Towing without a towing package

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michaeli

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemie 5.7 liters V8 3.92 ratio
I have a Ram 1500 Laramie 2016 with a Hemie v8 5.7 liter 3.92 ratio, without a towing package. I have a hitch a two electric receptacles. Can I tow a travel trailer wight 6000 lbs ?
Thanks

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If your truck has the 8spd transmission (shift knob), it already has a transmission cooler. The rest of a "tow package" would include towing mirrors and the electric brake controller. There will be a slide lever on the center stack of the truck below the radio/HVAC controls if your truck has the brake controller.

You definitely need the trailer brake controller and a WDH to tow a 6K lbs trailer.

clay282

Black Betty had a child... named Betty White
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
If you don’t have the factory integrated brake controller… there are alternatives but they won’t work WITH the trucks stability control system. The OEM trailer brake controller can be installed yourself if your know a bit of tech and are handy with some tools.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If your truck has the 8spd transmission (shift knob), it already has a transmission cooler. The rest of a "tow package" would include towing mirrors and the electric brake controller. There will be a slide lever on the center stack of the truck below the radio/HVAC controls if your truck has the brake controller.

You definitely need the trailer brake controller and a WDH to tow a 6K lbs trailer.
This.

The Laramie already has a Class IV receiver hitch, both receptacles, and trans cooler.

You can install the factory brake controller and get a flash to turn it on reasonably. Or, as some have said you could go aftermarket if you don't mind it not interfacing with your EVIC (cheaper option). Either way though I agree... you need a brake controller and WDH for a 6k lb trailer.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Tow package did not come with tow mirrors. They were a separate option.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
As stated above; brake controller of some type (EOM is best) and mirror extensions should get you set up to go.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I'll echo all of the above, if you don't have it get the OEM brake controller and a WDH and sway control. If you don't have tow mirrors I would suggest either upgrading to them or at least getting a GOOD set of clamp-on ones, there are some out there that do a decent job.

Otherwise your truck shouldn't have an issue with 6k. Just take it easy and pay attention.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Tow package did not come with tow mirrors. They were a separate option.
According to the 2016 sales brochure the Trailer Tow and Brake group includes both. The other option was Tow Mirrors without the brake controller. The controller was also a separate option.
Screenshot_20240222-092242.png

Usually when someone is inquiring about a vehicle "Tow Package" the options they're looking for is towing mirrors, receiver hitch, brake controller and transmission cooler.

clay282

Black Betty had a child... named Betty White
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
As stated above; brake controller of some type (EOM is best) and mirror extensions should get you set up to go.
He makes a great point. I do have a set of mirror extensions for hauling the camper. They are cheap and easy to put on and take off. Tahoe Q7i boat doesn’t need them or my flat trailer, just the camper. I never considered upgrading to the moose ear OEM mirrors because I park in the garage and I really don’t need the extra width.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
According to the 2016 sales brochure the Trailer Tow and Brake group includes both. The other option was Tow Mirrors without the brake controller. The controller was also a separate option.
View attachment 538039

Usually when someone is inquiring about a vehicle "Tow Package" the options they're looking for is towing mirrors, receiver hitch, brake controller and transmission cooler.
Can't speak for 2016 but my 2013 had the tow package and no tow mirrors and my step-father had a 2017 with tow package and he had to argue with the dealer to get tow mirrors. He told them tow package should include tow mirrors. They said it did not. He told them to put them on or he didn't want the truck. So can't speak with certainty but that's 2 with tow package that did not have tow mirrors from the factory.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
So can't speak with certainty but that's 2 with tow package that did not have tow mirrors from the factory.
The '13 model year didn't offer a towing package, just the trailer brake and mirrors separately.
The '17 model year did offer a Tow package with both the brake and towing mirrors. From the '17 model year:
Screenshot_20240222-234301.png

Seaholic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If your trailer has surge brakes should not be a problem. I towed a 6000lb boat and trailer 800 plus miles round trip to the keys with a Ram 1500 /3.6 without any issues. Also the truck has the 3.2 rear end.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have a Ram 1500 Laramie 2016 with a Hemie v8 5.7 liter 3.92 ratio, without a towing package. I have a hitch a two electric receptacles. Can I tow a travel trailer wight 6000 lbs ?
Thanks

I'm curious as to why you say you don't have a "towing package", because it almost sounds as if you may have all the elements for it.

My 2014 Laramie 5.7L with 3.21 rear shows the towing package.
*Also I do not have tow mirrors, i have the "Gucci" mirrors that do everything else.

@Michaeli grab your V.I.N. and plug it into these sites, one for your actual window sticker...

And one for your Equipment Listing from Mopar...

Use ALL CAPS at both sites. Hope this helps.

EDIT: If these details matter, I also have the 8-speed trans, quad cab, 6ft bed, electronic brake control.

Last edited:

Jack F

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Thanks
i'd rather take it to a dealer and install the electric brake control,it's the perfect job and your dash will look kleen,no drilling,no screws,it's a litle expensive but i guess that's the way to go,in Canada it cost me $800,in US it has to be cheaper

Jack F

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
i'd rather take it to a dealer and install the electric brake control,it's the perfect job and your dash will look kleen,no drilling,no screws,it's a litle expensive but i guess that's the way to go,in Canada it cost me $800,in US it has to be cheaper
Clean

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
if it came with the hitch and a 4/7 plug you can easily add a brake controller. i bought mine off ebay, it took maybe 30 minutes to install and i had the dealer add it to the computer.

towing 6000 pounds you want brakes on that trailer (if it has them) because all that braking force will be on the truck now and they'll wear down and heat up faster.

Jack F

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
I had everything but the brake control,also replaced my coil springs with ones one inch and a half bigger,now towing 5000 lbs travel trailer is a breeze

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
A lot of it depends on the dealer and what they charge. For my wife's old Ford it was only like $150-200, on her 1500 it was closer to $400 I think. BUT the biggest advantage to having the dealer do it is that they won't put in the wrong part, they will only install the one that their parts lists call for.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Basically, for 47/50 states trailer brakes are required for trailers 3000lb or more. For Kansas, 2000lb, and for Nevada and California, 1500lb.