Transmission "Ordeal"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
973604x4

973604x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Did you have any issues with slipping in 1st or reverse in the early days after you purchased the truck?

Did the service manager say the seal on the L/R Piston was rolled over and allowing fluid to bypass the lip of the seal?

Or did he just say it was installed wrong when it was built?

i had not noticed any slipping issues in the early days of owning the truck. The service manager and mechanic actually showed me the L/R piston seal. It was clear that the lip wasn’t seated correctly. They explained that the fluid bypassed the seal and, overtime, caused several transmission parts to fail. They even specified this had been an issue in the earlier days of the 68rfe but they hadn’t seen one on anything as new as a 2018.

OP
OP
973604x4

973604x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I picked my up truck on Saturday January 4 after 40 days of not having my truck. Transmission is rebuilt. New Tq converter, few clutches, L/R piston and some miscellaneous. The didn’t dealer wash or rinse my truck at all. I did scrub their loaner clean before I took it back. Low jack was dangling from underneath the dash in my truck.

I paid nothing, all covered under warranty. Felt and heard a slightly different clunk when going into D in the dealer lot. First impressions were good, everything felt tight and shifted well.

I’ve now driven the truck about 600 miles. I think it slipped once in 1st yesterday. I’ve noticed a strange driveline vibration twice when in gear at a stoplight. I’ve experienced an odd clunk when shifting in or out of reverse several times now.

my wife was with me for all of this. She’s 20 weeks pregnant with our first born. Confidence in our vehicles has never been more important. Our confidence is quickly fading on a truck with only 16,500 miles....

I’m still working with RamCare. I’m supposed to receive some “offers” on Friday for my troubles with my truck. Patience is running thin.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I picked my up truck on Saturday January 4 after 40 days of not having my truck. Transmission is rebuilt. New Tq converter, few clutches, L/R piston and some miscellaneous. The didn’t dealer wash or rinse my truck at all. I did scrub their loaner clean before I took it back. Low jack was dangling from underneath the dash in my truck.

I paid nothing, all covered under warranty. Felt and heard a slightly different clunk when going into D in the dealer lot. First impressions were good, everything felt tight and shifted well.

I’ve now driven the truck about 600 miles. I think it slipped once in 1st yesterday. I’ve noticed a strange driveline vibration twice when in gear at a stoplight. I’ve experienced an odd clunk when shifting in or out of reverse several times now.

my wife was with me for all of this. She’s 20 weeks pregnant with our first born. Confidence in our vehicles has never been more important. Our confidence is quickly fading on a truck with only 16,500 miles....

I’m still working with RamCare. I’m supposed to receive some “offers” on Friday for my troubles with my truck. Patience is running thin.
I know Bruner in Stephenville very well. I have recommended Bruner to many truck owners over the last few years and especially the truck owners who live west of the DFW Metroplex.

Can you post the repair order again do I can see what the tech said in his story?

I'm guessing the "clunk" you are hearing when moving the shifter into the Reverse or Drive position is from the typical harsh engagement of the RFE after repairs. If the tech would have performed the Quick Learn Procedure a couple of times it most like wouldn't do it if everything is correct.

I read where you said you felt a driveline vibration while stopped at a light. Did you feel a shudder or anything when accelerating from a stop?

Congrats on your first baby on the way. I'm a new father too. I totally understand the need to have a reliable vehicle. I look over my wife's SUV on a daily basis just to make sure she doesn't have any issues with our son in the back seat or if she is by herself.

Since you have been in contact with RamCares I would let them know about how the truck is driving after the trans repairs. I would also take it to a different dealership to have another tech drive it and look at the CVI's in PCM/TCM.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I posted earlier in the thread (#18) - my 66rfe failed at 38K and after my post it looks like if failed again. A couple days after that post it got way worse so now the truck is back at the dealer and I'm awaiting word of what's wrong. It started producing a 5th gear ratio error (or something like that).

OP, I know what you mean about reliability. After the first rebuild it never did feel right but the dealer pretty much just blew me off. Their opinion seems to be that if the truck moves and isn't in fire it is "operating normally". Here I am now at 93K likely looking at another rebuild. Or, at least some substantial work. Even with the warranty I'm starting to feel like I can't trust this thing.

OP
OP
973604x4

973604x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I know Bruner in Stephenville very well. I have recommended Bruner to many truck owners over the last few years and especially the truck owners who live west of the DFW Metroplex.

Can you post the repair order again do I can see what the tech said in his story?

I'm guessing the "clunk" you are hearing when moving the shifter into the Reverse or Drive position is from the typical harsh engagement of the RFE after repairs. If the tech would have performed the Quick Learn Procedure a couple of times it most like wouldn't do it if everything is correct.

I read where you said you felt a driveline vibration while stopped at a light. Did you feel a shudder or anything when accelerating from a stop?

Congrats on your first baby on the way. I'm a new father too. I totally understand the need to have a reliable vehicle. I look over my wife's SUV on a daily basis just to make sure she doesn't have any issues with our son in the back seat or if she is by herself.

Since you have been in contact with RamCares I would let them know about how the truck is driving after the trans repairs. I would also take it to a different dealership to have another tech drive it and look at the CVI's in PCM/TCM.

PM sent & thanks for the advice!! I did email RamCares with the same report from here.

OP
OP
973604x4

973604x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Went to Stanley CDJ in Brownwood, TX today. Impressed with the service department there. They set the transmission into learning mode again and checked for codes. No codes at all. They agreed the transmission is rather noisy but it needs a while to break in.

I thought it was odd that I could hear fluid move through the valve body....went back to my paperwork on my truck from the first dealer and read again. It plainly reads clutch material was in the pan...but there is no mention of changing filters, cooler, front pump, or bypass valve in the parts list. Seems logical to me that these should have been replaced too if there was that much trash in the system? (Or correct me if that’s wrong, but I use to be a 48re expert in 2007 lol)

My FCA case manager is extremely frustrating. He will only speak to me once every 2 business days. I have tried 6 times to submit documentation to him that he requested. The email I have been asked to send to is a mile long and doesn’t look like a real email. He swears it’s the right email but I just “must be doing something wrong.“ I’ve tried submitting documents from my phone, from a computer, and from 3 different email accounts - no luck.

I’m expecting my every 2 business day phone call tomorrow. The saga continues. FCA has made no “offers” as they have suggested numerous times.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
This goes along with my general service and repair experience with Ram. Service advisers routinely make excuses for vehicles that are having obvious problems. Focus is put on just getting people to leave or they do the bare minimum to get them to leave.

Considering the labor to push/pull a tranny from a truck I just couldn't imagine not being completely thorough but some bean counter probably determined it's better to just kick the can down the road and save a few bucks on parts. Then hope the duct tape and bailing wire worked :)

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
I find it incredible that Ram-FCA and the dealer felt the best solution was to rebuild a assembly defect transmission. This must have been a false economic decision. Tripping over dollars to save nickels and dimes. The material and labor cost plus customer aggravation time had to be more expensive to repair a defective trans.
The dealers and FCA have finally figured out,,,, when they have a cam failure in a Hemi fleet vehicle because the engine cannot tolerate long idle time,,,,they ship a long block to the dealer and the service department can remove and replace in a matter of hours. Our neighbor is a heavy line mechanic with our local dealer. He says they have gotten quick and good at replacing the 5.7 in the police cruisers. Averaging 1-2 a month at 50-70k miles.
As others have said, the manufactures focus on interior comfort, electric feel good bells and whistles is more important than the big three's design, assembly and parts quality. I have been in Dodge/Ram trucks since 1986. Their total disregard for long term product owner's, is caused by consumer buying habits. That said,,,Ford and GM quality standards are worse and they believe the customer should pay more for their product disappointment.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Went to Stanley CDJ in Brownwood, TX today. Impressed with the service department there. They set the transmission into learning mode again and checked for codes. No codes at all. They agreed the transmission is rather noisy but it needs a while to break in.

I thought it was odd that I could hear fluid move through the valve body....went back to my paperwork on my truck from the first dealer and read again. It plainly reads clutch material was in the pan...but there is no mention of changing filters, cooler, front pump, or bypass valve in the parts list. Seems logical to me that these should have been replaced too if there was that much trash in the system? (Or correct me if that’s wrong, but I use to be a 48re expert in 2007 lol)

My FCA case manager is extremely frustrating. He will only speak to me once every 2 business days. I have tried 6 times to submit documentation to him that he requested. The email I have been asked to send to is a mile long and doesn’t look like a real email. He swears it’s the right email but I just “must be doing something wrong.“ I’ve tried submitting documents from my phone, from a computer, and from 3 different email accounts - no luck.

I’m expecting my every 2 business day phone call tomorrow. The saga continues. FCA has made no “offers” as they have suggested numerous times.

Hi @973604x4

I'm sorry to hear that you are having a poor experience. Please send our team a private message with photos of the requested documents. I can add them to your case for you.

Darlene
Ram Cares

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD

I think I would REALLY be pressing them that you want a new truck for the same payments with no money down other than what you get for your current truck. If they say there is no way they can do that, tell them you are going to spend a few Saturdays on their lot to tell people your experience! Maybe tell them you are going to reach out to the local tv & news stations. Really pound it in to them that your wife is pregnant & you do not fell confident this vehicle is reliable! As others have said, it really seems odd that they didn't throw a new or already rebuilt tranny in there. Not sure what their reasoning is on that one. And push to the "Ram Cares" employee that you want a new truck for the same payment. We'll see how much they care.

OP
OP
973604x4

973604x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I think I would REALLY be pressing them that you want a new truck for the same payments with no money down other than what you get for your current truck. If they say there is no way they can do that, tell them you are going to spend a few Saturdays on their lot to tell people your experience! Maybe tell them you are going to reach out to the local tv & news stations. Really pound it in to them that your wife is pregnant & you do not fell confident this vehicle is reliable! As others have said, it really seems odd that they didn't throw a new or already rebuilt tranny in there. Not sure what their reasoning is on that one. And push to the "Ram Cares" employee that you want a new truck for the same payment. We'll see how much they care.

FCA/“RamCares” doesn’t really care. I told my case manager I’m ready to visit the ford dealer. His response...”that’s certainly within your rights sir.” I drove a 2020 F-250 7.3 gas that same night.

OP
OP
973604x4

973604x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I did speak to my FCA/RamCares case manager on 1/14 following my Stanley CDJR visit on 1/13. I explained my concern regarding the trans cooler, trans filter, front pump, and bypass valve not being corrected from the first transmission rebuild or at least not specified on repair documents. FCA case manager asked if I left my truck there...and I did not. FCA case manager said to take my truck back to the dealer again and he would approve another transmission rebuild to include the trans cooler, trans filter, front pump, and bypass valve. How on earth can this guy approve an entire transmission rebuild again simply based on my assessment?!

Anyway, FCA case manager said he would reimburse my expenses for a rental if no loaner is available. Stanley CDJR doesn’t have truck loaners so if I want a truck, I’m out a rental expense until FCA reimburses me. Lovely.

I told my case manager that I would rather FCA just buy the truck back at this point. He said he cannot make any offers towards settlement or buy back until the vehicle is repaired. I asked if that meant I’m without a vehicle until I’m satisfied with the repairs? He said “no, i already offered to reimburse you for a rental.” I reminded him this has been going on since mid November and that I have lost patience with having my truck repaired. He didn’t have anything to offer...but when I told him I’m ready to go talk to Ford, he replied “that’s certainly within your rights sir.”

we left the conversation with he agreeing to contact Stanley CDJR on Friday to let them know he approves repairs and he would call me Monday to “schedule an appointment on my behalf.” Yea right...no one but my wife is scheduling my appointments lol. i asked him to call Stanley CDJR sooner to review the case with them before I’m back in their dealer. He refused and said he didn’t have time to contact the dealer until Friday if I wouldn’t be able to take the truck back the dealer until next week. I reminded him I have a full time job, pregnant wife, etc and taking my truck to the dealer is not in my job description. He said he couldn’t help fix my truck if I couldn’t take it to the dealer...although I was at a dealer the day prior.

RamCares - if you’re reading, please assign a new FCA case manager to this case or escalate to the next tier level. You are very close to losing a customer to Ford.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
FCA/“RamCares” doesn’t really care. I told my case manager I’m ready to visit the ford dealer. His response...”that’s certainly within your rights sir.” I drove a 2020 F-250 7.3 gas that same night.
Agreed. They got your money already so all of the support and "loyalty" is out the window.

They don't care if you lose 30% on a trade because they already got their 100.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Way to go FCA! You can't keep treating people like this & expect them to keep purchasing your product! The big three all have comparable trucks right now. So pretty much the only difference is customer service. And you are currently failing in that department! I have been a Mopar fan for over 35 years, but if you treat me like that I would definitely be looking at my other options.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I may be able add a little something here about the lines of communication between dealers and Ram - my dealer had to hold off on ordering parts for a couple days until Ram approved my (second) transmission rebuild. He told me he sat on hold with them for 2.5 hours one day and finally had to go do other things away from his desk (presumably, he was doing other work while waiting.... I hope). My point is there doesn't exactly seem to be high speed fiber optic lines of communication between Ram and dealers.

With my truck at 93K and not exactly feeling like I'm backed with the old "Maytag Man" commercials (sorry kids... Google it if you don't understand), I was shopping for trucks recently and was reminded why I went with my Ram.... they are roughly 5-8K less than a comparably equipped Ford or Chevy/GM. Point being, I get frustrated with quality and warranty support but I sure do get a lot more for my money with Ram.

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I know a lot of you guys have that lifetime warranty but sometimes I wonder if you'd be better off in the long run to use a professional transmission/diesel shop and get the transmission fully built right, and not pieced together just to get it going.

ticat928

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Interesting that FCA has that much confidence in Dealership mechanics to allow them to attempt a transmission rebuild.

When I owned a 2010 Subaru Legacy a TSB specified that any issues with the transmission be remedied by a factory fresh new transmission in no case should a dealer attempt a repair!

I still own a 2006 LR3 which early on i signed up for a paid subscription to Repair bulletins since it was a completely new design with no reliability history.

One bulletin said in case of an oil leak at the rear main seal, a new engine would be shipped instead of the Dealer attempting a repair!

Cars and Trucks have gotten several orders of magnitude more complicated in the last 3 decades.

No one mechanic can be an expert on all the systems (as in 60+ on board computers) and electronic controlled transmissions with numerous high pressure high pressure actuators that if o-rings not properly seated during manufacture will create a slow death scenario.

Any internal leakage will reduce holding power of clutches and full excursion of actuators.

Hence other manufactures are learning it is less costly to send failed units back to the OEM supplier who have the expertise and give the Customer a new unit off the assembly line.

As these transmissions get even more complicated in the never ending pursuit of fuel economy, i am certain FCA will learn the error of their ways when they see the hit to the bottom line.

Knock on wood i have had very few issues with the 7 cars and Trucks (with the exception of failed front differential due to moisture on LR3) I have bought new off the lot in the last 20 years, but all were thoroughly test driven.

OP
OP
973604x4

973604x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
FCA called today and said the dealer can see me on Thursday. I was also informed that the dealer doesn’t have any loaners available so if I want a truck, I need to get a rental out of my own pocket and they will reimburse. I asked if I could get a statement in writing for them to agree to reimburse rental fees. The email I received addresses to me said “FCA will be willing to reimburse that customer for a rental.” Doesn’t sound like a promise to me.

I called the dealer to ask if they had heard from FCA and if any repairs had been authorized. Dealer said they haven’t heard from FCA and asked for the case number to inquire. I haven’t heard back from the dealer so I imagine they haven’t been able to reach my FCA case manager.

FCA told me again today that no settlement, buy back, or even trade up to a new Ram is available for discussion until my vehicle is repaired. I asked if there was a time limitation to that rule? No answer specified...

OP
OP
973604x4

973604x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
FCA would not return the dealer’s calls for work authorization. FCA would not provide definite guarantee that rental vehicle fees would be reimbursed. FCA did say that if the truck wasn’t returned to a dealer today, the case would be closed.

So my truck was dropped off at a dealer today. No loaner vehicle available. Wife and I had leave work early to make it happen. Wife then drove me 1.5 hours away to get my old ranch truck to drive around....