Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uncle Tony SPEAKS on cam and lifter failure in 5.7 hemi

Discussion in 'Garage' started by Jtblackram, May 30, 2020.

1. ramffml

ramffml Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    hemi 5.7
    Agreed. It really comes down to this: speculation vs fact. What do we speculate is true, and what do we observe is true.

I couldn't care less about the speculation to be honest; but if you quiet your engine by changing the oil/filter, that is a fact that should weigh more in your deliberations than what we think Ram is doing and why they chose one oil vs another or if they are aiming for 5 years of life vs 15 or whether there is some cam/oiling flaw.

Fact is fact, and quieter is a GOOD THING, and nobody has shown any evidence to claim that Redline is a bad oil (blackstone analysis comes back and shows less wear than before). At that point, what is your problem? Why go off about zulus and pookies? I'm really confused by that response.

Hemi395 and corneileous like this.
  2. 2019_RPX_LTD

2019_RPX_LTD Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi eTorque
    Did anyone else noticed the comment made about using Shaeffer oil?

"We have eliminated our problems with these engines by switching to Schaeffer Oil. 5W20 for the 5.7 and 0W40 for the 6.4. It is night and day. Noticeable as soon as you fire the engine up. I think another problem with the 6.4 is many people out there are running Mobil 1 0W40. This is usually a European spec, not a Chrysler spec. Chrysler spec allows ZDDP (zinc). Schaeffer has Zinc and Micron Moly to control the wear and it is Chrysler approved. It’s also several dollars a quart cheaper than the factory Penzoil made from natural gas."

Thoughts? (~$10/qt)

https://www.schaefferoil.com/9004-full-synthetic.html

https://www.schaefferoil.com/documents/254-9004-td.pdf

Also, Shaeffer has a Moly treatment as well (~$10/pt):

https://www.schaefferoil.com/documents/37-132-td.pdf

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
  3. 2019_RPX_LTD

2019_RPX_LTD Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi eTorque

ripping r likes this.
  4. Sherman Bird

Sherman Bird Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    That's kind of odd..... the average age of vehicles is over 11 years.... so I must disagree with this statement.

5. corneileous

corneileous Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Man, I know of a few and have known quite a few people in the past who buy a new car every three to five years. Just because the average age of vehicles on the road is around eleven years don’t mean dick and it certainly doesn’t deviate from my point. “Average” doesn’t really count here because of too many specialty vehicles included in that average. Grandpa’s old Cadillac that your Dad refuses to get rid of doesn’t count. That maxed out Challenger of any age that you only drive out of the garage on weekends when it’s sunny, doesn’t count either but unfortunately, there’s no split database on daily drivers that don’t get bought and driven like the specialty cars but they sure are counted together probably.

Lastly, how long a person keeps a new car and how long a car is being driven before it’s junked, is two different things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. KC5TGQ

KC5TGQ Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Etorque
    I just talked to a GMC mechanic and he told me the GM 5.3 is known for lifter/cam failure. He has a Tahoe in shop he is working on now. I guess it is not just FCA that is having lifter issues. My guess is cheap Chinese made Lifters.

Joe w. and corneileous like this.
  7. Sherman Bird

Sherman Bird Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    I'm dealing with lifter failure on a 1999 Tahoe 5.7L "Vortec" engine. I was chatting with one of my GM Engineer cronies the other day about it... and he said what your GMC mechanic did!

KC5TGQ likes this.
  8. corneileous

corneileous Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Maybe it is. Could be just a combination of that and not using good oil and filter. I’m pretty much to the conclusion that the guys over in the synthetic oil thread know what they’re talking about when they say that 5w30’is a much better oil weight choice for these engines. I could, but I’m not because since I’m under warranty for as long as I own my truck, I don’t want to go through the hassle and jump through all the hoops to “say I’ve been using” the 20w when I’ve been using 30 so 20w’s what I use. But, I’m gonna use the best 20w I know to use that has a good additive package in it that’ll get changed more often just so that hopefully my chances of becoming a statistic is as low as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk