UAV 8.4 nav upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone done the UAV nav upgrade? I guess there is an issue with the cabin temp sensor and climate does not actually work on these yet. Has anyone experienced this yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Has anyone done the UAV nav upgrade? I guess there is an issue with the cabin temp sensor and climate does not actually work on these yet. Has anyone experienced this yet?

Many have done it without issue. The cabin temp sensor doesn’t come into play unless you want auto climate control. What’s not working on yours?

Brian Lee

US Air Foirce Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I converted mine over from a 5 inch screen to the 8.4 w/nav. I opted to change mine to include the auto temp and everything has been working great.

OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Even HDs are being done without issue. What exactly are you having issues with, and what are you experiencing?

I talked to infotainment, they said 2500+ with the computerized climate control need a new temp sensor, which isnt developed yet

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I talked to infotainment, they said 2500+ with the computerized climate control need a new temp sensor, which isnt developed yet
We can’t help you if you don’t explain to us what issues you are experiencing. The UAV swap is successfully being done in 2500+ trucks originally equipped with single zone manual temperature controls, without going through infotainment. My guess is, their genie that you used is changing the climate control configuration in the BCM to automatic temperature control. Without the cabin temp sensor, the duct temp sensors, and the correct solar sensor in your truck, the HVAC controls won’t operate properly. All of these sensors exist, because, well...you can buy an HD Ram from the factory with a UAV radio and auto temp control. You probably just need to change the HVAC configuration back to single zone manual temperature controls with AlfaOBD.

OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We can’t help you if you don’t explain to us what issues you are experiencing. The UAV swap is successfully being done in 2500+ trucks originally equipped with single zone manual temperature controls, without going through infotainment. My guess is, their genie that you used is changing the climate control configuration in the BCM to automatic temperature control. Without the cabin temp sensor, the duct temp sensors, and the correct solar sensor in your truck, the HVAC controls won’t operate properly. All of these sensors exist, because, well...you can buy an HD Ram from the factory with a UAV radio and auto temp control. You probably just need to change the HVAC configuration back to single zone manual temperature controls with AlfaOBD.

Being quiet clear, climate control does not work with UAV/UAX units. Zone control works, speed works, temperature does not. Its either "Full Cold" or "Full Hot". This is coming straight from infotainment support. The genie checked out they trouble-shooted it and everything was okay.

Tradesman (maybe bighorns?) 2500+ trucks do not have the compatible cabin temperature sensor to what ever the UAV/X need. Its a different part number which is confirmed by my local Chrysler. I called corp Chrysler and they know this problem exists because people who leverage a sale with a swap have been running into this problem. Chrysler is releasing a new sensor for swaps near the end of fall.

I am going to down swap to the UAM, im only concerned about audio quality. I personally liked the nav, but i'll survive.

If you have other information chrysler and infotainment dont, id love to know and fix it.

skuppy069

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 cc
Engine
hemi 5.7
Being quiet clear, climate control does not work with UAV/UAX units. Zone control works, speed works, temperature does not. Its either "Full Cold" or "Full Hot". This is coming straight from infotainment support. The genie checked out they trouble-shooted it and everything was okay.

Tradesman (maybe bighorns?) 2500+ trucks do not have the compatible cabin temperature sensor to what ever the UAV/X need. Its a different part number which is confirmed by my local Chrysler. I called corp Chrysler and they know this problem exists because people who leverage a sale with a swap have been running into this problem. Chrysler is releasing a new sensor for swaps near the end of fall.

I am going to down swap to the UAM, im only concerned about audio quality. I personally liked the nav, but i'll survive.

If you have other information chrysler and infotainment dont, id love to know and fix it.
Is there a TSB out for this ?
If there is a known issue and they are working on it there should be a recall or TSB etc

Brian Lee

US Air Foirce Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I have a 2018 Ram 2500. I have installed the UAQ (w/Nav). I also installed the auto temp sensor and extra required wiring for it and converted it over from 4 speed to 7 speed. When I adjust the temp up and down it goes in one degree increments. If you check out the thread in the 4th gen DIY there is a thread for it. It may be quite long, I think it's over 100 pages but most questions are answered there. There may be some differences with your 2019 versus the 2018 model year, but I know there was some discussion on it in that thread. check it out.

OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is there a TSB out for this ?
If there is a known issue and they are working on it there should be a recall or TSB etc

Its only a problem when its going into a truck "aftermarket".

From my understanding there are two difference cabin air sensors for tradesmans and Laramie for example. So when you throw a Laramie HU in a Tradesman you need a new sensor, but i guess the Laramie sensor doesnt work in tradesman. So chrysler is making a new sensor for this specifc application.

Again, this is what was told to me by Chrysler and Infotainment, could be misinformation.

This seems to only effect heavy dutys.

OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2018 Ram 2500. I have installed the UAQ (w/Nav). I also installed the auto temp sensor and extra required wiring for it and converted it over from 4 speed to 7 speed. When I adjust the temp up and down it goes in one degree increments. If you check out the thread in the 4th gen DIY there is a thread for it. It may be quite long, I think it's over 100 pages but most questions are answered there. There may be some differences with your 2019 versus the 2018 model year, but I know there was some discussion on it in that thread. check it out.

I think there is massive differences between the 2018-2019 when it comes to its computer systems.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Its only a problem when its going into a truck "aftermarket".

From my understanding there are two difference cabin air sensors for tradesmans and Laramie for example. So when you throw a Laramie HU in a Tradesman you need a new sensor, but i guess the Laramie sensor doesnt work in tradesman. So chrysler is making a new sensor for this specifc application.

Again, this is what was told to me by Chrysler and Infotainment, could be misinformation.

This seems to only effect heavy dutys.
You are being misinformed, by both infotainment and Chrysler. The cabin temp sensor part number is 55111178AC. There is only one cabin temp sensor in existence for all Ram trucks from 2013-2020. That same cabin temp sensor is used for most other FCA vehicles going back to 2011. If you have manual temperature controls, then you don’t have a cabin temp sensor, as it’s only used for the automatic temperature control HVAC system. The location for the sensor is in the knee panel under the steering column in front of your right knee. It looks like slots for a microphone or speaker. Reach up behind there and see if there is a sensor there. If you just want your temperature controls to work manually, like they did before, you will need AlfaOBD. If you want your temperature controls to work automatically, and 100% correct, then you’ll have to add that cabin temp sensor, a different solar sensor, and the 4 in-duct temperature sensors (which requires dash removal). You can get automatic temperature controls to work acceptably by just adding the cabin temp sensor and the different solar sensor. Either way, you’ll need AlfaOBD to get anything to work right at this point, because who knows what infotainment’s genie changed.
Oh, and if you send that unit back and go for the UAM, that means whatever settings their genie changed must be reverted. They told another member a few months back that he would have to take it to the dealer to restore the vehicle configuration to change them back. If they tell you the same thing, I would demand a genie that reverts the BCM settings, since you are basically being used as their test dummy.

Last edited:

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Yet another Infotainment disaster thread. This probably the 5th or 6th thread I have seen where Infotainment does not provide good support to their PAYING customers and those customers have to come here for support and / or the facts. I know they have a slick web site, their schtick sounds good and they charge a lot of money but it seems in a number of cases they don't deliver and their support is lacking.

Between MPGrimm2, Jimmy07, DeereGuy and others there is no reason to go to commercial vendors for poor service and deficient knowledge. These forum vendors and contributors are the ones who pioneered these swaps that are being badly duplicated by others. Support the forum vendors for these swaps, You will be much happier and your wallet will be heavier.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have seen so much incorrect information put out by Infotainment lately it's ridiculous. I'm honestly not sure why some people seem to think they are the go to source for knowledge and upgrades in these trucks. The truth is they aren't. 90% of what they sell is figured out here and then badly copied. Their Genie is outdated and can only enable whatever codes you payed for and is ridiculously expensive. The Alfa tool is $49 and does 10 times what the Genie can do. Take Jimmy07's advice. He knows what he's talking about.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You are being misinformed, by both infotainment and Chrysler. The cabin temp sensor part number is 55111178AC. There is only one cabin temp sensor in existence for all Ram trucks from 2013-2020. That same cabin temp sensor is used for most other FCA vehicles going back to 2011. If you have manual temperature controls, then you don’t have a cabin temp sensor, as it’s only used for the automatic temperature control HVAC system. The location for the sensor is in the knee panel under the steering column in front of your right knee. It looks like slots for a microphone or speaker. Reach up behind there and see if there is a sensor there. If you just want your temperature controls to work manually, like they did before, you will need AlfaOBD. If you want your temperature controls to work automatically, and 100% correct, then you’ll have to add that cabin temp sensor, a different solar sensor, and the 4 in-duct temperature sensors (which requires dash removal). You can get automatic temperature controls to work acceptably by just adding the cabin temp sensor and the different solar sensor. Either way, you’ll need AlfaOBD to get anything to work right at this point, because who knows what infotainment’s genie changed.
Oh, and if you send that unit back and go for the UAM, that means whatever settings their genie changed must be reverted. They told another member a few months back that he would have to take it to the dealer to restore the vehicle configuration to change them back. If they tell you the same thing, I would demand a genie that reverts the BCM settings, since you are basically being used as their test dummy.

What happens if I swap to UAM without restoring back my BCM?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have seen so much incorrect information put out by Infotainment lately it's ridiculous. I'm honestly not sure why some people seem to think they are the go to source for knowledge and upgrades in these trucks. The truth is they aren't. 90% of what they sell is figured out here and then badly copied. Their Genie is outdated and can only enable whatever codes you payed for and is ridiculously expensive. The Alfa tool is $49 and does 10 times what the Genie can do. Take Jimmy07's advice. He knows what he's talking about.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Is there a vendor here that sells OEM stereos.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

flyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

Upgraded mine a couple months ago and it works fine.