Track bar recomendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fla crkr 1 ton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 [360]
I'm installing a 2 1/2 lift on my 01 1500 sport [spacers/blocks] with shocks as a kit,i'm also going to replace the track bar with an adjustable type i have been shopping around an found one at Spohn and another at DTfabrication [30$ more] i'm not sure of which to use basicly asking if either one has any bad reviews. I'm also replacing the ball joints,installing a steering box support brace [do i need this?],and replacing tierods,steering stablizer shock. I purchased this truck several months ago and have been replacing stuff slowly,income tax refund has arrived and need to fix the wandering problem,i dont want to replace the track bar with another stocker [i have read they are poorly designed] want a non balljoint type instead. Keep in mind that 5-6 hundred for a track bar id not gonna happen these i have listed are 329.00 and 365.00 [rather have less but they are the ball joint type.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
I would buy a Dodge Off Road Trackbar (DOR) but they are topping out your budget. Much beefier than a DT or Spohn. Spohn bar looks like a pretzel...actually it looks like a Skyjunker with a different bracket.

Last edited:
OP
OP
fla crkr 1 ton

fla crkr 1 ton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 [360]
Thank you i looked at those just now and your right they are beefy but my finances are limited. Do i need the steering box brace? My plan is the lift just to clear 285/75/16s and i needed to replace shocks anyway i don't have any plans to offroad/mud just trying to fill the fenderwells since i added fender flares. I need to replace the balljoints so i'm gonna do everything at the same time i'm figuring between the two the DTfab bar is the beefer one i suppose i refuse to keep replacing a stocker every 2-10k.Plus the spacer lift can accept taller springs and blocks/add a leaf/spring packs if i want to go taller in the future.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well this going to greatly depend on how much you really want to invest into an attempt at fixing your wander....as it may very well NOT be the trackbar...

You got lots of options in your price range but you may want to think about a conversion bracket to run the 03' and up bars...lots more options then.

If you want to get buy with a good bar for now so you can throw money at more important things a good bar and great price is the Moog bar. substantially thicker and stronger where it counts. Here is a comparison between the stocker and the moog.

20121217_205714.jpg
20121217_205427.jpg

Moogproblemsolver.jpg

Solid Steel Industries TB Bracket and Bar...No troublesome ball joints, no loud Heim joints...

ssitbparts.jpg

I also like the look of SSI's DSS Kit, The DSS, also known as the "Darins' Steering Stabilizer" is designed to eliminate steering wander in the Dodge Ram pickups. It does this by adding an additional bearing to the bottom of the steering box sector shaft and by adding an additional cross member tying the frame rails together eliminating frame flex. In other words, takes the slop out of your steering.

Here are some shots of both-

closeupstabilizerandtrackbar.jpg

steeringstabilizerandtrackbarSSI.jpg

additional info for SSI's products...it seems the the bracket costs about $185 the bar is another $315 so $500 and its only good for up to 3" lift

Thuren Fabrications 2nd gen bar is good for 5" - 10" of lift...the site says they are currently out of stock....seems to go for around $360 according to a gentleman on another forum so dont quote me.
ThurenFabTrackbar.jpg

Somehow this drop bracket seems inferior even to the bolt on one i currently have on(provided it was welded at the cross member also)...im sure it isn't but it just seems like even with the one weld on brace it may not distribute load well...but then i'm not an engineer by trade and also one could fab up additional gussets to tack up with ease so not that big a deal..

I actually like the skyjacker bracket and bar...youll notice the bracket is superior in design to most other out there. price ranges from about $260 to $350

skyjackertrackbarkit.jpg

Skyjacker-Trackbar-DTBA27.jpg

To touch again on that steering box brace...its thought by many the darrins brace can put stresses on the sector shaft with frame twist while offroading...this one does not...and i like it a lot...also seems easy enough to fab and guys with tractor parts stores near them can get all the parts to make it there.

DORbrace14.jpg
DORbrace15.jpg

This is all coming from research i did for myself but i was only interested in bars good for 5" or more of lift which is why all the brackets.

I went with the moog for now so i could throw money at gears and recently a Mega Viper Trans. Below is a shot of mine installed...you know i had to paint her up. ;)

20130118_225517.jpg

Last edited:

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
I haven't run a steering brace ever. In fact I still run my original box...but I flush my PS fluid often.
One area you don't want to go cheap on if you go away from the OEM setup is the track bar. After market bars with small hiems tend to need replacement and small diameter/ thickness tubing can cause vibration.
DT used to have a good rep but there's been occasional issues with service.

Another alternative which I have run for almost 9 years is the Linstad mod Lindstad track-bar adjustable-end repair kit for 4x4's correcting steering problems for a fraction of the price. with a Tuff country bracket. My axle is centered with a 5 inch lift. and I think I've tightened the adjustment 3 times.

BTW I run spacers and springs and hope to eliminate them someday. Too many good springs out there to not to.

EDIT: Thuren no longer makes 2nd gen track bars...yes they're still on his site...because he hasn't removed them.

Last edited:

mike2me

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 - 5.2L V8
I'm sure this is frowned upon by some but i just made my own track bar and it cost me less than $40. If you can weld and have the motivation its defineitly the way to go. Personally i just like being able to say yea i built that. Everything on my truck is fabbed up by me cause thats just how i roll.

The way i built it was i bought a tractor top link that has 2 adjustable ends on either side (ends for 1" dia bolts) i bought mine from farm/fleet but i have seen them at harbor freight if you look for them they arent hard to find. I cut that in half and used each end to sleeve my stock track bar. i cut the ends off the stock track bar and used a straight section from it. Weld it together and your half way there now you just have to make the bracket if your interested in doing it ill send out some pics and real details.

Last edited:
OP
OP
fla crkr 1 ton

fla crkr 1 ton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 [360]
Thanks,i thought about that but i don't weld that well but i work with welders i trust,however getting them to do me favor in a short time frame is impossable so i bought one [gasp] i went with DT Fabrication one seemed like the best way to go i wanted the DOR one but too pricey at 5 bills. OKIE was correct the DOR one is the largest diameter one available and spohn was whimpy looking [after looking at the others]. I'm an impatent person so buying one was the easiest option,hopefully it will arrive by this weekend so i can do balljoints,lift kit,axle u joints,track bar all at the same time.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Isnt there a 3rd gen track bar conversion?
Okie do you know of any advantages of going that route?

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Isnt there a 3rd gen track bar conversion?
Okie do you know of any advantages of going that route?

Most aftermarket bars today are based on 3rd gen trackbars so yes there's an advantage. No reason to run the 2nd gen design with the ball stud unless you are flat broke. If you are I recommend Lindstads mod.

The only issue I had is that when Windecker and the others brought out the adjustable 3rd gen style in the early 2000's, they were very expensive...like 5-600 bucks with brackets. That may have changed but I haven't checked pricing lately. Again...wth a big lift, Cummins power, and/or heavy tires it's pretty much a given.

Howells

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
i went with skyjacker awhile back and have no had any problems with it other then make sure you tighten the crap out of the bolts cause i had it come loose about a week after install, tightened the crap out of the bolts and haven't had a problem since. the only reason i went with skyjacker was it was the cheapest none ball joint style at the time. so far very happy with it

OP
OP
fla crkr 1 ton

fla crkr 1 ton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 [360]
Thanks for the advice i have a DT Fab bar on its way. By the way Okie i no longer have a cummins [tear] it went to dodge heaven [caught fire] this is for the replacement a 2001 ram 4x4 1500 sport.