

BlkXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You guys using any stock springs or shocks?

I think most people just go ahead and get the full set- Shocks and springs. I know some people will cut stock springs and keep the stock shocks, but not sure who any of those people would be.

OP
OP
T

Twizzy228

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, I thought I read somewhere that the stock front shocks give a better ride.

Exhausted

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the McGaughys 2/4 eco kit and used the factory shocks and it rode great

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Predator 4x4 Dually & 2012 Ram Puinsher R/T 1 of 1
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo & Hemi 5.7
Thanks for this info, I just about pulled the trigger on a belltech 2/4 but I better but a saw zal first and maybe a air compressor.

cjacks519

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RAM Sport Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for this info, I just about pulled the trigger on a belltech 2/4 but I better but a saw zal first and maybe a air compressor.

I used an angle grinder and cutoff wheel to cut my bump stop cups up front. Worked really well. Just cut the welds on either side of the cup then coerce with a hammer!

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

TylerB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I used an angle grinder and cutoff wheel to cut my bump stop cups up front. Worked really well. Just cut the welds on either side of the cup then coerce with a hammer!

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Exactly, but a sawzall will work in a pinch too. Get yourself a 4lb sledge, cut one weld, then smack the cup down then up a couple times and the other weld will fatigue and break.

OP
OP
T

Twizzy228

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So my newly retired dad has started installing my kit...hes not good at sitting still. He's having trouble with the top rear shock bolt like everyone else seems to experience.

How did you guys get to it? Pull the fender liner? Cut wrench? Any pics would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!