Tire size change alfaOBD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
What year is your truck? That's odd that your cruise and speedo are different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
R

Redheadhunter21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The digital readout and Analog looking gauge will both change, Should be no difference between the 2. Not everyone gets the dash to light up and it may be related to the amount of difference from stock you go.

eraser888

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
My truck is a 2015 outdoorsman Ecodiesel.

So, if there is difference between both, do you know if there is a way to fix this in AlfaOBD?

Thanks

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Maybe ask this question in the alphaobd thread. Maybe try another time with the tire change. In the first post in the alphaobd thread there is a step-by-step guide w/pic's in a Google drive link I put together. Maybe you missed or had a step backwards

eraser888

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Maybe ask this question in the alphaobd thread. Maybe try another time with the tire change. In the first post in the alphaobd thread there is a step-by-step guide w/pic's in a Google drive link I put together. Maybe you missed or had a step backwards

Thank you for advice. I exactly followed this guide with a couple of retry but it doesn't seems to change anything.... I think I would rety it with exagerated values to see if it change something.

So, after changing the BCM value, if I don't have flashing light in dash, this means I don't need to do the ABS initialisation?

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Once you enter a tire size and hit start and it says complete after you turn the truck off and open the door to kill power to the accessories and you go back to the acc position and you don't have any lights flashing then it didn't take.

eraser888

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Once you enter a tire size and hit start and it says complete after you turn the truck off and open the door to kill power to the accessories and you go back to the acc position and you don't have any lights flashing then it didn't take.

Hi 1500ram and thank you for your answers.

On my side, I enter a tire size in mm and hit start. After that, it show me the current BCM configuration for tire size and I need to click NEXT to proceed and after that it show me completed. I did turn off the truck, exit from door and wait 5 minutes.

Result, when I come back, there is no light in dash and a short road test doesn't seems to show any change in speedometer...

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Hi 1500ram and thank you for your answers.

On my side, I enter a tire size in mm and hit start. After that, it show me the current BCM configuration for tire size and I need to click NEXT to proceed and after that it show me completed. I did turn off the truck, exit from door and wait 5 minutes.

Result, when I come back, there is no light in dash and a short road test doesn't seems to show any change in speedometer...

Hmmm, what obd2 reader are you using

HeMi101

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HeMi
So I already owned an OBDlink MX unit for my last vehicle, and broke down and purchased AlfaOBD. Today I changed my Tire size to match winter tire size (265/70/17) but have 2 issues/concerns. For reference, I have a 2017 Sublime Sport which comes factory 275/60/20 Tires on 20" rims....

Firstly I've tried to follow the instructions to the tee, which for the most part cleared any "Service traction/Service ABS/Service brake controller" messages, but I'm stuck with a Check engine light that I cant seem to clear even though everything else to be correct after ABS re-initialization. Not sure IF I'm missing something? So to begin I changed the Tire size, then cycled the vehicle off. (I have push to start). then went through the ABS process. I did the Static ECU initialzaion, then did a the Longi. Sensor calibration. Afterwhich I cycled my igntion (Off,ACC then back to RUN without starting) and then did a clearing rolls and then cleared all ABS codes. I again cycled the Ignition, and cleared any BCM Codes and recycled the key yet again. After doing this, I receive no warnings about ABS/Steering/brake controler, but the CEL refuses to go out. I've done this at least 3 times as I've had to try multiple tire Circumference sizes, IS this normal?

Secondly I've tried a few different tire sizes, which firstly I tried using a size from the pre-set tire size list. I selected Goodyear Wrangler 265/70/17 to match my Bridgestone Winter tire size, which The program refused to accept. I ended up having no choice but to manually find the corresponding tire circumference which For 265/70/17 calculators claim should be 2520MM. The program gladly accepted a manual MM measurement. After setting it to this supposedly correct size, the speedomter was still out by 3.5KPH compared to 2 GPS speedometer sources. I dropped it another 15MM to 2505MM which seemed to drop the Speedometer a tad more to 1.5KPH difference. So I reconfigured it once more, and dropped it to 2495MM. This time it actually Jumped back up to being 2KPH-2.5KPH out. Found this a little odd that it actually went UP in incorrect Speed.

Any advice is much appreciated!

HeMi101 from Winnipeg Manitoba Canada

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Redheadhunter21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Clearing the CEL is done in the Engine module same as doing the bcm.
I would try 2480mm

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I already owned an OBDlink MX unit for my last vehicle, and broke down and purchased AlfaOBD. Today I changed my Tire size to match winter tire size (265/70/17) but have 2 issues/concerns. For reference, I have a 2017 Sublime Sport which comes factory 275/60/20 Tires on 20" rims....

Firstly I've tried to follow the instructions to the tee, which for the most part cleared any "Service traction/Service ABS/Service brake controller" messages, but I'm stuck with a Check engine light that I cant seem to clear even though everything else to be correct after ABS re-initialization. Not sure IF I'm missing something? So to begin I changed the Tire size, then cycled the vehicle off. (I have push to start). then went through the ABS process. I did the Static ECU initialzaion, then did a the Longi. Sensor calibration. Afterwhich I cycled my igntion (Off,ACC then back to RUN without starting) and then did a clearing rolls and then cleared all ABS codes. I again cycled the Ignition, and cleared any BCM Codes and recycled the key yet again. After doing this, I receive no warnings about ABS/Steering/brake controler, but the CEL refuses to go out. I've done this at least 3 times as I've had to try multiple tire Circumference sizes, IS this normal?

Secondly I've tried a few different tire sizes, which firstly I tried using a size from the pre-set tire size list. I selected Goodyear Wrangler 265/70/17 to match my Bridgestone Winter tire size, which The program refused to accept. I ended up having no choice but to manually find the corresponding tire circumference which For 265/70/17 calculators claim should be 2520MM. The program gladly accepted a manual MM measurement. After setting it to this supposedly correct size, the speedomter was still out by 3.5KPH compared to 2 GPS speedometer sources. I dropped it another 15MM to 2505MM which seemed to drop the Speedometer a tad more to 1.5KPH difference. So I reconfigured it once more, and dropped it to 2495MM. This time it actually Jumped back up to being 2KPH-2.5KPH out. Found this a little odd that it actually went UP in incorrect Speed.

Any advice is much appreciated!

HeMi101 from Winnipeg Manitoba Canada

Kept happening to me as well if I selected any of the preconfigured tire sizes, as well it would not let me just type in a value. I was able to a few days later once an update came out. Try it this way, just go into the tire change setting, scroll down to where you type in the MM figure and type in what it should be. This worked, where any of the stock settings would blow up my abs and such. It took me 3-4 tried to get it dead on using GPS.

HeMi101

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HeMi
Clearing the CEL is done in the Engine module same as doing the bcm.
I would try 2480mm
So i tried the 2480mm and it says it took but never got any abs errors this time. But im still 2.5kph out. Gonna try 2470mm for ***** and giggles but feels like its not really taking when it should. At least 2ish kph is better than the 6.5kph i was out with the 20" programmed in.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Quick write to help with this. However I bear no responsibility for any changes that you might not like. Only ones you do.

Start off with key in run.
Open app
Select dodge/ram button, Ram 1500 or 2500 From drop down, Body Computer, then body computer MY2013-2017
Connect then click on the icon at the bottom with the hood open
From the drop menu select "Program tire size"

Right above start on this page is a text box that allows you to input the tire circumference in mm or you can use the drop menu to select a preprogrammed size. (Best way to get your mm number is to measure mounted height and then do your conversion, always round up or down to a whole number. This might take a couple adjustments from that to get perfect at 60.)
View attachment 145954

Press start and it should take a couple seconds to complete.
Once done back out to main page.

Cycle the key, at this point you can get all kinds of lights on the dash, so then you need to do the abs module.

Now select dodge/ram button, Ram 1500 or 2500 From drop down, ABS, then ABS Ate/Continental
View attachment 145953

Connect then click on the icon at the bottom with the hood open
From the drop down select ABS iniatiliazation
View attachment 145952

Read the instructions

View attachment 145951

Go back to the drop down and select static ECU initialization
Press start and wait to complete
Click on the check engine icon and clear faults
Then cycle key
Click back on the car icon
Select clearing Rolls Information from drop down, then start
After complete clear faults in the Body control module and the engine.
Cycle key
Once complete start your ram and take it for a spin, and check speed vs a gps. If your still off you can redo the process and adjust as needed.

This was performed on a 2018 Ram 2500 with version 2.1.4.0 on a android with OBDlink MX and a bypass cable

If anybody has noticed any differences on their vehicles or has any input to edit this let me know.
Do you know if this tire change is like many of the other bcm changes, can it take 15-30 minutes to “take”?
Reason I ask is that I measured my tires, did the conversion it cane out to 2713, made the change in alpha and I went from 3mph off to just 1 mph off gps.
I then went back in and changed it to 2705, still 1mph off. I went the other direction changed it to 2750, still 1mph off. I then set it back to 2713 (what my tire actually measured). I’m leaving it there for tonight and I’ll test it again tomorrow.
Using a swing from 2705 to 2750 should have made some kind of difference.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Do you know if this tire change is like many of the other bcm changes, can it take 15-30 minutes to “take”?
Reason I ask is that I measured my tires, did the conversion it cane out to 2713, made the change in alpha and I went from 3mph off to just 1 mph off gps.
I then went back in and changed it to 2705, still 1mph off. I went the other direction changed it to 2750, still 1mph off. I then set it back to 2713 (what my tire actually measured). I’m leaving it there for tonight and I’ll test it again tomorrow.
Using a swing from 2705 to 2750 should have made some kind of difference.

It's possible with making so many changes so quick it just didn't have time to take each one. Maybe try one a day.

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's possible with making so many changes so quick it just didn't have time to take each one. Maybe try one a day.

That’s what I figured.

tzr916

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 QC SLT 6'4"
Engine
5.7L 8spd 2WD
Quick write to help with this.....

HELP!

Performed the tire size change, using 2732mm. Everything went fine except speedo was a little off from GPS, so went back in and repeated the process using slightly different mm.

After I finish there's a CEL and the speedo doesn't work at all. However, if I wait 15 minutes, the speedo works again but the CEL is still there.

I have repeated this 3 times and still same - CEL + speedo doesn't work, wait 15 minutes then speedo works but still have CEL. HELP me clear the CEL please!

ABS Ate Continental error C0078
Tire Diameter
Signal invalid
Last test completed unsuccessfully
Error present
Failure warning lamp 'ON': Not requested

After changing Tire Size, Key Off/Wait, I am doing:
1. RAM 1500 > ABS > ABS Ate/Continental > Hood Icon > ABS Initialization > START > nothing happens.
2. RAM 1500 > ABS > ABS Ate/Continental > Hood Icon > Static ECU Initialization > START > states Completed.
3. Check Engine Icon > Clear Faults > nothing happens.
4. Key Off/Wait
5. RAM 1500 > ABS > ABS Ate/Continental > Hood Icon > Clearing Rolls information > START > states Completed.
6. RAM 1500 > Body Computer > My2013-2017 > Check Engine Icon > Clear Faults > nothing happens.
7. Key Off/Wait.

HeMi101

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HeMi
HELP!

Performed the tire size change, using 2732mm. Everything went fine except speedo was a little off from GPS, so went back in and repeated the process using slightly different mm.

After I finish there's a CEL and the speedo doesn't work at all. However, if I wait 15 minutes, the speedo works again but the CEL is still there.

I have repeated this 3 times and still same - CEL + speedo doesn't work, wait 15 minutes then speedo works but still have CEL. HELP me clear the CEL please!

Tire Diameter
Signal invalid
Error present

1. RAM 1500 > ABS > ABS Ate/Continental > Hood Icon > ABS Initialization > START > nothing happens.
2. RAM 1500 > ABS > ABS Ate/Continental > Hood Icon > Static ECU Initialization > START > states Completed.
4. Key Off/Wait
5. RAM 1500 > ABS > ABS Ate/Continental > Hood Icon > Clearing Rolls information > START > states Completed.
6. RAM 1500 > Body Computer > My2013-2017 > Check Engine Icon > Clear Faults > nothing happens.
7. Key Off/Wait.
You need to do the static ecu init., the longitudal sensor calibration AND clearing rolls.

Also need to go under engine > chrysler Powertech/Penntastar/Hemi and clear faults there to get rid of the CEL.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
HELP!

Tire Diameter
Signal invalid
Error present

4. Key Off/Wait
7. Key Off/Wait.

Looks like you are missing the step to clear the engine module at the end after the BCM.