Transmission shift cable adjustment?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Noblenobles

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Ok so I have a 2013 1500 Hemi 4x4 and I had my short block rebuilt and I put it back together and put it all back in and We had not attached the exhaust back to the manifold. Aside from being loud I did not think it would do much so i drove it to work. On the way home I started to smell something burning and pulled over it was the foam around the transmission shift line. So I poured water to put it out and got in the truck and was going to just get to a gas station. When i tried to shift i got into reverse and then it wouldnt shift any further in either direction. I figured the cable was melted so I called a tow truck.
upon inspection I realized that it also melted the connector to a sensor right next to where the dipstick attached to the block. I believe this is the oil sending unit sensor?
I have bolted the exhaust on to the manifold and replaced the shift cable but it won’t shift. Now when i remove it from the topside ( under steering column) it moves freely leaving me to believe the cable needs to be adjusted. Can anyone help me?