Uconnect Update??? Please help!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
How fubared is it & how desperate to attempt a fix are you?

I'm not condoning this, but you are already down the rabbit hole so it may not matter at this point and it may not work anyway. This is how the guy over at XDA was able to load a hacked SW version back on the original 13.x release 2 years ago ...

2 USB sticks, 1 with the 17.x SW you tried, and 1 with the correct 16.x SW for your Ra3/Vp3-NA radio.

- With the truck off, doors shut (USB port light off), insert the 17.x drive and turn the key to on (don't start) and see if it reads the drive and gives you the option to update. If so, tell it yes.

- when the radio reboots, quickly swap out the drive for the 16.x version and let it attempt to update from the 16.x drive.

It may not be possible to roll back because these files are updates based on earlier installs and not full install software. I believe Factory Radio Parts (eBay) and NavRepair.com have access to full sw versions, but you probably have to pay to get the support.

Again, I don't know if this will work at all, if it will even read your USB port, and don't condone it. The risk is unfortunately yours. If you can't get even a basic display to see what's happening then your are likely stuck.

Beyond that your best bet is to get another radio or send it off for repair at one of the 2 I mentioned (NavRepair is extremely familiar with our radios).

M² Mods - From my non Flammable S7!

NJCummins67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I believe you are the second person to confirm that this particular firmware package does not allow a downgrade.

Does it allow you to refresh the 17.x.x firmware? If so, you can try switching the drives after restart and/or verification with the desired firmware (at your own risk)...

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Initially mine asked if you would like to install MASTER sw 17.11.07 and after it was complete it asks if you would like to reinstall APPS sw 17.11.07.

Attachments

• 20170722_201311-1328x747.jpg
    20170722_201311-1328x747.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 63

17RedSled

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Well an update.... took the radio out and reinstalled the RA2 of course it worked just fine with no issues there. So I have narrowed it down to an issue with the radio either software related or hardware related.

The fact that the 2017 Ram 2500 has a different microphone than the 2015 Cherokee which the radio came in may be an indication. Or the pin out on the back of the radio for the Uconnect microphone is in a different location.

Still open to suggestions though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17RedSled

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
And another update after a closer look into pinouts from both donor vehicle (2015 Cherokee) and my current vehicle (2017 Ram 2500)

All Connectors:
Mopar Connection Repair Kit

2017 RAM C1
Microphone Pin Information
Cav Circuit Gauge Color Function
1 X792 0.50 BU/DG MICROPHONE IN (-)
2 X712 0.50 DG/BU MICROPHONE 1 IN (+)

2015 Cherokee C1

The pin location on the connectors is the same, but the only difference is the gague of wire used for the microphone on the cherokee is 0.35 and for the ram is 0.50..... (I dont believe this to be the issue which causes it not to work???)

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
And another update after a closer look into pinouts from both donor vehicle (2015 Cherokee) and my current vehicle (2017 Ram 2500)

All Connectors:

The pin location on the connectors is the same, but the only difference is the gague of wire used for the microphone on the cherokee is 0.35 and for the ram is 0.50..... (I dont believe this to be the issue which causes it not to work???)

As you said, the pinouts are the same. It's unfortunately looking like the issue was with the 8.4 radio your got, unless I'm overlooking something.

NJCummins67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Could it possibly be a sales code that needs to be added, as his truck didn't have a RA3?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I would look to see if Canadian microphone mirrors have a different part number...could be a driver issue.

17RedSled

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I would look to see if Canadian microphone mirrors have a different part number...could be a driver issue.

The microphone in my truck is not in the mirror, it is in the headliner.

From what I've read 2017 has started doing this differently since the mirror microphones were giving users a tough time due to wind noise, HVAC noise etc.

I'll look into the Canadian truck and see if they are in the headliner and use the same p/n as well.

17RedSled

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
As you said, the pinouts are the same. It's unfortunately looking like the issue was with the 8.4 radio your got, unless I'm overlooking something.

I'm just as stumped as you bud. Like I said the mic works fine with the RA2 being re installed so that rules out a hardware issue with what's already installed.... I even went ahead and reinstalled the same update to the radio incase it may have been corrupted?IMG_7440.JPG

Only thing left since wiring is not the issue, and connector is making good contact is either a hardware issue with the radio itself or a software issue with the update which I've used?

Like I've already said it may be the part number is not compatible with the type of microphone system in my truck due to the fact that all other years use the microphones in the rear view mirror.

I'll attach a photo of the radio's serial numbers too, incase that may pop something out at you.

DeereGuy

Preferred Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I'm just as stumped as you bud. Like I said the mic works fine with the RA2 being re installed so that rules out a hardware issue with what's already installed.... I even went ahead and reinstalled the same update to the radio incase it may have been corrupted?View attachment 90387

Only thing left since wiring is not the issue, and connector is making good contact is either a hardware issue with the radio itself or a software issue with the update which I've used?

Like I've already said it may be the part number is not compatible with the type of microphone system in my truck due to the fact that all other years use the microphones in the rear view mirror.

I'll attach a photo of the radio's serial numbers too, incase that may pop something out at you.

Just as an FYI, we've sold 8.4 conversion harnesses to several people who had 17 trucks with the over the head mics and have never heard any complaints about the mics not working. I've actually bought a set of the 17 style mics and am thinking about putting them into my 16 truck effectively moving the mics from the mirror to the overhead. All of the wiring looks the same between the mirror and overhead mics, just the 17 trucks route the wiring a different way.

17RedSled

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Just as an FYI, we've sold 8.4 conversion harnesses to several people who had 17 trucks with the over the head mics and have never heard any complaints about the mics not working. I've actually bought a set of the 17 style mics and am thinking about putting them into my 16 truck effectively moving the mics from the mirror to the overhead. All of the wiring looks the same between the mirror and overhead mics, just the 17 trucks route the wiring a different way.

Yep I believe it. I didn't think the harnesses which I've got from you guys were the issue at all. Just sucks this damn radio had to be the issue.... maybe a sign I should get a hold of an RA4 instead?

17RedSled

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yep I believe it. I didn't think the harnesses which I've got from you guys were the issue at all. Just sucks this damn radio had to be the issue.... maybe a sign I should get a hold of an RA4 instead?

And an update to all who are following... I've realized the RA3 with the part number I currently have corresponds as such:

"ID RA3 w/o telematics"

Is the telematics end what would allow the microphones and voice commands to work?

Because if it isn't what is the difference between an RA3 with telematics and an RA3 without?

Common sense may have been my friend and solution to my problem all along

Let me know what you guys think...

DeereGuy

Preferred Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
And an update to all who are following... I've realized the RA3 with the part number I currently have corresponds as such:

"ID RA3 w/o telematics"

Is the telematics end what would allow the microphones and voice commands to work?

Because if it isn't what is the difference between an RA3 with telematics and an RA3 without?

Common sense may have been my friend and solution to my problem all along

Let me know what you guys think...

Maybe @infotainment.com or @navrepair can help clarify this for you.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Telematics is Uconnect Access, which I don't think is available in Canada....

That might be part of the problem if you installed Canadian software upgrade on a US radio???

NJCummins67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Telematics is Uconnect Access, which I don't think is available in Canada....

That might be part of the problem if you installed Canadian software upgrade on a US radio???

Nope. I put the Canada update on my radio and all works great.

dkmesa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
DO NOT install the Uconnect update when prompted!

My Ram now flashes SRT when cranked, reset all my presets, will not connect to my phone, USB drives do not work

AND Uconnect support told me the expect to have a fix in a couple of months. **** this rag tag bunch of stupid mother *******.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Damn

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

NJCummins67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD

My Ram now flashes SRT when cranked, reset all my presets, will not connect to my phone, USB drives do not work

AND Uconnect support told me the expect to have a fix in a couple of months. **** this rag tag bunch of stupid mother *******.

Try downloading it using a Canada vin of a truck with same options/radio. Reinstall and follow instructions exactly.

17RedSled

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
6.7 Cummins

Yeah be very careful with updates.

Update to all following: I've spoke to the junkyard and they will be refunding me for this unit.

Now I'll be looking for another. Is there any way to get the unlock code for the radio if I find one from a wrecked vehicle? I do not want to go to the dealer since I'm not trying to void my warranty by changing the radio.