Tranny Fluid Capacity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WillieBo55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
New to the forum. Bought my first 2014 ram last June. 5.7 6 speed

Can someone tell me what my transmission fluid capacity is? 8 quarts? I can’t seem to find it on here anywhere. And my manual doesn’t specify.

Thanks

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Dropping the pan and changing the filters, you're probably looking at 6qts as I recall. Your ATF+4 fluid is cheap and easy to find, grab 8 and keep the extra on the shelf or return it if needed.

FYI - If your local walmart has SuperTech ATF+4, just get that. If it is listed specifically as ATF+4 it has to meet the factory specs.

OP
OP
W

WillieBo55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was going to run Amsoil. But I seen in another thread where someone was talking about getting the multivehicle and not the fuel efficient, so I’m not sure. Trying to get as much of the old stuff out as possible and watched a guy on YT push the fluid, that’s in the torque converter, out through a cooler line.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Multi vehicle is for 8 speed, use amsoil ss or redline c+ both are compatible with what you have. It takes 8 quarts for pan drop with both filters replaced, use Mopar OEM filter with pink valve as replacement of sump filter. The total capacity is like 14 quarts, but there is no way to do that without the machine. If you had a machine, you lose 8 quarts just to do filters and put back fluid and the exchanger, like 26 quarts or something crazy like that. Most guys pan drop plus 8 quarts will work. Most importantly, get metal thread upgrade and perhaps synthetic filter for canister option. If you use gasket maker, put pan back and leave on overnight empty, then fill in morning.

ITH_PRESSURE_RELIEF_VALVE__57070__24235.1527545735.jpg

OP
OP
W

WillieBo55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought both oem filters. Saw your link for the metal thread upgrade last night. It’ll be here Friday. On the amsoil site they have two different grades, each grade two different kinds. OEM and Signature Series. I’m assuming when you say SS you mean the signature series. The signature series has multi vehicle and fuel efficient. I read early today on a amsoil data sheet where the fuel efficient is compatible with a few mopar but not the AT-4. But SS multi vehicle specifies that it is.

Attachments

• IMG_1549.png
    IMG_1549.png
    309 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1548.png
    IMG_1548.png
    266.6 KB · Views: 5

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So the multi vehicles and fuel efficient options tend to be pizz thin, wont work good in a rfe, you will get shudder and hollow noises. You want viscosity in the 7.5 range whatever brand you opt for.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I see your point with their specs, but I would say look up other atf4's such as m1 or whatever, you will get the 7.5 visc. If using ss gives you pause, I'd just change brands and use whatever. Kinda weird amsoil specs thinner oil for atf 4 application. I use c+ it is incredible, it is spec'd as atf 4 replacement.

OP
OP
W

WillieBo55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Redline or Amsoil are really my only two considerations. The SS multi vehicle specifies that it’s Chrysler at-4 replacement. Also specifies it has a viscosity of 7.5 @ 100 C
Saw somewhere on here where a few people had mentioned a guy doing oil quotes. Don’t know if that’s still a thing or not but I figured I would ask beings I have 250$ in my amsoil cart between engine oil and trans fluid

Attachments

• IMG_1551.png
    IMG_1551.png
    545.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
OP
OP
W

WillieBo55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ain’t tryna beat a dead horse. Just trying to get to bottom of this lol
While putting the best product I can in my truck. Any recommendations on where to buy Redline. I know summit sells it

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Ain’t tryna beat a dead horse. Just trying to get to bottom of this lol
While putting the best product I can in my truck. Any recommendations on where to buy Redline. I know summit sells it
They have a dealer locator on their site you can find locally, my napa has it 3 bucks cheaper, amsoil is excellent stuff as well, I just didn't see a visc of 7.5 on the SS, if that is true and you are happy with the specs that is good stuff as well, I know some guys in syn thread are happy there. From what you posted I didn't see that, basically if it is atf4 and visc 7.5 you are good no matter what, all atf4 or high performance replacements are high quality synthetic.

OP
OP
W

WillieBo55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With all that being said. How much fluid can I possibly drain out of my truck without the “ machine “?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So ok looked it up again, that is what you were saying and I was agreeing, amsoil for some dmfk reason doesn't spec the 7.5 for atf4, this is wrong, they have multi as atf4 6.4, this is wrong. I would use the none spec 7.5 or just chose something else. Dont have 1/3 of a clue why amsoil did that, makes no sense. It might not matter, but I can say using 7.5 c+ ended my tranny shudder which must have been thinner.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
With all that being said. How much fluid can I possibly drain out of my truck without the “ machine “?
8 quarts drop pan and let drain for an hour, button up with gasket maker, next day 8 quarts back. Of course check on level as you go. Pay attention to the o ring on sump filter, make sure you get it out and put back new one.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Is the gasket maker that RTV stuff or??
yeah for hot oil

some guys like gaskets, I like gasket maker almost fool proof. just clean surface and run a bead and around areas that have a circle for screws. just a breeze to use, I guess only downside is it takes overnight to dry and they don't want you to fill til dry. I think you let it dry for 10 minutes before you put the pan up, I forget read instr.

OP
OP
W

WillieBo55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One last thing. If a guy was going to upgrade his pan and get the bypass valve which brand should I go with?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
One last thing. If a guy was going to upgrade his pan and get the bypass valve which brand should I go with?
bypass valve? You mean drain bolt? Not dorman, not cheap, but rather something substantial would be my opinion./ PPE maybe, look into those reviews.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If you are actually talking about the thermal bypass valve I'm sure any of them will work. It is the opposite of a valve so long as it doesn't leak your good. I'd just get a cheap one on amazon if it has many good reviews. I didn't need one as in 2010 they didn't have that garbage on the truck. It is a good purchase for sure.

ats bypass is 94 bucks I would most likely get that one, good reviews.