update of 5.7 engine rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I dont see how the Cam bearing can affect the connecting rods bearing and crankshaft journals?
If the cam bearings started self-destructing the metal debris could starve the bottom end of oil and cause this. But that would still be their fault imo, they did the install they should have checked all of that.

And that is assuming there is an issue with the cam/install which we don't know yet.

OcallyRamFam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
coming back to this thread VERY late! @CrasherAsher very sorry to hear of your luck, but REALLY appreciate the good looking out for the rest of us given that at the beginning of your experience you were recommending these guys.

definitely interested to see you get through this, hopefully with these guys honoring their rebuild.

Better luck!

S

OcallyRamFam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@CrasherAsher so where are you with them at this point? Seems like last conversation with them was 2 days ago with bottom end being toasted. Have they provided a solution yet? Apologies if I might have missed that.

S

Last edited:

Crooks1130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If the cam bearings started self-destructing the metal debris could starve the bottom end of oil and cause this. But that would still be their fault imo, they did the install they should have checked all of that.

And that is assuming there is an issue with the cam/install which we don't know yet.
If this were the case, the cam would be ruined also. @CrasherAsher I’m assuming the top end is all good?

Also I’m curious how much you really got on it once you got behind the wheel. No judgment, I’ve seen people beat the brakes off a new engine and say “this is the way”. But I’m just curious how high the RPMs really got in this engine before the bottom end decided to stop working. I would still lean toward something was assembled without assembly Lube or wasnt torqued down.

OP
OP
CrasherAsher

CrasherAsher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If this were the case, the cam would be ruined also. @CrasherAsher I’m assuming the top end is all good?

Also I’m curious how much you really got on it once you got behind the wheel. No judgment, I’ve seen people beat the brakes off a new engine and say “this is the way”. But I’m just curious how high the RPMs really got in this engine before the bottom end decided to stop working. I would still lean toward something was assembled without assembly Lube or wasnt torqued down.
If I hit 4500 rpms I would be shocked. I tried to be nice to my Truck the best I could on the way home.

OP
OP
CrasherAsher

CrasherAsher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
@OcallyRamFam
Right now that is where I left it. I don't want to play hard ball just yet. I want to them to get the job done right. And if they think I am playing along it will better my chances. So my plan right now is to "play dumb".

MudSkipper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you post a list of "new" items that were replaced?... this looks like a sh*tty rebuild...

Lol blame the cam manufacturer!!! yeah it wasnt us man!... the cam caused the rods to trash themselves... watch the engine shop scramble for excuses is always entertaining.

This has nothing to do with a cam... looks like someone didnt check the bearing clearances on the rods... If the oil pump failed it would immediately throw a code... if overheated would throw a check engine and you could see the gauge)... but all the bearings shatted up... that on them... they owe you a new engine...

Can't believe people dont measure and plastigauge... Rod bearings I can understand as they are stretch i use the old ones to get an idea at least.

Last edited:

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I'll say it again, keep a record of ALL communication with them, who spoke to, when, what was asked, what answer was, etc. Also as much as you can remember from before the rebuild was finished.

Just in case, especially if you need to take the long way around the block......

Pulling for the best outcome for you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CrasherAsher

CrasherAsher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I know it took me awhile but here is the invoice for my trucks rebuild.
Screenshot_20220824-071152_Drive.jpg

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know it took me awhile but here is the invoice for my trucks rebuild.
View attachment 500812
@Wild one Can you help my buddy out here? I don't know enough to really have a solid opinion on these parts. Yes please laugh at me if you want, but I know you know what you are looking at. I have only messed with bolt on stuff so I admit I don't know what I am looking at here.
@DILLIGAF same to you too, you guys have dove into the insides of these engines before, I have not.
Thanks gents!

@CrasherAsher Where are you at right now with these guys?

ColesRAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
I know this comment is irrelevant, but why the hell are they charging you $4300 for a reman'd engine and then go on to itemize a ton of parts of the engine as well?
WTH was the $4300 for?
I have seen this done before, on work I have had done, especially by small businesses. They list the total then itemize below everything that makes up that total. I think it’s a goof way to see what you bought.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
@Wild one Can you help my buddy out here? I don't know enough to really have a solid opinion on these parts. Yes please laugh at me if you want, but I know you know what you are looking at. I have only messed with bolt on stuff so I admit I don't know what I am looking at here.
@DILLIGAF same to you too, you guys have dove into the insides of these engines before, I have not.
Thanks gents!

@CrasherAsher Where are you at right now with these guys?
He's going to have to do a better job of posting his invoice,as i can't read it.

OP
OP
CrasherAsher

CrasherAsher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
@Wild one as of now i am seeking legal council i have an appointment with lawyer on monday. I spoke to the shop on 8/24/22 over the phone and he is basically trying to blame the cam kit for the crankshaft and connecting rods being destroyed. I recorded the phone call and if I knew a way to post the recording on here i would. The shop is wanting me to pay another 4-6k for the repairs.

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@Wild one as of now i am seeking legal council i have an appointment with lawyer on monday. I spoke to the shop on 8/24/22 over the phone and he is basically trying to blame the cam kit for the crankshaft and connecting rods being destroyed. I recorded the phone call and if I knew a way to post the recording on here i would. The shop is wanting me to pay another 4-6k for the repairs.
Of course they are. No one want's to stand behind a total failure. They should suck it up and turn in into their insurance, if they have any, which may be their problem.

The cam didn't cause this. Their installation of the cam bearings may have, and that's a very long shot may, but the cam didn't.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I wonder if they effed up the bottom end on the rebuild. They rebuilt the bottom end, too, and that's what failed. People do make mistakes.

Plus, you broke down on the way home from the rebuild. First drive. Not even 30 miles away, for Heaven's sake.

Plus you got an engine kit, and timing chain guides and tensioners were not included? Really? Everything else was new except that?

Plus, no mention of prep work either. Hot tank, teardown, etc. If it were my shop, there would be detailed listings of stuff done, in order of progress.

Also wondering if they stuck in a rebuilt engine on you (not by them).

That recording might not be legal where you are, consent, 1 party, 2 party, etc. But you can write down what was said. If you keep as a journal, it will help remembering the progression of events, and might help in court, too (if it comes to that). Heresay and such.

I am praying that this all works out well for you. Hang in there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CrasherAsher

CrasherAsher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
@EdGs at this point i really don't care if it is legal or not to record that will be for the lawyer to decide. All i care about at this time is nailing this guy to the wall. I know he is full of (S)HIT, unfortunately I don't have the skill or the knowledge to counter argue this guy. Thanks to you guys on here you helped put my doubts to rest about somehow this something I did. I knew he lying from the start but you get this little voices in the back of your mind that makes you sow doubt and your confidence drops. but thanks again for all you help and advice. I have been stressing about this for 6 week now and i am done, I am done being patient, I am done playing nice, and I am done with this guy lying to me. I am taking this guy down i don't care if it cost more then when i started, I have got evidence and I am even getting a letter from the chief mechanic at Dodge saying that the damage Arizona Engine Rebuilding is describing could not have been caused by the cam.

Of course I will continue to keep you guys updated the best i can, this thread is my timeline lol. It has all the dates I talked to them and what was said.