UCONNECT bricked?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

konfuzed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 liter Hemi
Well I'm pissed.
Ever since I done the last OVER the air update 17.11.17 i have been getting an error message "service vehicle phone (9-1-1), also (idk if it's related or not) occasionally when I start my truck the uconnect screen will stay black for about 3 mins then finally boot up. I had the dealer look at it back in January and they could not duplicate the problem. I have spent most of the morning on the phone with uconnect support, they instructed me to install the new update. So I downloaded it to a USB thumb drive and it gets stuck at 72% and freezes then boot loops. I re- downloaded the file and re-formatted the thumb drive and tried it again, hoping that the file on the drive was corupt... nope still freezes at 72%. So I went to the dealer and they said that in order to try the update they would charge me 2 hours labor $270 and could not guaranty that it would work. Said that if I replaced the unit, it would fix it for $991 but probably the best thing to do would be to purchase an extended warranty for a little more that way it would cover the radio and everything else.
Has anyone had this issue or have any idea that could help me out... nothing works, i can't even control the a/c controls bc of this ****!

34107149_10157470620688574_6976173095216218112_n.jpg

34088647_10157470620548574_1401797593641517056_n.jpg

34102765_10157470620618574_8478303246606139392_n.jpg

OP
OP
konfuzed

konfuzed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 liter Hemi
I have been on the phone with uconnect, ram, mopar and fiat Chrysler and The closest dealership. The shop wanted yo charge me $270 just to try and re flash it and no guaranty that it would fix it. Told me that I would need to buy a whole new unit, which was $991 they said. Or purchase an extended warranty for a little more that way it would cover the radio and everything else also. Where as I told them that I had already seen them about the problem with the "service vehicle phone with the [9-1-1] button turning red. Also the black screen for the first few mins of driving.... They could not duplicate the problem so that never got fixed back in January. The uconnect support told me that I should do this update so that it should fix the problems that I was having. So I downloaded it to a thumb drive and tried installing it, failed, also reformatted it and downloaded it again to the thumb drive, failed. I set up an appointment with the service center. My wife cranks up the truck and everything was working with the update installed she said, by looking under about uconnect menu. But she left the usb plugged in the console and it reverted back to installing the update and is now stuck again. Regardless of the key in or not. She was fast enough to turn the a/c back on before it started the **** again. Thank God!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dang, man, sorry to hear...makes me not want to update my '16 Reb, not that I need it. Please keep us posted and feel free to name dealer names. That might just steer other folks away from that unhelpful place!

TXCOMT

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Try a different USB thumb drive. I've seen others with similar issues and it was solved by trying a different drive. I've done several updates on my 8.4 both with the drive and over the air without a hitch.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Here's the fix I promised...

Turn the vehicle on, engine running.

When the radio says, re-insert the thumbdirve/flashdrive.

As soon as Unit #1 starts loading and gets to 1% pull the drive out. (Its okay if you get to 4-5 %)

Turn off the engine and vehicle

Open the driver door and wait for the radio to go black (Sleep)

Close the door and start up the vehicle as usual. Update should be done and all systems back to normal.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
konfuzed

konfuzed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 liter Hemi
Here's the fix I promised...

Turn the vehicle on, engine running.

When the radio says, re-insert the thumbdirve/flashdrive.

As soon as Unit #1 starts loading and gets to 1% pull the drive out. (Its okay if you get to 4-5 %)

Turn off the engine and vehicle

Open the driver door and wait for the radio to go black (Sleep)

Close the door and start up the vehicle as usual. Update should be done and all systems back to normal.

I've tried that, the problem is that my screen doesn't turn off. My key is out of the ignition but the update tries to install constantly.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I've tried that, the problem is that my screen doesn't turn off. My key is out of the ignition but the update tries to install constantly.

You can disconnect your truck battery to get it to turn off.

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My Rebel came from the factory with the "Vehicle Phone Requires Service" error.

I didn't realize it was as much of a pain as it was or I wouldn't have taken it off the dealer's lot.

Turns out it was the antenna. They replaced the entire head unit and that didn't fix the problem.

They replaced the antenna (thats on the roof) and found that there was a kinked antenna wire.

Haven't had the error since.

I'm not saying this is your issue...seems to be something odd with the update. I'm just saying my "Vehicle Phone Requires Service" error was definitely the antenna. They even showed me the old antenna which had a kink in it.

Good luck!

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
My Rebel came from the factory with the "Vehicle Phone Requires Service" error.

I didn't realize it was as much of a pain as it was or I wouldn't have taken it off the dealer's lot.

Turns out it was the antenna. They replaced the entire head unit and that didn't fix the problem.

They replaced the antenna (thats on the roof) and found that there was a kinked antenna wire.

Haven't had the error since.

I'm not saying this is your issue...seems to be something odd with the update. I'm just saying my "Vehicle Phone Requires Service" error was definitely the antenna. They even showed me the old antenna which had a kink in it.

Good luck!
This particular error may be update related. It may be that they changed the variable that trips the warning. I personally believe they pushed (or are pushing) something OTA that causes this...

OP
OP
konfuzed

konfuzed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 liter Hemi
This particular error may be update related. It may be that they changed the variable that trips the warning. I personally believe they pushed (or are pushing) something OTA that causes this...

I never got that error until i did the over the air update... It makes since.
Also the mopar service is covering the cost of the radio and labor.

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I would agree that konfuzed's error is update related...just sharing my experience on the same error.

Good luck with the fix konfuzed...hope it gets worked out...keep us updated!

OP
OP
konfuzed

konfuzed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 liter Hemi
I ended up throwing a big enough fit to all the closest dealership, uconnect, ram service, mopar service, and fiat Chrysler that they are replacing my radio as we speak for free. On the other note. I left the thumb drive in for a couple of days and one morning I went out there it booted up like normal. So I pulled the thumb drive out before it tried to start the update again. It still is giving me the error message and takes a bit to come on occasionally but like I said they are replacing it right now

Airforce One

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Konfuzed member how did you manage to get them to pay for you a new radio. I had mine do the same thing and it costs 800.00 to get the radio replaced and installed.Who did you contact at fiat chrysler

Last edited:

lukdiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
Have a 2014 Ram 2500 with UConnect 8.4an. The gps got 'lost' and was 1/2 a state away so while at Dealership having brake/shift recall done I asked them to look at it. They attempted a software update & it's stuck uploading. Lost all the other fuctions and they ended up pulling fuse to stop upload draining battery (seems I don't have any lights on AC switches or courtesy light so is that the same fuse?) ? Is it possible to upload a older version to get radio working again? Did the Dealership not follow procedure on update? They messed with it for hours and luckily it only cost me $75 for them to kill my radio. Just trying to save radio one last time before I cheap out with a base DIN2 radio which won't have any UConnect features. Thanks for any help. Bob

Airforce One

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have a 2014 Ram 2500 with UConnect 8.4an. The gps got 'lost' and was 1/2 a state away so while at Dealership having brake/shift recall done I asked them to look at it. They attempted a software update & it's stuck uploading. Lost all the other fuctions and they ended up pulling fuse to stop upload draining battery (seems I don't have any lights on AC switches or courtesy light so is that the same fuse?) ? Is it possible to upload a older version to get radio working again? Did the Dealership not follow procedure on update? They messed with it for hours and luckily it only cost me $75 for them to kill my radio. Just trying to save radio one last time before I cheap out with a base DIN2 radio which won't have any UConnect features. Thanks for any help. Bob

That software update probably screwed up your radio like it did mine . If the dealer attempted to do a hard reset and it didn't work I would contact Ram customer care and explain that you took the car to the dealership and once they did the software update it caused the radio to get stuck loading. The same thing happened to me and I had to get contact them for further action. I don't have navigation on my radio

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
They absolutely 100% are responsible for bricking your radio. That being said it's recoverable. Download the latest update from the Uconnect site and let it sit in your truck for a few days. It should come back up. Be sure to put the fuse back in first.

After you get it working again the next step is finding a new dealer. It's unacceptable that they charged you AND made it worse...

Last edited:

Victor Feldman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Diesel
My 2013 Ram 3500, out of warranty, has all off the above issues. Loops at 67% Tried everything I've found on the internet to fix it. Disconnected both batteries, when reconnected the radio goes right back to the loop. Tried pulling the UBS when starting the upload. Ignition on/off door open /close. Nothin helps. Gonna buy a new USB drive and try to download the software again.

I had planned to send my radio into NavRepair.com to have the Sierra card repaired. The GPS was off, the radio took a while to Boot. and the "See your dealer / 911 error message" haunts me. Hopefully they can still repair it.

OP
OP
konfuzed

konfuzed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 liter Hemi
There was a point while my wife was driving my truck. I had left the update USB plugged in, she said it started working. If she had removed the USB then, I would assume it would've been ok and I wouldn't have had to have my deck replaced. I'm not sure what causes it to boot loop, but she swears it worked while she drove it to work. So maybe just leave it in and if it starts working, snatch out the thumb drive.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
There was a point while my wife was driving my truck. I had left the update USB plugged in, she said it started working. If she had removed the USB then, I would assume it would've been ok and I wouldn't have had to have my deck replaced. I'm not sure what causes it to boot loop, but she swears it worked while she drove it to work. So maybe just leave it in and if it starts working, snatch out the thumb drive.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Yes, that's exactly what you need to do.

RHeller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had the issue with our 2015 durango. Turned out is was the 911 cell receiver that is built into the radio. Had to get the radio replaced. Ours just did it out of the blue, nowhere near a uconnect update. Warranty covered it and no problems since. Just did a continuous bootloop and would only turn off if battery was left disconnected.