Tranny failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

renfrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well boy and girls at 198000 miles my tranny just gave out. Parked it at kohl’s and came out to no reverse. Called my buddy the mech and he said drop it off. So on my way cruising in 5th it’s felt like I went into limp mode, but nope it just shifted to 2nd. Taching out I limped it to my buddy’s. That sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
In todays world One does not know what to expect when they open the thread with the word “tranny” in the title.

Just saying[emoji1787]

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Well boy and girls at 198000 miles my tranny just gave out. Parked it at kohl’s and came out to no reverse. Called my buddy the mech and he said drop it off. So on my way cruising in 5th it’s felt like I went into limp mode, but nope it just shifted to 2nd. Taching out I limped it to my buddy’s. That sucks.

Al least you have a friend to help. That is cool. Now do some “ bulletproofing mods” to the new trans

Octane

Reaction score
Speaking of trannys...my brother in law would put his tranny in the bathtub to clean it up.......then tear down and rebuild it.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Speaking of trannys...my brother in law would put his tranny in the bathtub to clean it up.......then tear down and rebuild it.

I don’t recommend this if you have a drain field

Or a nice bathtub

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

you should watch these video's hemi395 found for us a long time ago...

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
203k on my 2011 with orig 5 speed trans slight delay when shifting to 2nd sometimes but still goin strong 'Knocks wood' out of all of the dodges i have had I never needed to replace a trans sucks yours didn't make it farther 198k not bad tho lol.

OP
OP
R

renfrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m going jasper. What’s ya’lls thought.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It's just a name, they have many different transmissions reman, oem, class 2 etc. I'd look into what they did to the VB, if they did any upgrades, that is what will save your transmission long term. The HP transmissions are going to be $, but they should have decent VB upgrades in any transmision sold if they are reputable. You should look it up in specs.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Renfrick, if you ever install that Jasper Transmission, please report back on what you think of it.

JET is 5 miles down the road from me. I know a few guys that work there. They talk a good game regarding their re-man process. They claim to be able to spot and rectify problems that the OEM guys can't, because they see a large number of high mileage units.

Re Jasper stuff, if any one has first hand experience with Jasper, I'm all ears.

Last edited:

TRX-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When my tranny went down , I contacted Nic at Shift Rite transmissions. Since the install of the Stage II and the billet converter , my truck runs amazing. Shift-rite has done well by me. Even said that if anything even starts to go wrong , he will send me a brand new transmission.

Lucy Girl

Military, Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
In todays world One does not know what to expect when they open the thread with the word “tranny” in the title.

Just saying[emoji1787]

Tranny could be GRANNY misspelled. lol

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Thought this was a thread about Bruce Jenner switching back.

OP
OP
R

renfrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well had the jasper installed ($3500)and got it back last week. Boy what a difference. Shifts smooth converter works perfect. Had the exhaust gaskets done a couple months ago ($800)and man it feels, sounds and drives like a new truck. Well worth it in my book
Next year I’ll start on the rust. I don’t have any but I don’t want to have it start and be to late to fix so I’ll have the rockers and door panels replaced then look at the bed quarters.
It’s a 2010 reg cab sport with 200,000 mile 5.7 L on it

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Well had the jasper installed ($3500)and got it back last week. Boy what a difference. Shifts smooth converter works perfect. Had the exhaust gaskets done a couple months ago ($800)and man it feels, sounds and drives like a new truck. Well worth it in my book
Next year I’ll start on the rust. I don’t have any but I don’t want to have it start and be to late to fix so I’ll have the rockers and door panels replaced then look at the bed quarters.

that's great man...

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI

Keep us posted on the Jasper

I know a very honest mechanic shop that uses them reluctantly. They do not have a lot of good to say about them.

Not BAD per say but they are not impressed. To each his own right. They could have just had some bad experiences but still could be good engines and transmissions.

The one thing I remember saying about Jasper is if they see any flaws in an engine design they change them accordingly

For example I think they make the piston skirts longer on the hemi’s

Octane

Reaction score
A lot of the remanu engines by these rebuild companies are crappy. We had several companies in Georgia that were and a few would cheat you out of your warranty.

OP
OP
R

renfrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought this truck used and it looks like this is at least the third tranny in it ( my first) so we will see
My plan is to keep this thing till it can’t be fixed anymore. It’s a 5th vehicle for me but the wife’s go to. It’s gets a lot of use