Uconnect Update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmh547

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
[Short Version]
I bought a '14 Ram three weeks ago and noticed that it still has version 13.19.0. I have a usb drive formatted as FAT32, downloaded version 18.45.01 from the uconnect website and dropped the 5 files (checkswdl, kaliwsdl, md5deep, swdl.upd, swdl.upd.md5) on the USB drive. They are the only five files on the drive. I start the engine, wait for the uconnect to "boot," and insert the drive into the usb port in the arm rest... nothing happens. For laughs I put an MP3 on the same drive (now it has six files) and the MP3 plays.

Any ideas on what else to try to get this thing to update?

[Long Version]
I am beginning to regret buying a Ram... I went to a local multi branded dealership (GMC, Ram, Toyota, etc.) to look at a preowned GMC. I really didn't like the GMC but I saw this very nice '14 Ram sport in the color I wanted, one owner, with <32k miles. I own a 2015 Jeep GC, I am no stranger to FCA vehicles. I was equipped to buy the vehicle that day but I was told I couldn't because it had 7 open recalls and needed detailed. Two days later I take the truck home. The sales person gave me the wrong paperwork so I had to go back the same day I bought it. Then two weeks later the sale person shows up at the lobby of my work and calls my desk. The dealership is only ~100 yards from my work so I guess it isn't a big surprise. He said they forgot to do a software update as a part as a recall and I need to sign a paper saying I will get it done... I sign the paper and call the dealership the next day to schedule the recall, the supervisor says it is already been done. I say that is impossible because the software version is from 2013. He reads the service notes to me which basically says they couldn't do the update because nothing happened when they put the USB drive in. My response to him was "If FCA spent the time and money to issue a recall for a security vulnerability they must think it is pretty serious. Just not being able to fix it is not an acceptable option." He said he will call me back Monday once he talks to the GM... I am not holding my breath. In the meantime I started getting the error about the vehicle's phone needs serviced, which was fixed shortly after 13.19.0... so I thought I would give it a shot since it was so simple on my JGC...

OP
OP
J

jmh547

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
After a couple of hours messing around with this I was able to get 18.45.01 to install. First I tried 17.43.01 which wouldn't even run. Next I tried 17.11.07 which to my surprise worked. Once 17.11.07 installed I was able to get 18.45.01... I guess I was more determined than the service tech at the dealership.

Hope this helps someone who might be in the same boat I was

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

RobertusvT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry to hear the troubles with the dealership being incompetent and most importantly unhelpful. I myself hate dealing with any FCA dealership for any reason. Glad you got it fixed though!

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am having a similar problem attempting to update to 18.45.01. It does nothing and I confirmed only the 5 files were on the root of the thumb drive. To confirm it was reading the drive I also put an MP3 on the drive and it played fine without issue. When I go to System Information it is completely blank even though it should have information for firmware version, maps etc. Any help is greatly appreciated, I just purchased the truck last week. Pictures are what I receive, this is frustrating. Without any information under Sys Info I will never be able to update my maps for navigation either.DSCN0812.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I put my VIN in and was returned with needing 18.45.01 update. It looks like all the other RA4's, I don't know why you would say that.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I put my VIN in and was returned with needing 18.45.01 update. It looks like all the other RA4's, I don't know why you would say that.
The radio you are showing a picture of is not a Harmon 13 to 17 RA4. It looks like a Panasonic UAQ. The RA3/RA4 has completely different screen graphics and icons. If you bought the truck used it may have been changed by the original owner. It's a common upgrade to gain Apple Car Play and Android Auto. Uconnect has no idea that your radio has been changed so the website is showing the Firmware version for the radio that's supposed to be in your truck. I changed to the UAQ as well but put my RA4 back in because I didn't care for the UAQ. This is a picture of an RA4 and then a UAQ. You can see they are totally different. Your firmware won't update because it doesn't belong in that radio.a2ec78f12bedb447d5ceb0e8d9d99de3.jpg717f55a1bd29ccb15818b66abff5287f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The radio you are showing a picture of is not a Harmon 13 to 17 RA4. It looks like a Panasonic UAQ. The RA3/RA4 has completely different screen graphics and icons. If you bought the truck used it may have been changed by the original owner. It's a common upgrade to gain Apple Car Play and Android Auto. Uconnect has no idea that your radio has been changed so the website is showing the Firmware version for the radio that's supposed to be in your truck. I changed to the UAQ as well but put my RA4 back in because I didn't care for the UAQ. This is a picture of an RA4 and then a UAQ. You can see they are totally different. Your firmware won't update because it doesn't belong in that radio.a2ec78f12bedb447d5ceb0e8d9d99de3.jpg717f55a1bd29ccb15818b66abff5287f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Exactly

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Some USB drives have hidden files on them, which from my understanding can prevent the unit from reading the files properly. NOTHING but those 5 files can be on the drive.