Truck won’t start. No noise at all. ***Fixed***

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

phol2011

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 4.7L
Hoping to get some input so that I might be able to get my truck started in order to avoid a tow. Drove last night and stopped home to grab phone. Came back out and wouldn’t start. Dash lights up as normal but getting trouble lights posted in pics and no cranking or sounds other than the usual electrical start up (fuel pump, etc). *Just realized that the electronic throttle control indicator light isn’t shown since the open door light is on*
Within the past six months, the starter and battery have been replaced. Battery is at 12.5 and terminals are clean. Only thing I can think is that the truck is somehow thinking that it’s not in park so I tried to start from neutral position and still nothing. Any thoughts? Appreciate the help 2019949C-B4A9-49F1-89E0-8265C09C7F06.jpeg

Attachments

• 205970EC-EBCA-4726-99D7-9B019BD1A3EB.jpeg
    205970EC-EBCA-4726-99D7-9B019BD1A3EB.jpeg
    182.5 KB · Views: 23

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, ok ...your terminals look clean. Ordinarily I would say, have the battery checked (load tested). You could swing by Harbor Freight and get a cheap battery load tester and just verify it's good. When my battery went out, I'd driven my Ram all over in the AM ...then it suddenly wouldn't start. There was enough voltage. But it failed the load test spectacularly. At least it rule out battery issues. It's possible your alt isn't charging enough and the battery has just run low.

Simple things you can try on the road is, as you go to turn the key, use some upward pressure on the key itself. Try that a few times. And even just wiggling as you turn and hold the key. A real common issue on these trucks is the module behind your key (called a WINmodule) ...the contacts can get flakey inside over time...or just oxidized up. And a heavy keychain can wear them. I would try starting it a bunch of times using whatever wiggling method you can. If you get it running, don't stop till you get home. The thing behind the key isn't a normal key switch, it's a whole module with circuits and things. There could even be weak/broken contacts in it. Chrysler used these on a lot of vehicles and there's a ton of DIY fixes on Y/T.

Another issue on these trucks, esp older ones, is the start relay in the fuse box could be flaky. It's one of the removable cube relays. You might try to swap the starter relay with another (like) relay. And I would probably wiggle and make sure all the fuses are seated.

Then, because yours is a 2011, there were a lot of TIPM issues. Mostly a fuel pump relay on the circuit board. That's your truck's computer. But usually it'll crank and crank ..just not start. The fix for that was to get a rebuilt TIPM (Totally Integrated Powertrain Module), or a guy can just solder in a new $10 relay onto the board too.

Corrosion at the connector under the TIPM was an issue too for some owners. I've seen some badly corroded connectors on this site. I mean to the point where it was toast. Being in NJ ...that's always a possibility. You probably want to have the truck towed home (if your're the DIY sort) or to your mechanic's place (if you're not), for those last two.

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You could also pull down on that little plastic inspection door above your Left Front tire. There's a major ground there ...and they can get real corroded too.

On the fusebox near where the major cable connects is a main fuse. It's worth checking the connection and/or the fuse (looks like a bar). You can google it.

OP
OP
P

phol2011

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 4.7L
Well, ok ...your terminals look clean. Ordinarily I would say, have the battery checked (load tested). You could swing by Harbor Freight and get a cheap battery load tester and just verify it's good. When my battery went out, I'd driven my Ram all over in the AM ...then it suddenly wouldn't start. There was enough voltage. But it failed the load test spectacularly. At least it rule out battery issues. It's possible your alt isn't charging enough and the battery has just run low.

Simple things you can try on the road is, as you go to turn the key, use some upward pressure on the key itself. Try that a few times. And even just wiggling as you turn and hold the key. A real common issue on these trucks is the module behind your key (called a WINmodule) ...the contacts can get flakey inside over time...or just oxidized up. And a heavy keychain can wear them. I would try starting it a bunch of times using whatever wiggling method you can. If you get it running, don't stop till you get home. The thing behind the key isn't a normal key switch, it's a whole module with circuits and things. There could even be weak/broken contacts in it. Chrysler used these on a lot of vehicles and there's a ton of DIY fixes on Y/T.

Another issue on these trucks, esp older ones, is the start relay in the fuse box could be flaky. It's one of the removable cube relays. You might try to swap the starter relay with another (like) relay. And I would probably wiggle and make sure all the fuses are seated.

Then, because yours is a 2011, there were a lot of TIPM issues. Mostly a fuel pump relay on the circuit board. That's your truck's computer. But usually it'll crank and crank ..just not start. The fix for that was to get a rebuilt TIPM (Totally Integrated Powertrain Module), or a guy can just solder in a new $10 relay onto the board too.

Corrosion at the connector under the TIPM was an issue too for some owners. I've seen some badly corroded connectors on this site. I mean to the point where it was toast. Being in NJ ...that's always a possibility. You probably want to have the truck towed home (if your're the DIY sort) or to your mechanic's place (if you're not), for those last two.
Thanks. Took a look at the possible fixes but didn’t work unfortunately. Think I’m going to have to get it towed. Appreciate the input.

OP
OP
P

phol2011

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 4.7L
You could also pull down on that little plastic inspection door above your Left Front tire. There's a major ground there ...and they can get real corroded too.

On the fusebox near where the major cable connects is a main fuse. It's worth checking the connection and/or the fuse (looks like a bar). You can google it.
Took a look and one of the nuts looks pretty bad. Are either of these the ground?99218062-5F0C-47A6-96E5-F336826B2EE9.jpeg

OP
OP
P

phol2011

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 4.7L
Thanks. Took a look at the possible fixes but didn’t work unfortunately. Think I’m going to have to get it towed. Appreciate the input.
Is there any chance that this has to do with the alternator? Called autozone where I bought the battery last month and asked if there was anything that could have killed a cell and he said that it could be a bad alternator. I didn’t think the symptoms matched but my knowledge is limited.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I mean, there's no way to know about the battery w/o a good load test. And you can load test the alternator too, or just put a multimeter across the batt terminals and see if it reads 13.5V or so (as it's running). Which it isn't right now. Like I say, if you get a cheap harbor freight load tester it'll let you know immediately. Do your head lights come on?

Did you try jump starting it?

must not have the same grounds under that cover mine has.

Unfortunately there's a number of things it could be. A guy has to single out the obvious things and work backward from there. If it's not in your wheelhouse it might take you a long time to figure it out. If you don't do much DIY, have er towed to your trusted mechanic. Maybe it's something simple and easy to fix. (fingers crossed).

If you don't mind digging in, I'm sure with the knowledge on this forum, guys can help you figure it out. Depends how long you want to mess with it. Could be a day, could be 3 weeks..

OP
OP
P

phol2011

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 4.7L
I mean, there's no way to know about the battery w/o a good load test. And you can load test the alternator too, or just put a multimeter across the batt terminals and see if it reads 13.5V or so (as it's running). Which it isn't right now. Like I say, if you get a cheap harbor freight load tester it'll let you know immediately. Do your head lights come on?

Did you try jump starting it?

must not have the same grounds under that cover mine has.

Unfortunately there's a number of things it could be. A guy has to single out the obvious things and work backward from there. If it's not in your wheelhouse it might take you a long time to figure it out. If you don't do much DIY, have er towed to your trusted mechanic. Maybe it's something simple and easy to fix. (fingers crossed).

If you don't mind digging in, I'm sure with the knowledge on this forum, guys can help you figure it out. Depends how long you want to mess with it. Could be a day, could be 3 weeks..
Thanks. Tried to jump it and still nothing. Headlights come on and appear to be consistent. I’d get a load tester but time is my enemy right now. Might just have to get it towed and have them work on it. My luck, the 6 month old starter is bad. Might have been a remanufacture. Thanks for your help. I’ll post an update on here so that it might help someone in the future.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check the wire on the starter yellow one that slides on notorious for bad connection slide it off and on a few times also I have had 4 new starters fail recently not uncommon.

OP
OP
P

phol2011

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 4.7L
Check the wire on the starter yellow one that slides on notorious for bad connection slide it off and on a few times also I have had 4 new starters fail recently not uncommon.
Thanks. I’ll take a look at the wire in the morning. I was surprised to find out how common it is for them to fail. Appreciate the info.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If it does turn out to be your starter, that might be the cheapest and easiest fix (besides a failed battery), compared to some of the oddball issues some owners have run into.

FWIW, when my truck's battery crapped out (suddenly, like yours), it wouldn't allow me to jump start it either, or start using a charger (in the high-amp Start mode). So, hopefully it's the battery, starter or something quick & obvious. :waytogo:

OP
OP
P

phol2011

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 4.7L
You got it. Nudged the connector for the yellow wire on the starter with a piece of lumber (couldn’t reach it without jacking the truck up and after working all night, I wasn’t in the mood for that). Started right up. Going to reach out to mechanic today to see if anything can be done to avoid this in the future. Thanks for the help.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You got it. Nudged the connector for the yellow wire on the starter with a piece of lumber (couldn’t reach it without jacking the truck up and after working all night, I wasn’t in the mood for that). Started right up. Going to reach out to mechanic today to see if anything can be done to avoid this in the future. Thanks for the help.
Glad it was that simple sometimes when the plug is bad enough have to cut it off and replace it might just need a good clean.