Transmission Temp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
OP's last post in this thread was Nov. 13, 2019.

I hate when there is no follow up, and no way to know if the original problem ever was solved or not.

hawsk99gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Express 2016
Engine
Hemi 5.7
well as far as for me, my local dealer will not touch it under warranty unless it throws a code. So in other words when the transmission fails they will do something otherwise I will have to pay out of pocket for them to look at it. I told the dealer that I had a picture of the temp gage reading 240* at 70mph. He said that is not a good sign but he can't do anything till it gets that code. Makes no sense. I wonder if it is the heat exchange unit on this transmission. I recently had my coolant flushed and my manifold bolts replaced by the dealer. I wondering if anything from those procedures caused this issue.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
well as far as for me, my local dealer will not touch it under warranty unless it throws a code. So in other words when the transmission fails they will do something otherwise I will have to pay out of pocket for them to look at it. I told the dealer that I had a picture of the temp gage reading 240* at 70mph. He said that is not a good sign but he can't do anything till it gets that code. Makes no sense. I wonder if it is the heat exchange unit on this transmission. I recently had my coolant flushed and my manifold bolts replaced by the dealer. I wondering if anything from those procedures caused this issue.

Why don't you track down Caulk04 for one of his bypass plugs,and try it out.It's easy to reverse if it doesn't cure your tranny over heating issue,and there's no way to trace it if you end up having to reverse it and get the truck fixed under warrenty.For what one of Jesse's plugs cost and the 20 minutes it takes to install it,it'd be worth the piece of mind to try out.If it doesn't cure your issue,all you're out is maybe an hours time all told (1/2 hour to install,1/2 hour to uninstall)and 40 bucks.

8hp70 heater bypass | DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums

hawsk99gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Express 2016
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is there a link to get that part that he created? I would be willing to try it. I try to do my own servicing, like the basics: oil changes, belts, and brakes. I don't do FB so I have no other way to reach out to Caulk04 other than here. I can pay with PayPal.
And thanks for that link it was a good read.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Is there a link to get that part that he created? I would be willing to try it. I try to do my own servicing, like the basics: oil changes, belts, and brakes. I don't do FB so I have no other way to reach out to Caulk04 other than here. I can pay with PayPal.
And thanks for that link it was a good read.

You can message him,just clic on his name over on the side of one of his posts and it should let you message him.
Theres a couple threads kicking around about getting the 8 speed to run cooler,lol.

Here's another way of doing things,but in hindsight Jesse's / Caulk's plug is a better option,but CrazyKid and i were to far along by the time Jesse got involvled,lol

RevMax 8 speed thermostat bypass | Page 26 | DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Got CAULK04's thermo bypass today. Hopefully soon I will be able to install it.

It is even better then just having low trans temps, you can avoid losing a transmission from having oem bypass clogging, which I do believe has happened on this forum. As these oem bypasses get older, you can expect ram forum members who didnt bypass to lose a tranny here and there. Read ricks or jeffs bypass install thread, it is plug and play.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You just have to see if yours is on the grill or under it, two locations depending on model and year of truck.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Just drove from Fort Myers. FL to Blue Ridge, GA and then to Kings Mountain State Park, SC.

934 miles. 15 hours straight through, hit some heavy traffic, and construction along the way.

Was not towing, just had luggage, etc.

Transmission temp got no higher than 192° F, even coasting down the grades on the Smoky Mtn. expressway. I could feel the transmission downshift as the cruise was set.

Oil temp hit 221° F at a couple points.

2015 Ram 1500 QC 5.7L 2WD, 115K miles (116K now...lol). Bone stock.

Last edited:

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
make me feel worse why don't you. LOL. Glad yours isn't giving you trouble.

I really hope you get yours sorted out.

You obviously have an issue going on with yours, IMO.

I appears you are getting one of @caulk04 's plugs. I hope it helps your problem.

Is it just your trans temp going high like that?

hawsk99gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Express 2016
Engine
Hemi 5.7
yep just the trans temps. Oil and coolant are good. I am going to try something tomorrow. On a previous post not sure if it was this forum or not but someone was talking about how they got one of those Clamp-on Heatshields to rap around their exhaust that crosses under the transmission case to lower their temps. I bought one on a whim a few years a go and I just found it and I am going to try it and see if it reduces the temp. With all the things that have affected my truck with transmission replacement and exhaust manifold bolts being replaced on both sides. And I did swap out my stock muffler out with a Flowmaster last year, who knows what else could be causing my heat issue. But I will see if this buys me some time till I can really get in there to install the thermo by-pass plug that caulk04 provided me.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
I just drove 450 miles from Central Virginia to Nashville

About 68 degrees when I left and 52 now.

Trans temp ran about 155. I have a unicorn trans I believe
Oil temp ran 210
Coolant 199

I have a supercharger installed and a remote oil filter setup which affects Oil temp

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I wrapped the cross over on my exhaust a few days back and will see if it cooled down a little. before changing to a PPE pan if I remember correct 179 deg was about the max, did see 188 the other day. that is a lot of heat below the pan and aluminum transfers heat better than plastic.

hawsk99gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Express 2016
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wrapped mine this morning and drove around a little. Got up to 70mph for a couple of minutes. The highest it reached for running around town was 183*. I have to run to Atlanta Airport on Sunday and I'll report back on that run.

hawsk99gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Express 2016
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh and I'll be honest, I'm really not too sure where I am suppose to install that caulk04 plug by pass. I saw the heat exchange unit while I was wrapping the cross member of the exhaust. But to just get at that, my front wheel drive shaft is in the way. Otherwise where around there am I suppose go? Oh and you guys that are doing oil pan swaps with the deeper pans. Are you not almost touching the cross member of that exhaust pipe? As it is, it is pretty close to the stock pan already.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Oh and I'll be honest, I'm really not too sure where I am suppose to install that caulk04 plug by pass. I saw the heat exchange unit while I was wrapping the cross member of the exhaust. But to just get at that, my front wheel drive shaft is in the way. Otherwise where around there am I suppose go? Oh and you guys that are doing oil pan swaps with the deeper pans. Are you not almost touching the cross member of that exhaust pipe? As it is, it is pretty close to the stock pan already.

There's pictures on where it goes in both these threads.

RevMax 8 speed thermostat bypass | DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums.

8hp70 heater bypass | DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums