Transmission issues??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hey guys. I’ve got a 2015 Mega 2500 with the 6.4. I will preface this with the fact that I had an issue while towing a while ago where for some reason the tranny stuck in fourth gear. I limped it home and checked the fluid and it was fine. Shut the truck off for a bit and when I turned it back on all was good. Didn’t have another issue. I did call the dealer and he told me to check for codes, I did and there wasn’t any. So essentially he told me to wait until it did something again.

I just hit 60k and since I tow a 4K trailer 4-5 days a week I changed all the fluids. Oil, both diffs, transfer case, and transmission.
I dropped the pan, cleaned it up, replaced the filters and put it back. Everything seemed fine. Fast forward five days to today, and twice when I went to start the truck and drive off, it only sort of went into gear from park. Did the same thing when I shifted into reverse. I noticed that it wasn’t ‘going’ when I hit the pedal, so I put it in park and turned it off. When I restarted again after a few seconds it was fine again. Went into drive and acted normal.

I’ve been checking the fluid level while hot and it’s right at the second dot on the hot side. Maybe it’s too full? I’m not sure what symptoms that has...Other than that it seems to shift smoother and quieter than before, but it could be my imagination.

Is there something wrong here? Should I vacuum out some of the fluid?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chadder1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
May want to check the spin on filter plastic threads and see if it’s not cracked. I hear that sometimes can cause issues. Is the spin on filter a factory mopar filter?

OP
OP
I

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Neither of the filters is factory, no. I did pull the plastic thread adapter out of the new filter and inspect it carefully. It was not cracked or cross threaded at all.

chadder1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yeah that plastic piece is known for cracking during installation and or if you didn’t tighten it just right the filter may back off. Also if you don’t run the factory Mopar spin on filter it will do exactly what your describing. I had a similar problem with a 68rfe in my 2015 Cummins. I had to get a brand new factory filter and it took care of the issue.

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My truck has went into limp mode (stuck in 4th) and I believe it is due to the transmission solenoid recall. Have you had it done?

chadder1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have not had those recalls on either of my trucks. What temp are you checking the fluid? If it’s not throwing any codes then you just may have a solenoid going out.

Mbrigh3

IG: Stormtrooper_5.7
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine is in the shop for a new transmission as we speak. It will be there for about 20 days before I see her again.

Mine through I believe P0733 code which stated I was having incorrect gear ratio problems. It only threw the code twice but the first time I was actually stuck in third gear.

Hopefully your dealer is as cool as mine. I am getting a free transmission after I told them it was my third visit and that my warranty was gonna be up in two months.

OP
OP
I

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My truck has went into limp mode (stuck in 4th) and I believe it is due to the transmission solenoid recall. Have you had it done?

I have not had any recalls on my transmission. All of my recalls have been done but the drag link...I’m not interested in them welding it together. I’ll keep my eye on it and if it loosens they can replace it then.

OP
OP
I

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have not had those recalls on either of my trucks. What temp are you checking the fluid? If it’s not throwing any codes then you just may have a solenoid going out.

I haven’t had tranny recalls either. I’m checking the fluid levels warm...According to the EVIC it’s around 178 degrees.

OP
OP
I

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yeah that plastic piece is known for cracking during installation and or if you didn’t tighten it just right the filter may back off. Also if you don’t run the factory Mopar spin on filter it will do exactly what your describing. I had a similar problem with a 68rfe in my 2015 Cummins. I had to get a brand new factory filter and it took care of the issue.

You’re the second one to mention the filter...what “similar issue” did you have with yours before doing the factory filter fixed it? I’m not dismissing it, but I’m having a hard time seeing it since my issue is intermittent. I don’t know...I’d be willing to get a factory filter and more fluid to do it...

chadder1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You’re the second one to mention the filter...what “similar issue” did you have with yours before doing the factory filter fixed it? I’m not dismissing it, but I’m having a hard time seeing it since my issue is intermittent. I don’t know...I’d be willing to get a factory filter and more fluid to do it...

So I had where if the truck sat overnight and I started it and go to shift to reverse and it would act like it was in neutral for a few seconds. From what I read the non factory mopar filters have been known to cause that.

OP
OP
I

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So I had where if the truck sat overnight and I started it and go to shift to reverse and it would act like it was in neutral for a few seconds. From what I read the non factory mopar filters have been known to cause that.

Okay. Did it go into gear on its own then? Mine won’t act normal until I restart.

chadder1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Okay. Did it go into gear on its own then? Mine won’t act normal until I restart.

Yeah it would eventually be fine but like the initial 5-15 seconds it would act really weird like it was slipping.

OP
OP
I

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yeah it would eventually be fine but like the initial 5-15 seconds it would act really weird like it was slipping.

Mine will sit there for 30 seconds only sort of in gear. It moves, but like it has a ton of resistance. A restart makes it act completely normal. I just drove the truck twice and it was fine. Was your issue intermittent? Or at least every cold start? Mine has done it twice, both times it was warm.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like more of an electrical issue to me. Did you have the solenoid recall, and if so has it been replaced yet?

chadder1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Mine will sit there for 30 seconds only sort of in gear. It moves, but like it has a ton of resistance. A restart makes it act completely normal. I just drove the truck twice and it was fine. Was your issue intermittent? Or at least every cold start? Mine has done it twice, both times it was warm.

Yeah mine was intermittent to the beat of my memory. I only noticed it a couple times before I replaced the filter. From memory if not using the OEM filters, it allows the fluid to bleed past the filter not allowing full line pressure within the trans initially. You have to wait until it builds full line pressure before the trans will be fully engaged.

Megazor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd agree with the others on high possibility of solenoid related. My truck had the same behavior as yours and the shift solenoid had gone bad. Eventually, it started to idle around while in park if the parking brake wasn't set.

OP
OP
I

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Sounds like more of an electrical issue to me. Did you have the solenoid recall, and if so has it been replaced yet?

I did not have that recall, no.

OP
OP
I

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yeah mine was intermittent to the beat of my memory. I only noticed it a couple times before I replaced the filter. From memory if not using the OEM filters, it allows the fluid to bleed past the filter not allowing full line pressure within the trans initially. You have to wait until it builds full line pressure before the trans will be fully engaged.

This makes the most sense in regards to aftermarket filters. Still, I’m not sure how it would do that? Do you have a link or an idea where you saw that?
It does seem that if I wait an extra 20 seconds before shifting from Park that it is smoother to say the least. If this is the case I’d have to wonder if it’s worth pulling the pan over before the next 60k service hits...IDK. It’s not really that hard. But I do want to be sure that’s to blame before doing it. It still has a hint of an electrical issue to me.

OP
OP
I

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'd agree with the others on high possibility of solenoid related. My truck had the same behavior as yours and the shift solenoid had gone bad. Eventually, it started to idle around while in park if the parking brake wasn't set.

What do you mean about it idling around in Park? I’m not clear on that. Did you have a code when yours went out? Mine doesn’t have any codes. Still, it could be sticking without throwing codes.