Towing without a "tow Package"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flyguytki

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2014 Sport with a 4'' Zone lift and 35's. The truck did not come with a Tow Hitch, Tow Haul Button, or a Trailer brake. We have plans on purchasing a 12ft enclosed trailer to do Partial Dity moves during PCS's but I am not sure what all would need to be done to the truck to get it ready. I know I can purchase a Class 3 Receiver that will simply bolt on but what exactly does the Tow Haul button do? Also can it be added after the fact? The trailers I plan on owning will not have trailer brakes so I don't think the Integrated trailer brake will be needed. Am I on the right page or way off? Whats your thoughts

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
It doesn't have tow haul. You need to get a class 4 hitch.

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Tow/haul will keep your gearing lower longer and keep you in the torque sweet spots when getting a large load moving and/or combating hills or headwind. Helps with engine braking as well. Computer magic. Needs a flash from the Stealership if you install it. Go class IV hitch. Plenty will chime in as to the best places on the 'net to get one. Have fun haulin'.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

braindead0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hugenormous
Curt makes a class IV that should be a bolt on.

Most states require trailer brakes on trailers over some gross weight rating (a lot seem to be 1000#) a 12' box trailer should have brakes on it. They may be surge brakes but I'd opt for electric if possible as surge brakes aren't very good if you get into a sway situation.

Wiring a brake controller should be trivial, I believe etrailer may have videos for your specific truck as well.

Does the sport have the trailer plugs in the bumper? If so that's one less thing, if not you'll need that as well.

Tow mirrors might be necessary, however if the trailer isn't wide/tall probably not.

EDIT: what gear ratio do you have? The 35's and lift may be an issue, the leverage exerted on your vehicle can get wonky when using longer drop hitches. Think about 2000# of stuff pushing on the hitch, if can actually lift the front end at worst at best if you don't have brakes on the trailer takes weight off the front which can cause steering problems in particular in emergency handling situations.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
No tow haul???? I haven't seen one of these trucks without a tow haul even if it doesn't have a hitch

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am pretty sure after 2012 all trucks have a tow haul/ over drive off button.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I have the 6 speed and tow haul but I also have to tow package

OP
OP
Flyguytki

Flyguytki

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am pretty sure after 2012 all trucks have a tow haul/ over drive off button.

You are correct, for some reason I was looking at the aux switch panel in my head and couldn't see it in there, it is intact there so one less headache. Also it has the 7 way and 4 way plug wired.

What it looks like I may need is:
Class IV receiver
OEM trailer brake
Drop hitch

braindead0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hugenormous
You are correct, for some reason I was looking at the aux switch panel in my head and couldn't see it in there, it is intact there so one less headache. Also it has the 7 way and 4 way plug wired.

What it looks like I may need is:
Class IV receiver
OEM trailer brake
Drop hitch
OEM trailer brake controller is optional, aftermarket brake controllers are very good (tekonsha it my fav) and should be easy to install. Also you may want a weight distributing hitch. On your setup with the potential drop receiver angles a WD hitch can help a lot with control and keep weight on the front so you can steer..

Towing seems easy until you get into the details.. be safe/careful and educate yourself. There are a lot of good resources out there.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
If your trailer doesn't have brakes no point in getting the controller. I personally suggest brakes over 3500lbs. Just know you will have delayed stopping. You can buy a hitch that bolts onto your truck class 3/4 for like 80 bucks rated to 6k non WD and 10k WD it's curt #13333 and just a drop hit you'll probably want about a 5-7 in drop hitch I use a 2 in drop normally and your about 5 inches taller.

braindead0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hugenormous
Drop is going to depend on the trailer tongue height. My 1500 is bone stock but my trailer hitch height is about 15", meaning I'll need to drop about 5" on a stock 1500, less if I use my WD hitch but don't expect I'll need that.

You could need anywhere from 5" - 15" of drop, I wouldn't go out buying ball carriers until you've got the trailer in question.

This has trailer brake laws by state: Trailer Brakes | AAA/CAA Digest of Motor Laws

Note that it's based on GROSS weight not actual weight in most (all perhaps?) cases. If you get into an accident while towing lack of trailer brakes could be a factor.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
my truck didnt have a hitch either. i just ordered a factory one and bolted it up. all rams 2004 and newer have a tow/haul button. as stated before, your going to need at least a 5" drop hitch with your lift and tires. trailer brake controller is not technically needed but i would keep in mind that most states require trailer brakes for trailers over 3k lbs. whether or not your trailer has them or if they even work is a different story.

twodogs603

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
my truck didnt have a hitch either. i just ordered a factory one and bolted it up. all rams 2004 and newer have a tow/haul button. as stated before, your going to need at least a 5" drop hitch with your lift and tires. trailer brake controller is not technically needed but i would keep in mind that most states require trailer brakes for trailers over 3k lbs. whether or not your trailer has them or if they even work is a different story.

That is totally incorrect information.

Two Dog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM RCSB Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
my 06 Cummins had it, and my 14 Express has the tow/haul too.

braindead0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hugenormous
Which transmission are we talking about? I suspect the tow/haul feature may be standard on the 8spd..

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
My 06 has it along with every other 06- up ive been in.
I cant remember ever driving a pre 06 3rd gen so i cant say for sure on those.