Transfer case gernaded

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TMcWeed 59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My apologies if I'm in the wrong forum but wanted some ideas and advise ASAP. My son was out with his 2018 RAM 3500 Laramie 4x4 crewcab long box 4x4 , deleted with 5" exhaust and yesterday doing maybe upwards of 25-35,40 MPH at the time and in some 12"-18"of snow he heard a loud bang and lost 4 wheel drive. Seeing the damage done and knowing the transfer case is a write off he managed to get back home at 3 am driving at 5-10 MPH but there's a softball size hole in the transfer case and no 4 wheel drive just 2 wheel drive . It's obvious he's going to have to purchase a new transfer case but he's over his warranty(of course) but has anyone else had this happen and is there a better system out there ? I'm guessing he has 85 - 90K on the truck and all lubes and service are up to date. Also a friend said it'd probably a sensor caused the 4 wheel drive to malfunction but is there even a sensor related to the 4 wheel drive system and could a faulty sensor caused this damage? he really doesn't need to buy a new transfer case only to have this repeat itself because of an underlying issue. If anyone has options, upgrade advise places to buy a better prices anything is greatly appreciated we're in Canada in the province of B.C. . Thank you in advance for all helpful replies!

Attachments

• Brandon's transfer case.jpg
    Brandon's transfer case.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 41

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
40mph in 18" snow, is he sure he did not hit anything or something bounced up and hit it?. I was wheeling with my buddy in Moab and he hit a rock shaped like a tombstone and somehow it flipped up and moved to the center of the trail and took out his tranny pan. total freak thing. He was behind me and saw me roll over it with no issue but somehow his tire hit it just so and bang...

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
From the way the break pattern looks and the angles on the shear lines it does appear as though something broke inside and blew outwards. You really won't know till you pull it off and tear it down. At the speed he was going in a foot and a half of snow I don't think it had much to do with sensors. My bet is he just got way too much torque and horsepower to that transfer case and too much resistance from the snow. 40 MPH through a foot and a half of snow its a tremendous amount of resistance to overcome.

Alberta Driveline in Edmonton is who I have used for 40 years for rear ends, transfer cases etc. Prices are good and they know what they are doing.

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The failure could have been from a shock load of the front wheels slipping and then catching traction.
Search www.car-parts.com for low mileage replacement.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would go with operator error. Delete truck guessing he has it tuned. Throwing down extra hp on stock running gear........ 40mph in that much snow and think it's a sensor error?

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I would go with operator error. Delete truck guessing he has it tuned. Throwing down extra hp on stock running gear........ 40mph in that much snow and think it's a sensor error?

Yeah, upgrading power outputs without checking component capacities is just gambling on finding the least capable one.

An expensive shear pin, eh? Not saying this is OP's situation, just that it could be given the issue description, and known habits of many out there.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, upgrading power outputs without checking component capacities is just gambling on finding the least capable one.

An expensive shear pin, eh? Not saying this is OP's situation, just that it could be given the issue description, and known habits of many out there.

Well driving 40mph is 2ft of snow is all that needs to be said. I mean in a wheeling rig it might be fun but at least know your putting your truck to its limits lol. Everyone says the 68rfe transmission is crap but if you do not alter your hp much it does great. can't throw 37in tires and 1000hp and expect it to hold.

OP
OP
T

TMcWeed 59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for all the comments and help. Well got the complete story this afternoon today. It appeared he wasn't in more than a foot of snow at the very deepest most was 6"-8" and when requiring 4 wheel drive he stopped let the truck roll backwards with no load to engage it in 4 wheel drive. Once engage into 4 wheel drive the issue happened shortly afterwards about 250-300 yards from the point where he switched into 4 wheel drive and at less than 10-15 mph and on flat road with minimal load. Hearing the whole story now I was wondering even though it all appeared to be okay perhaps it wasn't electronically engaged fully into 4 wheel drive if that's possible?

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Pretty difficult to sort through what actually happened. The two versions of this story are way too far apart but I don't know your son and I really don't care which is true. Take it into a good shop and get it fixed because there is no way to diagnose the cause remotely when you have no idea what actually happened.

BolletuH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Been through deep snow in 4WD plenty of times with my truck... never had an issue. I definitely want to say you aren't getting the full story lol.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
looking at the photo again it looks like it has been cracked for a long time and probably leaking around the crack. Maybe it is just the way the photo is shaded but looks like it the lower chunk finally just let loose.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Thanks for all the comments and help. Well got the complete story this afternoon today. It appeared he wasn't in more than a foot of snow at the very deepest most was 6"-8" and when requiring 4 wheel drive he stopped let the truck roll backwards with no load to engage it in 4 wheel drive. Once engage into 4 wheel drive the issue happened shortly afterwards about 250-300 yards from the point where he switched into 4 wheel drive and at less than 10-15 mph and on flat road with minimal load. Hearing the whole story now I was wondering even though it all appeared to be okay perhaps it wasn't electronically engaged fully into 4 wheel drive if that's possible?
Really? Most people don't delete and tune a truck to drive it mildly, especially a younger person. It's a lot of fun doing donuts and spins in the snow, I know.
that-look-when-you-know-theyre-not-telling-whole-story.jpg

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
when requiring 4 wheel drive he stopped let the truck roll backwards with no load to engage it in 4 wheel drive.
Why did he do all of that to put it in 4wd? I also have an 18 Ram HD Laramie CTD (all stock) and it is shift on the fly 4wd. Makes me wonder if he'd had some other issues with 4wd on the truck before this happened.

bigdodge

Reaction score
In that much snow I'm sure there was some wheel hop going on.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
probly the rear tires were going 40mph and fronts 0mph when he grabbed 4hi. that will explode something every time. the repair bill will be a good learning lesson

Earl Zeis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Transfer should be under the 5 year 100k power train warranty. But finding a dealer to honor it on a deleted and tuned truck is another story.

Earl