Transmission/shifting totally different after wheel alignment - or coincidence?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BKMC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 PENTASTAR
I'm at a loss as to the recent change of my 2014 Ram 1500 with 8-speed transmission and v6 Pentastar.

I bought it with 32,000 miles and have put about 40,000 miles on it over the past 2 years.

It has always driven great for a 4x4, the transmission smooth shifting and never a question. Best truck I've ever owned.

WHAT I NOTICE:
a) Takes much longer to shift between some gears; often louder and higher RPM {I don't know how to see what gear it is in - though likely obvious}

b) Often (not always) eels like I'm pulling a herd of elephants. Just weighted down.
{no sign/smell of brakes hanging, but I've not had wheels taken off to be checked}.

c) Shifts more abrupt and has a minor "hum" feel on gas pedal (especially in mid-gears), downward on the most gentle of the slope; or takes a lot longer to shift upward - several hundred feet after being on a level or downward surface.

d) I've noticed yesterday that sometimes when I've pressed the gas pedal slightly, there is no reaction. It used to be very very sensitive. But I'd press a bit harder and nothing - no change in RPM, nothing. Then it would kick in.

It is no longer the same truck and I'm 100% at a loss. ANY IDEAS?

BACKGROUND
Almost two weeks ago I purchased brand new tires as our first snow of the season was approaching. Aside from the road noise difference, the truck drover perfectly, shifting perfectly as always.

Living in rural west Tennessee, I went to Clarksville to a national chain well known for service work, and had the truck aligned to ensure that there would not be any reason for tire wear.

The alignment package included checking of vital parts of the vehicle, including engine oil, transmission fluid, etc.

When the work was done, I got in the truck to drive the forty miles home, but immediately noticing that the transmission felt 100% different. Thinking it might be the tank of gas that I put in it, I kept going, but the odd shifting, hanging on at higher RPMs and shifting harder and lower.

When home I called back to the vendor and explained my concerns. I was told that most people feel their truck very different after an alignment, and to drive it several hundred more miles. I explained that it was not the road ride, but actual shifting, a louder noise at certain gears, and the appearance of what feels like a slight "hum," stronger at some gears.

I also noted that it was checked that transmission fluid was fine; but being a sealed transmission, I am curious how it was checked. I never got an answer. I was told to drive it longer and it should be fine.

No change. I called last week, leaving a message and never got a callback.

I took it last Monday to our Ram dealer that we've used (not Clarksville) and the manager went for a ride with me, listened, and then took it back for a look. He indicated that the transmission is sealed and that the vendor shouldn't have been able to tamper with it, and there were no error codes. It has the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty, and he said to bring it back if it continues or worsens, but their tests show nothing.

LASTLY:
The truck has had some issues since November. There was a bit of transmission fluid leaking one day and we immediately got it in. Though it is never off road, apparently "something" hit the plastic transmission cover . . . that was an EXPENSIVE repair on our part.

Shortly thereafter, the light switch mechanism went crazy - turning on or off the lights at will.

Thank you. I appreciate any assistance/input.

bkmccutchen at gmail.com

Docpaulo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Its probably your new tires... they are larger in diameter vs the worn ones and may be heavier... the pentastar being a weaker engine makes small differences noticeable...

The system may just need to relearn itself after you keep driving it

OP
OP
B

BKMC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 PENTASTAR
Docpaulo -
Thank you. However, I'd question the weight difference for a few inches of rubber . . . . but most of all, it ran as always for the 3.5 days up to my arrival for the alignment.

There have been a couple of times, today coming home from church being one, where I thought I smelled something burning - not electrical. Very faint. A couple of miles later when I got home, I'm crawling all over and under the truck sniffing and finding nothing.

The brakes are in need of service/replacement and I will ensure that nothing is hanging. But if so, I would think there would be a squeal or constant smell of brake pads in action.

Of note, of certain mid-gears being louder/more hum than others (never did before), if I maintain everything when driving ((not letting off the gas, etc) and switch to neutral, the noise/hum vibration stops and all I hear is the sound of regular road tread noise. Go back into drive, and its back to the same "new" experience.

Again, thank you.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I would ask the dealer what they think. They may want to reflash the computer and let the trans do a relearn.

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would ask the dealer what they think. They may want to reflash the computer and let the trans do a relearn.

OR, they may Have had something show up that needed a flash and they did it.

I swear, My truck did the same thing, but with opposite results. I pickled it up from the dealer and it runs better now than it ever did, like instantaneous throttle response.. They had to update programming or something.. I just haven't been back to ask about it yet.

Jotam3

Reaction score
Ram Year
I'm at a loss as to the recent change of my 2014 Ram 1500 with 8-speed transmission and v6 Pentastar.

I bought it with 32,000 miles and have put about 40,000 miles on it over the past 2 years.

It has always driven great for a 4x4, the transmission smooth shifting and never a question. Best truck I've ever owned.

WHAT I NOTICE:
a) Takes much longer to shift between some gears; often louder and higher RPM {I don't know how to see what gear it is in - though likely obvious}

b) Often (not always) eels like I'm pulling a herd of elephants. Just weighted down.
{no sign/smell of brakes hanging, but I've not had wheels taken off to be checked}.

c) Shifts more abrupt and has a minor "hum" feel on gas pedal (especially in mid-gears), downward on the most gentle of the slope; or takes a lot longer to shift upward - several hundred feet after being on a level or downward surface.

d) I've noticed yesterday that sometimes when I've pressed the gas pedal slightly, there is no reaction. It used to be very very sensitive. But I'd press a bit harder and nothing - no change in RPM, nothing. Then it would kick in.

It is no longer the same truck and I'm 100% at a loss. ANY IDEAS?

BACKGROUND
Almost two weeks ago I purchased brand new tires as our first snow of the season was approaching. Aside from the road noise difference, the truck drover perfectly, shifting perfectly as always.

Living in rural west Tennessee, I went to Clarksville to a national chain well known for service work, and had the truck aligned to ensure that there would not be any reason for tire wear.

The alignment package included checking of vital parts of the vehicle, including engine oil, transmission fluid, etc.

When the work was done, I got in the truck to drive the forty miles home, but immediately noticing that the transmission felt 100% different. Thinking it might be the tank of gas that I put in it, I kept going, but the odd shifting, hanging on at higher RPMs and shifting harder and lower.

When home I called back to the vendor and explained my concerns. I was told that most people feel their truck very different after an alignment, and to drive it several hundred more miles. I explained that it was not the road ride, but actual shifting, a louder noise at certain gears, and the appearance of what feels like a slight "hum," stronger at some gears.

I also noted that it was checked that transmission fluid was fine; but being a sealed transmission, I am curious how it was checked. I never got an answer. I was told to drive it longer and it should be fine.

No change. I called last week, leaving a message and never got a callback.

I took it last Monday to our Ram dealer that we've used (not Clarksville) and the manager went for a ride with me, listened, and then took it back for a look. He indicated that the transmission is sealed and that the vendor shouldn't have been able to tamper with it, and there were no error codes. It has the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty, and he said to bring it back if it continues or worsens, but their tests show nothing.

LASTLY:
The truck has had some issues since November. There was a bit of transmission fluid leaking one day and we immediately got it in. Though it is never off road, apparently "something" hit the plastic transmission cover . . . that was an EXPENSIVE repair on our part.

Shortly thereafter, the light switch mechanism went crazy - turning on or off the lights at will.

Thank you. I appreciate any assistance/input.

bkmccutchen at gmail.com
Hi BKMC, sorry to revive a dead thread. Wondering if you ever found a cause or solution to your issue. I’m going through the same exact ordeal now, though not with a RAM. This post came up in my Google search

I have a 2018 Lincoln Navigator, with a 10 speed 10R80 transmission. Drove the truck for thousands of miles and drove perfect. I brought it to get an alignment at a national chain place. The tech said once it was aligned, when he turned the car on the car would instantly turn the steering wheel about 10° counterclockwise (but the wheels remained straight). He said it was caused by the electronic steering system. So he connected their computer to it to try to correct it, but he wasn’t able to. They suggested I bring it to the dealer to get the steering corrected.

So I left the shop, driving straight meant the steering wheel was turned a little to the left. However, as soon as I left the shop, I instantly felt the transmission shifting completely differently. Very rough shifting from first to second, and occasionally slipping from 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th. I brought it back to them a few days later and they assured me it was impossible it was anything they did as the alignment isn’t at all related to the transmission (I agree with that statement obviously, but I’m at a loss as the truck arrived to the shop perfect and left with a bad-shifting transmission). But, they went ahead and scanned it for me and checked, and confirmed they found nothing electrical related to this issue. However, when I picked up the truck this time, they had somehow corrected the steering wheel’s angle, straight was now straight, so they did something.

Next I brought it to the dealership and asked them to run diagnostics on it, they say nothing comes up for them and they believe it’s a transmission failure. They wanted to charge me $2,000 to remove the transmission pan and inspect for metal shavings. I held off.

Now I’ve gone through with it myself, removed the transmission pan and then the filter. Fluid looks great, no metal shavings or any other particles. Everything looks very clean. I replaced all seals, gaskets, and filter and filled her up with fresh fluid. No change at all, same exact shifting issues.

I’ve plugged her up to an Autel OBD2 computer and scanned all the modules on it (52 modules on this car) and all coming up clear, no codes.

I’m at a loss now and don’t know what to try next.