Typical 6.4 exhaust noise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
I like the way that PW sounds. I'm always inside my truck, so I can't really tell what it sounds like on the outside.
On youtube under the comments He said he had a Flowmaster 50 series and leaving the resonator on with the tailpipe shortened to not hang down.

rammerrodder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i know this is an old thread but has anyone eliminated the sewing machine noise with headers? i'd love to have shorties because long tubes are stupid expensive but i see no one makes them.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
The sewing machine noise is the injectors.

Though headers may help mask the noise.

The 6.4 is a noisy SOB. Is what it is.

Redline oil with quiet general engine noise but the sweing machine is just a character of the 6.4 imo.

Let them injectors sing

Dmopar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I wanted to buy a new PW but dang after hearing this I'm not sure now, this 6.4 engine noise sounds terrible.

Is this the sound all of you have?

So the second video was my truck, had the engine replaced 17,000 miles ago, haven't heard that knock since. Turned out to be piston slap, wore the Teflon coating right off of two pistons

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
So the second video was my truck, had the engine replaced 17,000 miles ago, haven't heard that knock since. Turned out to be piston slap, wore the Teflon coating right off of two pistons

That is nothing like mine . mine sounds like the power wagon I posted above # 59 (not mine) at idle , when cold . it's chirpy exhaust according to the "experts" at the dealer, from the Y pipe. No exhaust leaks found or valve train noises that aren't "normal"

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My wife and I went and looked at a new f-250 with the 6.2. The first thing out of her mouth when we got back in our truck was that the f-250 sounded like a real truck and ours sounds like a family Sedan..
I kinda like the quiet myself.. But sometimes it's tempting to put some noise back there.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
My wife and I went and looked at a new f-250 with the 6.2. The first thing out of her mouth when we got back in our truck was that the f-250 sounded like a real truck and ours sounds like a family Sedan..
I kinda like the quiet myself.. But sometimes it's tempting to put some noise back there.

Unless somebody starts making one I plan on making my own Y pipe eventually to see how that changes the sound.

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Unless somebody starts making one I plan on making my own Y pipe eventually to see how that changes the sound.
I'd be interested in seeing how that turned out as well. Not a bad idea.

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
I have laid under the y pipe when cold start and it seems to be coming from that area. When warm its almost gone. Other 6.4's Ive heard start, most aren't as pronounced as mine.

rammerrodder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
mine ticks cold or warm. it is sounds like it's coming from the manifold/y-pipe area. it doesn't have any exhaust leaks. i can't hear it in the cab with the windows up but i tell yeah i hear it echo off everything i pass with the windows down. that's my only complaint with this thing. i purchased it over the winter and i tell ya if i would have heard it then i probably would've gotten the diesel instead.

Jordan patterson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Sorry to revive an old thread... but that noise is making me nuts on my 15 Power Wagon. I definitely feel like that noise is coming from the cats/Y pipe.... anyone replace cats on their 6.4 and get rid of that sound? I'll probably just throw a flowmaster under there and drown it out but if I could swap cats to get rid of it I would!

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
You live in Maui, drive a Power Wagon, and your biggest problem is lifter noise. I for one feel really bad for you :D

Seriously though, I have catted ARH headers on my truck and can't say I've heard any unusual noises as others described. It's been so long that I've forgotten what a stock truck sounds like. But if you want to spend the money it will definitely make you happier than a Dronemaster.

rammerrodder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
revive away. i'm still searching the internet weekly for a fix for the noisy sob. i still haven't found anything yet. i'd like to know if any of the cars have this same issue or if it's just truck thing. this is the only thread that i have found were people have experienced the same noise and understand that it's not the hemi tick.

chadackers1979

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 392
The Noise is so annoying has anybody tried wrapping the y pipe or putting sound insulation on the body near the y pipes or cat area. I’ve already done my cat back exhaust and that it make the noise go away! If anything it’s made it worse !

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
Replaced the 60 lb can, with 3.5" FM stainless Super 40 and 30" pipe, still have the resonator. Thought I might remove it, but over six months its gotten louder. No drone, cold start sounds loud, cruising can hardly hear it , passing sounds beastly.Chirps still there, but don't notice it much.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Stock muffler is a beast.

Ram2500Muffler_zpshdeadddv.jpg

rammerrodder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The Noise is so annoying has anybody tried wrapping the y pipe or putting sound insulation on the body near the y pipes or cat area. I’ve already done my cat back exhaust and that it make the noise go away! If anything it’s made it worse !

i really don't think it's the exhaust anymore. i believe it's a mechanical issue like lifters that resonate through the exhaust. has anyone done a mds delete with the srt or performance aftermarket lifters and eliminated that nasty sound?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca