Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transmission issue?

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by David21157, Oct 24, 2019.

Sponsored By: Moe's Performance
  1. David21157

David21157 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    Hi everyone. I was hoping I could get some advice. I bought a 2016 Ram used from Carmax in June 2018. I love the truck and it drove great. In October, I received a notice that I needed to get in for a recall. Something to do with the latch on my tailgate (non-issue of course) and something with the powertrain. After that recall service was completed, I noticed that when I am coming to a stop, my truck kicks. While driving, I do not feel that smooth transition in the truck changing gears. It's jerky at times. When cruising and not applying any pressure to the pedal, the truck feels like it downshifts the way you would downshift a standard.

I've taken the truck back to the dealership two times. They keep saying the truck is driving perfectly fine and they refreshed the computer. It's been one year and this is still happening.

Any advice?

2. QwikKota

QwikKota Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7L
    Which gears do you have? The 3.21's should not kick when coming to a stop.

3. RamCares

RamCares Senior Member

Ram Year:
    n/a
    Engine:
    n/a
    Hello David21157, I am very sorry to hear about this! What dealer did you speak with?

I would be happy to look into possible TSBs for you. Send us a private message with your VIN if you'd like to discuss further.

Kaitlin
    Ram Cares

4. huntergreen

huntergreen Senior Member Military

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    hemi 5.7
    2016 big horn 4x4, 3.92 hear ratio. None of the issues like you are describing.

5. David21157

David21157 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    not sure on which gears I have.

6. JoeCo

JoeCo Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    How about what transmission? And if you want to look up your truck info, click on the link and remove the vin from the address bar and replace it with yours, that will tell you all the info on your truck:

https://www.dodge.com/webselfservice/BuildSheetServlet?vin=3C6JR7CT6DG548523

Or if you are having issues with that you can private message me your vin and I can look it up..either way the build sheet is nice to have.

7. David21157

David21157 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    I have a 3.92

8. JayLeonard

JayLeonard Senior Member Military

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    I have a 2017 with 3.21s and I get the thump about 10% of the time when I come to a stop. Also get the thump about 30% of the time when I start out from a stop after sitting at a light for 30 seconds or longer.
    I've only owned this truck for one month, it has 7k miles on it. At the dealer now for the third time. They say everything is normal. Getting frustrated to say the least.
    Supposedly the Chrysler tech advisor was there yesterday to drive it. Haven't heard back yet on results.

9. David21157

David21157 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    Yeah. I bought mine used in June 2018 from Carmax in Maryland. In October, there was a recall done on the truck. The recall was for a U61 Powertrain Control Module. Ever since that recall my truck has been bucking. And every time I take it back in, they say everything is fine.

10. QwikKota

QwikKota Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7L
    I hate the recalls and updates for non-issues. The latest one bricked my radio and even after fixing it, my sd card reader is on the fritz. Better this week at least.