Traction aid options for 3500 drw?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Syoungs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6 4
Hi all,
I'm planning on ordering a new truck this summer, and am pretty sure itll be a ram 3500 drw with the 6.4, to be used as my camper and boat hauler.

I'd love to have an electronic locking diff, but it doesnt seem like ram offers this option outside of the 1500s and power wagons, but I've only looked on the build and price feature of rams website.

Can anyone tell me what traction aids are available from the factory? Is it just limited slip, or is a locker available when ordering?

Should i skip it all together and just plan on spending 1500$ to get an arb put it?

Thanks for the help!

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I believe just a limited slip, but it works pretty good from my experience.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Limited slip is your only factory option. With that said, if you plan on taking a big heavy dually into places you think you need a locker on top of the 4x4 you might be looking at the wrong truck.

Tumbleweed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Limited slip is your only factory option. With that said, if you plan on taking a big heavy dually into places you think you need a locker on top of the 4x4 you might be looking at the wrong truck.
That's not quite accurate. Limited slip on my old 2010 Ram Dually w/ 6.7L Cummins. I've been in deep snow, dragging a 40 5th race trailer full of ATVs. I tried everything I could to keep it moving up a dirt road. Slight incline and had to get out the shovels. Tried sticking ratchet straps through the wheels, front and rear. Finally had to unload two of the ATVs to help pull...Success!

OP
OP
S

Syoungs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6 4

You realize alot of semi tractors have differential lockers right?

Towing into hunting camp they have come in handy, pulling big boats up steep nasty ramps, launching duck boats in the columbia at unimproved ramps, all good times to have a locker.

My last few trucks have been used fords, and the limited slip was not very good at all. I've never owned a dodge though, maybe I'll be happy with their setup.

Thanks for the help everyone!

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The ram hd trucks have a decent limited slip option, but if you want a locker you're going to have to go after market. Unfortunately that means extra cost and no warranty so I'd probably settle for ltd slip.