Tire/Wheel Combo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hrazz7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got a 2013 Ram, looking to run 33 by 12.5 on a 20x12 rim with a 2.5 inch level. Just wondering if anyone has the same setup and what kind of tires they are running? Leaning towards trail grapplers.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Just FYI, you can go to 35's with that setup too.

Just be mindful of the wheel offset. With a stock offset you may run inside at full steering lock. A -12 or more offset on your aftermarket wheels will make sure rubbing won't be a problem.

About the tires...will you be off-road much? Need to move through some mud? Or will you be mostly on the highway?

Aggressively treaded M/T tires work well in mud, sand, etc... but will normally wear faster than an A/T on the highway. They can also be a bit noisy.

A/T tires work well on the road and in wet conditions. They aren't bad off road but suck in mud and sand. They are pretty quiet on the road and wear really well.

I've had A/T and M/T. Recently I installed a set of BFG All Terrain KO2's and I really like them. They aren't as noisy as the Toyo, Super Swamper, Mickey Thompson and the more aggressively treaded Goodyears, Nittos and Cooper M/Ts.

Picking a tire can be for looks, function or mileage. Good luck with your choice.

derag2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
You or only don't want a 12 wide rim for 12.50 wide tires.... Drop it down to 10 wide rim...

OP
OP
hrazz7

hrazz7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yall ever look at custom offsets website? I was looking at some of the trucks and specs on them, it seems like a 20x12 with -44 offset runs with no rubbing with a 33x12.5. Did see a few with the same combo but with 35x12.5 with slight rubbing. If any of y'all are running aftermarket rims, what are y'all running?

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
Just FYI, you can go to 35's with that setup too.

Just be mindful of the wheel offset. With a stock offset you may run inside at full steering lock. A -12 or more offset on your aftermarket wheels will make sure rubbing won't be a problem.

About the tires...will you be off-road much? Need to move through some mud? Or will you be mostly on the highway?

Aggressively treaded M/T tires work well in mud, sand, etc... but will normally wear faster than an A/T on the highway. They can also be a bit noisy.

A/T tires work well on the road and in wet conditions. They aren't bad off road but suck in mud and sand. They are pretty quiet on the road and wear really well.

I've had A/T and M/T. Recently I installed a set of BFG All Terrain KO2's and I really like them. They aren't as noisy as the Toyo, Super Swamper, Mickey Thompson and the more aggressively treaded Goodyears, Nittos and Cooper M/Ts.

Picking a tire can be for looks, function or mileage. Good luck with your choice.

Can't run 35x12.5's on a 12" wide wheel with only a leveling kit. 33's are the tallest you can go on that wide of a wheel unless you want to cut a ton of material out of your fender and bumper.

You or only don't want a 12 wide rim for 12.50 wide tires.... Drop it down to 10 wide rim...

No issues running a 12.5" wide tire on a 12" rim. Lots of guys are running the same setup. It isn't the exact look I'd go for being only 33" tall but that's up to the OP's personal preference.

Yall ever look at custom offsets website? I was looking at some of the trucks and specs on them, it seems like a 20x12 with -44 offset runs with no rubbing with a 33x12.5. Did see a few with the same combo but with 35x12.5 with slight rubbing. If any of y'all are running aftermarket rims, what are y'all running?

Yes Custom Offsets is a very good site to look at to figure out exactly what you want. You can run a 20x12 -44 offset with 33.x12.5's and a 2.5" level no problem. As stated above you definitely won't clear 35's though.

derag2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Just saying it's not the ideal setup in my opinion plus you wouldn't need a -44 offset rim... Half the tire is gonna be sticking outside the fenders... Keep your balljoints on a reordering program...

To each his own thou, everyone like something different. Post up your pics when your done.

As for aftermarket rims I'm looking onto some 18x9 +18 offset ... Since I don't like the tires sticking way out.... Someday I may run a 35 12.50 with this setup.

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
Most 12" wide rims are -44 offset or something close to it. That's just how it works when you go wider.

12" wide rims don't give you ball joint issues like a lot of guys make it out to be. I run 22x12 -40 offset Forces with 37x13.5 Toyo MT's. The combination of each wheel and tire weights 140 lbs and I haven't had a single issue with ball joints, hub bearings, or anything else. During the winter I run stock 17's on 2" BORA spacers with 37x13.5's and again, no issues at all. Obviously a 3500 is a bit different than a 1500 in that sense, but still... ball joints aren't going to be a huge concern.

derag2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I was saying going with a 10 wide he wouldn't need to go with a -44. A 3500 is A lot different than a 1500.... The farther out the weight the more pressure and force is being applied to those areas...