Tow hitch quality

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Here’s my hitch. It’s on the low end of class IV. There’s an aftermarket trailer brake. No clue if any of the wiring works.
CF055F1B-C763-43FD-93E2-741F1EBFB50A.jpeg
That receiver looks scary as hell, I wouldn't tow anything with it. It looks like the left side is cracking apart where all the rust is.

OP
OP
Mittens

Mittens

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
12v Cummins
That receiver looks scary as hell, I wouldn't tow anything with it. It looks like the left side is cracking apart where all the rust is.
That’s a wiring harness box. Sitting in front of the receiver. Here’s another view. I haven’t got Under to inspect, but I definitely will before using.D3765D58-D0D2-4A81-9B5A-F21E0B07ED09.jpeg

OP
OP
Mittens

Mittens

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
12v Cummins
I got a solid Bull Dog hitch at Tractor Supply. All the hitches there were significantly better feeling than anything at wallyworld or harbor freight. the hollow types were a bit heavier and the finishes all seemed better. I'd bet that everything with a brand name on it is about the same, but I just feel better with a solid shank.

Dan Topp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I like my weighsafe it’s super adjustable and some day i might use the built in scale on it.but it’s a work of art anyway

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Whether the shank is solid or not doesn't make any real difference. The weight is being carried by the receiver hitch itself. The joint where the ball is welded to the shank is the only area of weakness.

The weakest spot on any hitch is the pin that holds it in place. Whether you buy the hollow or solid shank, use a grade 6 bolt, washer, and nylock nut to hold it in place and you will dramatically reduce banging and play, and you will have a far stronger joint.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The weakest spot on any hitch is the pin that holds it in place. Whether you buy the hollow or solid shank, use a grade 6 bolt, washer, and nylock nut to hold it in place and you will dramatically reduce banging and play, and you will have a far stronger joint.
I beg to differ, the weakest point is where the receiver is bolted to the truck itself followed by any of the welded joints on the receiver/drawbar. I've never heard of anyone shearing a 5/8" receiver pin even in the event of a rear end collision (receiver can/will separate from the truck frame).
Using a Grade "X" bolt doesn't make a difference strength wise but you can oblong the holes if the threads are inside the receiver and to stop the rattling mean you warping the receiver tube when tightening the nut.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
My son was rear ended in his 2018 2500 with his insert in. The hitch was bent downwards with the tubes going to the frame being bent/twisted. The insert and pin were fine but he did replace them anyway. Different type of force but just an example that the pins are pretty tough

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963