Tire spin on wet surfaces

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RonPepple

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn with a 3.92 axle ratio. I'm getting major wheel spin on wet surfaces. I had a lot of good recommendations on tires thru this site. I was told before, not on this site, but because of the axle ratio that's why I have wheel spin because of the torque and that I need to keep a few 100 lbs of sand in my bed. I had a 2011 Ram 1500 Big Horn with a 3.55 axle ratio with no wheel spin on wet surfaces. Could it be the axle ratio and I need to weigh the bed down or will a really good set of ko2s be enough to prevent wheel spin?( I don't drive crazy)

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
There's basically nothing holding it down, it's gonna slip a bit on wet roads if you're not feathering the skinny pedal. You def need some better tires.

I have 3.92 as well, and a pedal commander which I dial way down in rain and snow. It's a good idea to keep some weight in the bed during the winter months anyway (not sure where you're located).

Jim M

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e-torque
I sometimes get a little bit of spin when taking off from a stop on wet roads or loose gravel, but have never considered it a real problem. I don't have a heavy foot.

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have 19 classic 1500 with 392 gears, replaced the oem SRAs at 2000k miles with michelin defenders...soooo much better!!!!
SRAs are complete crap

OP
OP
RonPepple

RonPepple

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There's basically nothing holding it down, it's gonna slip a bit on wet roads if you're not feathering the skinny pedal. You def need some better tires.

I have 3.92 as well, and a pedal commander which I dial way down in rain and snow. It's a good idea to keep some weight in the bed during the winter months anyway (not sure where you're located).
I live in Central PA

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
My personal experience has to always drop the Ram factory tires in the first 1000 miles and have Michelin Defender LTs installed. They have far superior traction over the Nexan or Goodyear’s. And the ride of the Michelin’s are far superior too.

bm02tj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you go with the LSD do not get the stock one go with the new Tru Trac coming out soon
for the ZF
The factory one has no preload and is crap and a waste of money I learned the hard way

OP
OP
RonPepple

RonPepple

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you go with the LSD do not get the stock one go with the new Tru Trac coming out soon
for the ZF
The factory one has no preload and is crap and a waste of money I learned the hard way
It has an Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle.

OP
OP
RonPepple

RonPepple

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You have an open rear differential. Not the end of the world with the auto 4wd transfer case, but if you want both rear wheels to spin on low traction terrain swap in a Mopar anti-slip or Eaton Trutrac is a better option.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Better tread and weight in the bed if you don’t have the auto transfer case.

bm02tj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

If you have a 1500 it is junk as I had mine replaced as the service manager did not know that the new style feels like an open diff and relies on the traction control to activate
After it was replaced and I took it home and checked he told me about the open feel
Jack our truck up and the wheels will turn easy

Tracy in IL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 diesel
When I bought tires for my 17 1500 CC 4x4, I sorted Tire Rack data on the following: Snow traction, wet traction, dry traction, braking, and QUIET.
Firestone Destination AT was #1, followed closely by Yokohama Geolander AT.
Made a big difference from stock tires.

NDanecker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you have "major wheel spin" a new or different set of tires are not going to fix your wheel spin. Use 4wd auto on wet days. That's why its there. Much cheaper than replacing tires.