Typical 6.4 exhaust noise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Om517

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
New member but have been doing a ton of research on here lately. Have also been looking on google and so on. I recently bought my first RAM and am quite happy with the truck. '16 Ram CC 2500 Tradesman 4x4 6.4. It runs like a Singer sewing machine but my only complaint so far is that it also sounds like a sewing machine.

In all my research, ive come across a few people that have said its a normal sound when you put a hemi in a 2500. The noise im referring to is a ticking sound much like an exhaust leak when you apply throttle. The ticking matches the rpms no matter the temperature. I can hear it echoing off of buildings and stuff with the windows down as well as with the windows up with the air and radio off. I also have read that people claim that its just a design flaw with the exhaust or engine noise resonating through the pipes. I can here the noise just a bit at idle and it very well does seem to be coming from the pipes under the truck. Its really driving me kinda crazy.
Most of the threads i have read are a few years old. Mainly im wondering if there has been a fix for this as of late? And i was wondering if any of you have experienced this problem. Im sure its nothing to worry about but i just want to be sure. Also having a brand new truck with this sound is kind of concerning. Yes, i will definitely mention it to the dealer on my first oil change at least to get it documented. Im pretty sure they will just tell me "normal hemi noise". And the dealer (including any other ram dealer) is over an hour away, so i want to make my trips worth it.
Anyways, thanks in advance to anybody with any information. And i also apologize for making my first post a complaint, but im very new to the RAM family. Just really looking for some help.

Mopar_Magic_Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Does it go away as the truck warms up?

*This message was sent from the exhaust of 6.4L Hemi...

OP
OP
O

Om517

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
No sir, always there no matter the temp when you mash the gas. I dont really think it gets quieter but maybe. Can hear it at cold idle and can barely hear it at warm/operating temp idle. Like i said, if you crawl under the truck, it sounds like its in the pipes.

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Mine does it cold but once warm you can't really hear it. I think a good muffler will drown it out.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
google hemi tick, some challenger owners complain all the time about the tick but its mainly the 5.7 engines, some have it some don't. Dealer will tell you its normal. Injectors will make some ticking too but the ticking challenger owners are talking about sounds more like lifters. There's youtube sound clips of it.

Heres a scat pack 392

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suNPSSpGvgc

OP
OP
O

Om517

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yeah ive looked at a lot of clips with the hemi tick. I dont know if what i have is considered that or not. Maybe im overreacting idk. My buddy just bought the same exact truck as me (ok he has a back up camera and i dont but at least they gave me floor mats) and we went for a ride. His does the exact same thing and makes the exact same noise. Maybe it is normal, idk, but im still gonna discuss this with the dealer. Thanks so far guys.

Underarock13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Ram 2500 14
Engine
6.4 hemi
Yup I know exactly what're you talking about. Under throttle sounds like a rattling Coke can ahaha. Welcome to the 6.4 ahaha. Weird noises and pops everyday ahaha. But always running solid.

SupermanWV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2015 CC does the same exact thing. And it's not the HEMI tick. I've owned 3 RAM 1500's, all of which had HEMI tick. So I know the what HEMI tick is. And this isn't it.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
i have the same thing. its the factory exhaust. supermanWV is correct. this is a different noise than the "hemi Tick"

do a muffler mod. it wil help.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I feel that larger displacement engines have sort of a ping sound when it goes through the pipes & a deep rumble when it gets to the end of the exhaust. It's even more prominent with a larger cam.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I did notice last night and this morning that the sound is almost completely gone after the truck is warm. which makes me think exhaust. big displacement engines are going to make more engine noise regardless.

Mopar_Magic_Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Mine has got better I think since new. It has over 5k miles on it now. It always has went away after a few min of runtime. Prob when the exhaust heated up.

*This message was sent from the exhaust of 6.4L Hemi...

OP
OP
O

Om517

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I really appreciate the help and info guys. Im starting to learn to live with it even tho i hear it more at idle but i think its because im always listening for it. Heard it on one the other day at work too. I really like the truck anyways. Gonna be taking a 8 hour round trip to Albany GA to pick up a boat wid my cousin so we will see if i like how it tows. Its only a 5k load so im expecting everything to go fine. I think im really gonna enjoy the truck. Its also good to know a muffler mod might help too, so i will prolly do that in the future. Thanks again everybody!

14RAM4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 4x4
Engine
6.4L Hemi
My 2015 6.4 is really noisy compared to the 5.7 i had in my 2014. I was also surprised at how crappy the 6.4 exhaust sounds compared to the 1500. I had a 1500 express with dual exhaust. On start up, the 1500 had a low throaty note with the stock muffler. When I walked up to the 2500 I expected a more aggressive sound than the 1500. For one, it's not throaty, but mild. Then it has a loud tapping from the engine that kind of overpowers the exhaust. When I really get on the skinny pedal, it sounds aggressive, but still no where near as nice as the 1500. Oh well, I needed a 2500 for my TT.

Sooner or later I'll "fix" the exhaust myself.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Agreed, the stock muffler setup is lacking. Considering how good the stock exhaust sounds on a Scat Pack car, you would think the engineers could spend a little more time tuning the trucks as well. Although I'd imagine MDS has something to do with the equation here as well.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Agreed, the stock muffler setup is lacking. Considering how good the stock exhaust sounds on a Scat Pack car, you would think the engineers could spend a little more time tuning the trucks as well. Although I'd imagine MDS has something to do with the equation here as well.

I think they made it sound like the a work truck because that is what it is designed for. They made it very "reserved" for longevity. A scat pack car wont last half as long as this truck, as they intended.

Just pointing out what i think

I still think it sounds like a work van off grand theft auto. Crap. I will be changing it to. Probobly end up getting the mufflex with the short magnaflow.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Not sure I understand how a more aggressive muffler would affect longevity in any way. Didn't expect it would sound just like a Scat Pack, but a little bit more throaty sound stock would be nice.

Reactions: U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Not sure I understand how a more aggressive muffler would affect longevity in any way. Didn't expect it would sound just like a Scat Pack, but a little bit more throaty sound stock would be nice.

Understand. They just went all out on that "theme"....imo. In the end most wont care what the stock exhuast sounds like and wont think twice about it and if someone wants a really throwty sounding exhaust there most likely going to get an aftermarket one regardless of what it sounds like stock. If you catch my drift.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Some people really wouldn't like MDS and a more agressive exhaust tone.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
I had an '04 Chevy with the 8.1 big-block. The truck was a complete POS, but the exhaust note was perfect for a work/tow truck. A perfect lub-lub-lub-lub rumble at idle made it clear there was some "action" in the engine room, and no annoying noise or drone when towing. That is what I was hoping for with my 6.4.