Tire and alignment question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I need new tires. Appears my truck is chewing the outside tread. Had an alignment done after the suspension rebuild and all numbers are in spec but looks like a camber issue. Keys have a slight crank but not much. Tires are also 5 years old so not perfect when I installed.
First, any ideas on the alignment? Should I force more negative camber?
Recommendations on new tires. Want SL for the light truck. Top of my list are toyo at3.

Attachments

• IMG_1347.jpeg
    IMG_1347.jpeg
    89.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1348.jpeg
    IMG_1348.jpeg
    135.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1349.jpeg
    IMG_1349.jpeg
    144.9 KB · Views: 10

DA67Goatman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have had several GMT400 trucks and the Factory specs always cause outside wear. I have the shop set the camber to 0 or slight neg <.5 and toe to 0. Afterwards, If it seems to wander, slight toe in to stabilize.

OP
OP
Lsujker

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have had several GMT400 trucks and the Factory specs always cause outside wear. I have the shop set the camber to 0 or slight neg <.5 and toe to 0. Afterwards, If it seems to wander, slight toe in to stabilize.
Good information. Thanks!

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
Are you also rotating those tires (usual 4k-6k miles) Drive wheels move in a straight line, Non-drive cross. if you have a 4x4, on this site of course the primary drive is rear, so they would go straight forward, the fronts cross going to the rear. If ya also own a 4x4 where the front is the primary drive it would be the opposite ( Honda, Toyota Suv's etc.) This is info from Goodyear engineers ( I was with them for 25 years plus). Alignment specs. are for best all around tire performance which includes (handling, tire wear, ride comfort, etc.) not the best for any one thing. You drive different than anyone else (whom ever is reading this). that is why manufactures give a "suggested range" not a set it here or die spec. I'm so old that in the Syracuse area I set up a lot of drag cars in the 70's -80's. We had an old John Bean brand "Visualiner" it was called. It's design dated back into the late 40's. Many picture of one on the internet. used a mirror system (in a big movie projector looking unit) that reflected info to a cabinet on a grid pattern. A real well set up drag car would "stretch" the the suspension Front end up to load rear tires. If you did a good job setting it up it could be a hand full at the top end. We found out by plotting a graph of the front toe that it can severely change as the front rises. So on a drag race only vehicle we would heat and bend the arm that the outer tie rods went into so it would not. No one cared about tire wear so camber was any where between 0-1.5 positive, caster 1-4 positive, toe an 1/8 in to 1/8 out from rest to full lift. They were easier to handle, and quite a few dropped their ET by a tenth or so. Specs. are a great starting point, designed to work for the vast majority.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Are you also rotating those tires (usual 4k-6k miles) Drive wheels move in a straight line, Non-drive cross. if you have a 4x4, on this site of course the primary drive is rear, so they would go straight forward, the fronts cross going to the rear. If ya also own a 4x4 where the front is the primary drive it would be the opposite ( Honda, Toyota Suv's etc.) This is info from Goodyear engineers ( I was with them for 25 years plus). Alignment specs. are for best all around tire performance which includes (handling, tire wear, ride comfort, etc.) not the best for any one thing. You drive different than anyone else (whom ever is reading this). that is why manufactures give a "suggested range" not a set it here or die spec. I'm so old that in the Syracuse area I set up a lot of drag cars in the 70's -80's. We had an old John Bean brand "Visualiner" it was called. It's design dated back into the late 40's. Many picture of one on the internet. used a mirror system (in a big movie projector looking unit) that reflected info to a cabinet on a grid pattern. A real well set up drag car would "stretch" the the suspension Front end up to load rear tires. If you did a good job setting it up it could be a hand full at the top end. We found out by plotting a graph of the front toe that it can severely change as the front rises. So on a drag race only vehicle we would heat and bend the arm that the outer tie rods went into so it would not. No one cared about tire wear so camber was any where between 0-1.5 positive, caster 1-4 positive, toe an 1/8 in to 1/8 out from rest to full lift. They were easier to handle, and quite a few dropped their ET by a tenth or so. Specs. are a great starting point, designed to work for the vast majority.

Hello Lsujker,

Thank you for contacting us with your concerns. We want to kindly suggest allowing one of our authorized dealers to assess your Ram truck, allowing them to handle these concerns for you. https://www.ramtrucks.com/find-dealer.html

Naudia
Ram Cares