Typical 6.4 exhaust noise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 | 2500 SLT CC
Engine
6.4L w/ 4:10
finally came through. only took 4 hours.

so the video actually is exaggerating/amplifying the sound quite a bit. its not even close to this loud in reality. this is just after start up right after pulling out of my garage. you can hear it echoing off the house. it is ALL exhaust, on my truck at least. There is always going to be mechanical noise with big displacement push-rod engines. my Harley had a push-rod and it ticked just like this truck. and it never went away. the only thing that slightly helped it was 20w50 amsoil. there is no video when the truck is warm as the sound is gone when the truck gets to about 130 Fahrenheit.

first attempt on videos so bear with me. lest see how this works

http://vid823.photobucket.com/albums/zz151/kylejmills/IMG_1035_zpsj7ga4v1n.mp4

sorry its so short. I had to edit it down to get it to send.

That is a very familiar sound.

The 6.4 is a bit noisy idling out the the garage 1st thing in the morning, but for me it quiets down when put in neutral/park or in gear under a load.

As said before, when warm it's just normal engine sounds.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Yep x3....the 6.4L motor does not purr like a kitten.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks guys, doesn't sound too bad

SETEX 6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

so the video actually is exaggerating/amplifying the sound quite a bit. its not even close to this loud in reality. this is just after start up right after pulling out of my garage. you can hear it echoing off the house. it is ALL exhaust, on my truck at least. There is always going to be mechanical noise with big displacement push-rod engines. my Harley had a push-rod and it ticked just like this truck. and it never went away. the only thing that slightly helped it was 20w50 amsoil. there is no video when the truck is warm as the sound is gone when the truck gets to about 130 Fahrenheit.

I hear that in mine and I have a FM 50 Series HD that I just replace factory muffler with and adding a section of pipe and cut the res off and just have pipe dumping behind my axle.
That is engine noise be large displacement and does quiet down when warmed up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
My 6.4 is noticeably louder than the 5.7 was in my 2014 1500. Doesn't even bother me after 10k miles, but really did at first.

OP
OP
O

Om517

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thats my truck as well. Once it warms, you cant really hear it at idle, only with throttle. Thanks for posting that.

Reactions: U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
My 2016. 2500HD has what I would refer to as a chirping noise coming from the passenger side. (not Hemi Tick) Dealer says it's the EGR tube under the right side exhaust header. Kind of sounds like an idler bearing going bad but that's not it. Get the noise under load and when cold. Let up on the gas and it goes away until you give it a little gas again. Started out intermittent but has now gotten progressively worse. Very annoying. You can hear it radiate off buildings with the passenger window down. Dealer recognizes the issue and has stated there is not a fix that warranty will cover.
I wonder if this TSB 16-0696 2016 for EGR will solve the issue?

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I wanted to buy a new PW but dang after hearing this I'm not sure now, this 6.4 engine noise sounds terrible.

Is this the sound all of you have?

WOW! That second video is BAD! Mine has never sounded like that for more than a second or two. And it only does it then if it is colder out & has been sitting for 2 or 3 days. Wonder what kind of oil is being put into this truck?

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD

This is what I am referring to as that large displacement ping through the exhaust. Seems like all the old muscle cars with big block engines would sound like this at idle.

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
My 2016. 2500HD has what I would refer to as a chirping noise coming from the passenger side. (not Hemi Tick) Dealer says it's the EGR tube under the right side exhaust header. Kind of sounds like an idler bearing going bad but that's not it. Get the noise under load and when cold. Let up on the gas and it goes away until you give it a little gas again. Started out intermittent but has now gotten progressively worse. Very annoying. You can hear it radiate off buildings with the passenger window down. Dealer recognizes the issue and has stated there is not a fix that warranty will cover.
I wonder if this TSB 16-0696 2016 for EGR will solve the issue?
That exactly explains mine too, NOT the knocking video sound. When FULLY warm I hear the slightest tick at lower rpm's. I here an mufflex/magnaflow in my future.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
That exactly explains mine too, NOT the knocking video sound. When FULLY warm I hear the slightest tick at lower rpm's. I here an mufflex/magnaflow in my future.

I checked with my dealer. They did the EGR TSB at 6k miles. I now have 24k. I don't remember having the noise before 6k so I'm wondering if the new EGR has caused issues. The noise has gotten progressively worse. I guess a better description of the noise would be a bunch of crickets.

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
a chirpy exhaust sound under the engine. I thought manifold leak or idler/tensioner, or just normal. I'm at 7 K mi. Truck runs good.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine does the same thing, really really irritates me. It’s very noticeable when next to objects like cars, walls,

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
Was at a light exact same truck as mine , sounded same too as he took off

7091ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
70 and 91 and 99
Engine
383 and Cummins and 360
I don't understand all of the comments about that just being normal with big cube motors. My younger days of bored and stroked 440 motors in my 65 sportfury and my 70 440 pickup did not and do not have the tick then or now although I have put a 12v in the pickup

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
a chirpy exhaust sound under the engine. I thought manifold leak or idler/tensioner, or just normal. I'm at 7 K mi. Truck runs good.

Mine does the same thing, really really irritates me. It’s very noticeable when next to objects like cars, walls,

UPDATE: Got an appt. next week at the dealer for an oil change and rotation, they are going to see what it is.

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
Dealer said that the 6.4 has the cats back much farther than the 5.7 more so on the drivers side. They checked all exhaust gaskets studs manifold, pipe connections found no leaks. not throwing codes. Lifters sounded fine.Time for an upgrade to the exhaust, too quiet on the 6.4.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
The 6.4 is shockingly quiet stock. Simple muffler swap alone changed mine dramatically.

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
The 6.4 is shockingly quiet stock. Simple muffler swap alone changed mine dramatically.

Yeah, Im probably going to order the mufflex/magnaflow DOD250035, don't need anything too fancy. I'll see what it sounds like with and without the resonator and go from there.

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine

Found a clip of a 2014 PW 6.4 cool vid, but The sound I hear at the beginning and 1:18 and beyond is just like mine, when cold and shifting in and out of gear. in the comments section, the poster (110 degrees)"It was the pulley within the alternator. The dealer has since replaced the alternator and the sound went away. Good observation! I hated that noise." Mine was checked at the dealer and found to be normal. Some of the noise in mine is exhaust , but the chirp is weird.Time will tell.

kiloRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I like the way that PW sounds. I'm always inside my truck, so I can't really tell what it sounds like on the outside.