Uconnect 5 Sucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

colport833

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 Classic
Engine
hemi
Hi all...2022 1500 Classic...came with In my opinion ...downgraded untested radio..first week I owned it Xm never worked...thought what the hell..factory reset...Xm works..for awhile...usually boots on to preview channel...once in awhile satellite error signal lost..factory reset...dealership says latest software. Can the previous radios be put back in? 2023 Jeep Willys has previous version..so its out there...fustrating issues...besides the Radio...great truck.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yeah, lots of complaints about the U5 system. Wife has had a bunch of issues with the one in her 21 Pacifica. They are finally replacing it, we're just waiting for the part to come in. It's had a range of issues. The 12" in my 22 2500 has been good so far, thankfully. About all you can do is keep taking it to the dealer and tell them you want a replacement.

As far as retrofitting an older system, I'm not sure.

Last edited:

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hi all...2022 1500 Classic...came with In my opinion ...downgraded untested radio..first week I owned it Xm never worked...thought what the hell..factory reset...Xm works..for awhile...usually boots on to preview channel...once in awhile satellite error signal lost..factory reset...dealership says latest software. Can the previous radios be put back in? 2023 Jeep Willys has previous version..so its out there...fustrating issues...besides the Radio...great truck.
I'd imagine there will be a firmware update that corrects the reported issues. Many launches now are released with the idea that "we'll fix it later just send it as is"...

Reverting to an earlier hardware version is likely not possible without loosing functionality or pioneering a new modification harness yourself (there won't be people making them aftermarket as there won't be a market for this).

In other words, these are likely growing pains that will be addressed soon via updates.

Ramisgood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

I don't want to burst your bubble but UConnect 8.4 sux also. It took the radio in our 2018 4 years to get demonized but that it did. Our 2022 had its first radio replaced but the replacement is worse than the original. Warranty is useless; all you get is a one finger salute by Stellantis and UConnect.

Like you, I love my Rams but the radios and support are pure garbage. I've spent a lot of money for complete BS and lies from the stealership. Hope you have better luck.

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't want to burst your bubble but UConnect 8.4 sux also. It took the radio in our 2018 4 years to get demonized but that it did. Our 2022 had its first radio replaced but the replacement is worse than the original. Warranty is useless; all you get is a one finger salute by Stellantis and UConnect.

Like you, I love my Rams but the radios and support are pure garbage. I've spent a lot of money for complete BS and lies from the stealership. Hope you have better luck.
Only issue I have with the 8.4 in my Ram was the screen. Damn screen is crap from factory. I did "force" the update to the 39.4 FW from this forum, as it wouldn't save my Android phone volume between boots, and the iPhone volume (voice for both, not music) would reset ANY TIME THE DAMN POS SPOKE. But those are the only issues I have had I can't blame on the stealership not fixing the BCM/Radio properly after a "recall". (They should have had the mid-grade mirror in, sold it with the base mirror, and when they fixed it, they didn't get Uconnect to "re-poll" the BCM for config, so I couldn't do **** with the autodimming mirror setting for about 18 months until the battery died.)

18harvest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Only way to tell would be take out the radio and see if they use some sort of adapter harness on the wiring harness.i would not think they would have a whole new dash harness for a 10 year old platform that may end at any time just for one specific radio.uaqs and ra2s are still available.of course ram may be like ford and do something that's make no sense like that.

Cmdr Bear

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Was wondering if anyone else thinks it strange that Uconnect support refuses to use email correspondence to help us address these issues?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I have been wondering about the Uconnect Versions

My 2016 Ram w/ the 8.4AN infotainment system, ( Radio ), has Uconnect 3 version

Many 2018 model year FCA vehicles will be upgraded with Uconnect 4, which is the next-generation of infotainment systems. Uconnect is the infotainment system used by many FCA vehicles, and today we're going to look at the capabilities of 8.4 and the new generation Uconnect 4.
Nov 8, 2017

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I don't know what Uconnect version is in my 2015 with the 8" display but it is reliable, and hasn't given me any issues.

My 2022 came with Uconnect 5. At delivery it wasn't working 100% but I read a reset would fix that and it did. Now the only issues I have are the forced updates, every time with an exception to the last update, the updates have caused new issues.

Right now, Uconnect 5 seems to be working 100% and I am seriously thinking about pulling the antenna feed off the back of the unit to stop any more forced updates.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I don't know what Uconnect version is in my 2015 with the 8" display but it is reliable, and hasn't given me any issues.

My 2022 came with Uconnect 5. At delivery it wasn't working 100% but I read a reset would fix that and it did. Now the only issues I have are the forced updates, every time with an exception to the last update, the updates have caused new issues.

Right now, Uconnect 5 seems to be working 100% and I am seriously thinking about pulling the antenna feed off the back of the unit to stop any more forced updates.
You will also need to delete any WiFi network you may have added to it as the UConnect 5 radios have the ability to pull their OTAs from WiFi. There is also a small chance that removing just the antenna connection from the radio will leave enough signal in some instances to still receive OTAs. Unplugging the antenna reduces signal reception greatly, but doesn't eliminate it entirely.

Personally, UConnect 4C is the best/fastest version of UConnect IMO. I like that 5 is Android based but it is slow and laggy. I might see if their is any Android development going on with these radios on XDA.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
You will also need to delete any WiFi network you may have added to it as the UConnect 5 radios have the ability to pull their OTAs from WiFi. There is also a small chance that removing just the antenna connection from the radio will leave enough signal in some instances to still receive OTAs.
I knew about WiFi but I never set that up.

About the only mitigation I can come up with is to short the antenna input, the issue with that is I could damage the transmitter if it is a polling type which it likely is. I may want to re-enable the cell link, you never know, RAM may decide to allow us to select if an update can be installed.

If they would only regression test their releases, that would put an end to the issues their releases cause.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I've had no problems from the 2-3 updates on my 12" U5 system. Just did another one yesterday. My U5 system has been good from new, and the updates to not change that. The only thing I'm having trouble with is it does not retain my TTPMS settings. Hoping the new release changes that, but have not tested it yet.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I've had no problems from the 2-3 updates on my 12" U5 system. Just did another one yesterday. My U5 system has been good from new, and the updates to not change that. The only thing I'm having trouble with is it does not retain my TTPMS settings. Hoping the new release changes that, but have not tested it yet.
The last UC5 update fixed the previous UC5 update that removed manual control of some of the cameras on MY 2022 and earlier vehicles equipped with the 360-degree camera system.

TTPMS? Is the tire pressure monitor for a trailer? Did it ever remember the pressure settings?

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The last UC5 update fixed the previous UC5 update that removed manual control of some of the cameras on MY 2022 and earlier vehicles equipped with the 360-degree camera system.

TTPMS? Is the tire pressure monitor for a trailer? Did it ever remember the pressure settings?
The lastest update I installed yesterday, 27.46, seems to have fixed the TTPMS issue. I didn't even have to re-pair them. As soon as the update finished, the trailer tire pressures showed up on the EVIC.

It would remember the settings before, but only until I shut the truck off. Then they were gone and I'd get a message to pair them.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You will also need to delete any WiFi network you may have added to it as the UConnect 5 radios have the ability to pull their OTAs from WiFi. There is also a small chance that removing just the antenna connection from the radio will leave enough signal in some instances to still receive OTAs. Unplugging the antenna reduces signal reception greatly, but doesn't eliminate it entirely.

Personally, UConnect 4C is the best/fastest version of UConnect IMO. I like that 5 is Android based but it is slow and laggy. I might see if their is any Android development going on with these radios on XDA.
Makes me happy I got a 5th Gen with 8.4 screen, ma and pa Plain Jane Uconnect 4, no NAV, 911 or any of that junk or OTA's. Still on original software version from 2018 when truck was built, and does as advertised. IMHO, sometimes Newer is not Better.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Makes me happy I got a 5th Gen with 8.4 screen, ma and pa Plain Jane Uconnect 4, no NAV, 911 or any of that junk or OTA's. Still on original software version from 2018 when truck was built, and does as advertised. IMHO, sometimes Newer is not Better.
That radio will do OTA updates. Do you know what your version is? It's possible you didn't notice the updates (they often aren't noticeable changes).

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Neva done an ota, still on 17.45 sumthing ref os. Talked to my SA when 1st got, only updates done by dealer, and I have never had it done. As long as works, not wanna brick radio, LOL.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The U5 12" system in my 22 Ram is at least as fast as the U4 8.4" system I had in my 18 Ram. No lag anywhere that I've noticed. But the U5 system in my wife's 21 Pacifica is kind of slow at times.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I like your idea of disconnecting the radio antenna to prevent updates but you may be risking damage to the radio and as mentioned, that may not completely isolate the radio from OTA updates.

One concept that I would suggest exploring is disconnecting the antenna and adding an RF terminator to the radio.

With the input which is also an output, properly terminated, your radio should be isolated from any future updates and the output stage of the transmitter will be protected from being damaged.

You would require to determine the antenna impedance, if I had to guess, it would be 50 ohm.

Another crude but functional method would be to obtain another antenna with the cable and connector from a wrecker or junked vehicle, connect that to the radio and place this antenna into a Faraday box or bag.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The U5 12" system in my 22 Ram is at least as fast as the U4 8.4" system I had in my 18 Ram. No lag anywhere that I've noticed. But the U5 system in my wife's 21 Pacifica is kind of slow at times.
Yeah, my only experience is with my wife's 22 Pacifica and it feels like a step down from the UConnect 4C OS (slower and too busy).