Trouble connecting iPhone Google Maps voice directions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Roon Dog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins I6 6.7L
For several months now I’ve had trouble getting my iPhone to connect to the Sirius radio to get Google Maps voice directions by phone calls. I don’t have the built-in navigation package, but found out the Google Maps iOS app gives you the option to send directions to the Sirius radio via short cell phone calls and the BT connection.

It used to work perfectly but over the last year or so, the two devices won’t make connections until I tell Siri to make a phone call (usually to my own phone). Once I’ve done that the nav instructions begin playing over the radio speakers as all incoming calls should - until the next ride in the truck, that is. Sometimes disconnecting and reconnecting the BT pairing fixes it.

This is somewhat intermittent - sometimes it works without further action on my part. But that’s increasingly rare now.

I have tried this with several different iPhones and the problem exists regardless.

I think the problem has something to do with three activities taking place all at the same time: the initial automatic re-pairing with the iPhone when I first get in the truck and start it, punching in the nav destination on the phone and having it sending the first instructions by phone call, and the radio transferring (or not) that voice call to the hands-free mode. In fact, sometimes I see the pop up prompt, “Do you want to transfer the incoming phone call to the hands free mode” flash for a split second on the screen. It doesn’t stay up long enough for me to respond to it.

Anyone else experiencing this issue? I can’t believe I’m the only one. It seems to clearly be a glitch in hand-shaking between iOS and UConnect. Since UConnect has the smaller market volume, you would think they’d do what it takes to adjust to the iPhone and make it work. That’s what a responsible company would do, right?

OP
OP
R

Roon Dog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins I6 6.7L
By the way UConnect and FCA, if you’re listening, this is a real safety issue since I’m typically fiddling with the phone and the radio trying to get them to work together as I’m going down the road at the start of each trip.