Truck Bounce

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MIchael JV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel Cummins 24 Valve
At around 30 to 40 MPH truck starts to bounce no bounce before 30 MPH and after 40 MPH smooths right out, I had a similar issue many years ago with a car found it was wheel balance. I would appreciate some experience feedback. I have been underneath truck and have not seen anything out of the ordinary. Thanks for any help

Bear_Gibson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
I would take it take have the wheels balanced and have them look for a bent wheel or defects in the tires. Have you used any fix a flat or tire slime? Just a thought.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

MIchael JV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel Cummins 24 Valve
Thanks for getting back to me. I have not used fix a flat or tire slime. Plan to do what you are suggesting. I am looking for input to better understand before I take the truck to a service shop. I do not know if I have struts or shocks problem or any other mechanical issues. I think if I had these issues the unbalance would be constant, any experience with this type of problem would be greatly appreciated.

Bear_Gibson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
I use to install my own tires the hard way, with tire irons. Some tires will shake less at speed. I can say for sure that the second gen rams (94-01) only have shocks, not struts. I'm betting a tire issue, wether it be the balance or irregularity. I had a set of Goodyear tires last year that could not be balanced out. The imbalance would come and go. If you get an outlandish story from your mechanic, ask them to show you. If it was something loose in the suspension it would do more than just shake. Btw 2wd or 4wd.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I have had a bubble on the inside wall of a very good brand of tires & that caused a strange ride at different speeds.

I will tell you that dealerships don't have a clue when it comes to tires or balancing tires.
Take it to a good reputable tire shop for the tires & wheels inspection.

With A early model vehicle with suspension issues, i would take the vehicle to a Alignment shop.
I use an alignment shop that works on Classic vehicles, Hot Rod Clubs go to the shop that i use.

OP
OP
M

MIchael JV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel Cummins 24 Valve
The problem was with the tires, decided to get new all the way around, the ride is very smooth at all speeds. Thanks for your input and help