Trailer Brake Settings.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff Cline

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When hauling, what trailer brake setting should you be in?

Not he numeric setting for the amount of assist, but the setting on the truck itself ("Light Electric", "Heavy Electric", "Light Electric over Hydraulic" & "Heavy Electric over Hydraulic")

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
How much weight are you towing?

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
When hauling, what trailer brake setting should you be in?

Not he numeric setting for the amount of assist, but the setting on the truck itself ("Light Electric", "Heavy Electric", "Light Electric over Hydraulic" & "Heavy Electric over Hydraulic")
:welcome: to Ramforum!

carlcochran79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Manual says light electric is for 10000 lbs and less Same with light electric over hydraulic. Which one you want to be in depends on the trailer. Does it have electric or electric over hydraulic brakes?

OP
OP
J

Jeff Cline

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hauling a loaded 2 horse aluminum trailer. Weight - approx. 5000-6000 pounds.

Trailer just has electric brakes.

Thanks a lot for your help guys.

COAinPaso

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I use light electric most of the time (2500, 6.4L). Trailers from 3k to 12k. Sometimes you have to adjust the gain for heavier or lighter trailers though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: SyN

RaftingDave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use light electric most of the time (2500, 6.4L). Trailers from 3k to 12k. Sometimes you have to adjust the gain for heavier or lighter trailers though.

Below 3K ? My PUP is only 2800 loaded. Electric brakes.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Even with 8K behind the truck I use Light Electric. Usually after a couple of stops and minor adjustment, I don't feel the trailer push or pull when braking.

Reactions: SyN

COAinPaso

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Use light light electric. Getting the setting right is pretty easy. Start with it on 3 or so. With the truck just barely idling get along in drive, slide the trailer brake lever over to test the trailer brakes. What I am usually looking for is to 'kinda' feel the trailer brakes pull on the truck. Adjust accordingly. You don't want them locking up but you don't want to under power them either. I have to set it around 2.0 towing a 20' car trailer empty., otherwise they lock up in the dirt.
Oh, and do the test in a parking lot or non busy side street or something.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thendrix

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I set it on 5 then start down the road and when I reach 20 or so I put my foot on the pedal. If I feel the trailer pushing I go up on the gain. If I don't feel it I usually leave it. Haven't locked up yet. This is on a road with very little traffic