Urgent Help needed...Drivetrain noise, dangerous to drive...stranded 3 hours from home.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dgriffi2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
About a month ago I was driving home from work in my Chrysler 200 and a terrible scraping sound started in the front end, like a brake caliper was locked up, or something like the wheel well trim had come loose and was scraping against the tire, or bearings failed. A message came on like "check electronic throttle control" and the car wouldn't go faster than 20. Luckily there's a dealer right in town on my route so I pulled in, at this point the noise was so bad I thought for sure I would get out and a front tire would be flat or missing or something! I left it with them (it was 5pm at this point), the next morning they called and said they couldn't find anything, no check engine light, no noise. They put it up on the lift, pulled the front tires and everything. They said they'd drive it again later, because I said how can something like that just go away? The roads were mostly bare, I didn't recall driving through any snow or anything (the 17" tires on this car are so bad in the snow I only drive it on clear roads). So as I headed to work I stopped in and they said still nothing, no noise, no service lights on. They said come on, go for a ride with a tech, sometimes they don't hear things you do. We went out together and... nothing. The day before I would have thought a wheel was falling off. No issues since. All we can figure is some ice got in the wheel somewhere, made a hell of a racket, tripped a wheel speed sensor, then broke loose and disappeared. But I sure as hell didn't do a 360 going 70 mph!
P.S. They also didn't charge me anything, so I stopped by later with a dunkin gift card!

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If it weren't for the grinding noise I would say inner C.V joint on the side that the truck spun to, do you remember if the front end went left or right when you spun out?

I have had a few vehicles with intermittently would pull violently to the left or right, induced by hitting a bump or hitting the brakes hard. Very intermittent and the rest of the time drive normal.

The inner cv joint has spring inside it, it has to be able to go in and out freely and smoothly, Basically allowing the halfshaft to get longer and shorter with suspension travel and when turning.

One of the worse cases I had was on my wifes (Girlfriend at the time) 1980 something chevy citation. She kept telling first her Dad, then me that it pulls left sometimes. I took it for a drive, raised it up and inspected everything and couldn't find anything wrong, but she insisted she was afraid to drive it, something was wrong.
So we switched cars for a few days, finally it did it after hitting a bump at about 45mph. Holy **** scared the crap out of me, it literally yanked the steering wheel out of my hands it pulled so hard.

That's why I never say there is nothing wrong, when I can't duplicate something. My wife still brings it up "remember when you didn't believe me when my citation was acting up" That was almost 25 years ago :)

After thinking on it some more, sometimes the stub shaft sticks to the inner c.v joint when you remove the left halfshaft.
The grinding could have been the splines on the stub shaft grinding on the differential gears if it popped out. It may have popped it self back in.
I would take it apart and inspect, maybe the circlip is damaged on the stub shaft, or replace the left halfshaft and stub shaft. especially if that the side that was repaired after your accident

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
If it weren't for the grinding noise I would say inner C.V joint on the side that the truck spun to, do you remember if the front end went left or right when you spun out?

I have had a few vehicles with intermittently would pull violently to the left or right, induced by hitting a bump or hitting the brakes hard. Very intermittent and the rest of the time drive normal.

The inner cv joint has spring inside it, it has to be able to go in and out freely and smoothly, Basically allowing the halfshaft to get longer and shorter with suspension travel and when turning.

One of the worse cases I had was on my wifes (Girlfriend at the time) 1980 something chevy citation. She kept telling first her Dad, then me that it pulls left sometimes. I took it for a drive, raised it up and inspected everything and couldn't find anything wrong, but she insisted she was afraid to drive it, something was wrong.
So we switched cars for a few days, finally it did it after hitting a bump at about 45mph. Holy **** scared the crap out of me, it literally yanked the steering wheel out of my hands it pulled so hard.

That's why I never say there is nothing wrong, when I can't duplicate something. My wife still brings it up "remember when you didn't believe me when my citation was acting up" That was almost 25 years ago :)

Haha I have had similar things happen with my wife’s car. It sucks eating crow when she finally proves there was something wrong after I told her it was fine haha

OP
OP
Johnnymac2k6

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would have thought it was a loose pinion nut like the recall based on what you said.
I don't think mine is effected. I ran the vin when I heard about it. And it was just in for the airbag recall.

OP
OP
Johnnymac2k6

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
After thinking on it some more, sometimes the stub shaft sticks to the inner c.v joint when you remove the left halfshaft.
The grinding could have been the splines on the stub shaft grinding on the differential gears if it popped out. It may have popped it self back in.
I would take it apart and inspect, maybe the circlip is damaged on the stub shaft, or replace the left halfshaft and stub shaft. especially if that the side that was repaired after your accident
Same side that was whacked. Yup. They had the axles out. Diffs covers off. Claimed all were in good shape. My mind also immediately went to that replaced axle and stub shaft. It' totally possible it popped out then back in. Now what can I do to make sure it stays in...

OP
OP
Johnnymac2k6

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
About a month ago I was driving home from work in my Chrysler 200 and a terrible scraping sound started in the front end, like a brake caliper was locked up, or something like the wheel well trim had come loose and was scraping against the tire, or bearings failed. A message came on like "check electronic throttle control" and the car wouldn't go faster than 20. Luckily there's a dealer right in town on my route so I pulled in, at this point the noise was so bad I thought for sure I would get out and a front tire would be flat or missing or something! I left it with them (it was 5pm at this point), the next morning they called and said they couldn't find anything, no check engine light, no noise. They put it up on the lift, pulled the front tires and everything. They said they'd drive it again later, because I said how can something like that just go away? The roads were mostly bare, I didn't recall driving through any snow or anything (the 17" tires on this car are so bad in the snow I only drive it on clear roads). So as I headed to work I stopped in and they said still nothing, no noise, no service lights on. They said come on, go for a ride with a tech, sometimes they don't hear things you do. We went out together and... nothing. The day before I would have thought a wheel was falling off. No issues since. All we can figure is some ice got in the wheel somewhere, made a hell of a racket, tripped a wheel speed sensor, then broke loose and disappeared. But I sure as hell didn't do a 360 going 70 mph!
P.S. They also didn't charge me anything, so I stopped by later with a dunkin gift card!
Sounds damn near identical...but mine almost killed me and cost. Me $530 LOL

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Same side that was whacked. Yup. They had the axles out. Diffs covers off. Claimed all were in good shape. My mind also immediately went to that replaced axle and stub shaft. It' totally possible it popped out then back in. Now what can I do to make sure it stays in...
Put in new oe parts and get rid of the 2" suspension lift or level kit whatever you want to call it

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
He asked what to do to eliminate it from happening again, I gave him a place to start, in my opinion, whenever you start adding any kind of modification, you do so at your own risk.
When you add a leveling kit you are increasing the distance that halfshaft has to travel.
Not saying for sure it has any thing to do with the problem.
It's not like these FCA engineers actually know what they are doing or do any kind of testing.

Last edited:

Jerseystyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3abfafa7035a6e345db8229ab56430b6.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
3abfafa7035a6e345db8229ab56430b6.jpg

I am about done. There was a reason I avoided joining any car forums. It was interesting and informative to see it from a customer perspective.
But to many keyboard mechanics.
If members don't want advice or perspective from somebody who has the training, been doing this **** for a long time and struggles to keep up and makes an effort to understand how all the systems work., wellll I am done. Go back to bashing steelerships, just don't expect free advice from me anymore.

Jerseystyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am about done. There was a reason I avoided joining any car forums. It was interesting and informative to see it from a customer perspective.
But to many keyboard mechanics.
If members don't want advice or perspective from somebody who has the training, been doing this **** for a long time and struggles to keep up and makes an effort to understand how all the systems work., wellll I am done. Go back to bashing steelerships, just don't expect free advice from me anymore.
[emoji52]
38985a1343f8e82faecbc9b7b09c4694.jpg

OP
OP
Johnnymac2k6

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Woah woah... I (The OP) didn't bash anything or refute any suggestions. Just clearing that up. Hell, the dealer coulda taken me for 2000 and replaced both pinion gears and all 4 axles and I wouldn't have questioned it after that episode.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I wasn’t refuting any info, and it sounded like pretty good solid info in several of your posts. All I was saying is I doubt he needs to go back to stock height. Thousands of people are using a level on their trucks and I’m pretty sure without any problems. Everything else he said sounded good. Sorry to get you all fired up. Stick around, we need good solid mechanics around here

Jerseystyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wasn’t refuting any info, and it sounded like pretty good solid info in several of your posts. All I was saying is I doubt he needs to go back to stock height. Thousands of people are using a level on their trucks and I’m pretty sure without any problems. Everything else he said sounded good. Sorry to get you all fired up. Stick around, we need good solid mechanics around here
I wouldn't waste your breath bro. If someone gets their panties in a twist over something that little, a public forum isn't for them.

OP
OP
Johnnymac2k6

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You weren't disrespectful at all buddy. Don' sweat it. I was just speaking for myself. If it was oem stock, would it have done it? Idk...but regardless...the oem body,wheels,tires, etc are way too far gone for it to ever go back stock....right answer or not. Lol. If it does it again, then maybe I will have to look into those extended travel half shafts that I think are longer length. Kore or someone makes them.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins diesel
Alright guys...here's my current dilemma. Its long, i'm sorry...

I had a business trip 3 ours from home. Ended up taking my truck. Suspension is stock minus a 2 inch level in the front. Always ran/drove smooth.

ya'll all may remember i was in a minor non-fault accident about 5 months ago where truck was repaired.

so 1/3 of the way through my business trip, and a dog runs out on the freeway. i stand on the brakes...,ABS pulses... miss dog...continue on my way.

make it 5 miles and something starts GRINDING in the front end...i liken it to a BAD wheel bearing...or a CV joint is GONE... So i pull over. check my axles, wheels...nothing sticking out at me, put it in 4wd, tromp on it in the parking lot, noise goes away...

think MAYBE i just had a rock, or ice in a caliper or something.

i drive another 1.5 hours. going 70...all of a sudden...the ass end whips around, i do a 360, somehow keep it off the wall, and out of other traffic. seemed like a front wheel locked solid...or maybe even the rear...IDK what caused it to happen, i was luckily to be alive. So i skid to the side of the road, expecting i'm missing a wheel...it makes the same GRINDING noise all the way to the shoulder.

I get out...wheels straight...no obvious damage... so i put down the shoulder, Still GRINDING... make it to a rest top.

I back up, pull forward, grinding stops. So i call a tow truck, get it to a dealer.

They can't find ANYTHING WRONG...ZERO...

Here are my thoughts..
1. the used axle or stub that the truck got from the insurance repair 5 months ago gave out, and locked up a wheel.
2. the front or rear ring gear lost a ring tooth, or C Clip...and ended up jamming the gear, and then dropped in the bottom of the pumpkin

The dealership claims NEITHER...they flushed the pumpkins, checked the axles... they want to test drive it again tomorrow morning, and send me on my way. i'm 3 hours from home... i fell its a death sentence.

this thing didn't magically grind after i stood on the brakes...then lock up and spin me, and then make the same noise...and then magically fix itself...

I am up a creek...3 hours from home, with a chrysler dealership telling me i'm ok to go...

thoughts, help, suggestions, every heard of anything like this???

[email protected]

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins diesel
Same thing thing happened to me from NY to Fla. 2500 deisel. Grinding in front axles. I was able to get in 4Wd and got it to dealer. 4WD electric motor bad.

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
How many of you can turn a wrench or really work on their own truck and fix things without being screwed by a dealership speakup?Also how many of you mama or dad ain't paying for it speakup?How many of you own your truck speakup.The reason i am saying and kinda sticking up for Yoda is this I have been in forums and there is always people who say and think they know something and don't know what makes things work on the other side I have seen some very sharp people in this forum but i have seen people who have looked up what other people have had heard or said and think they know the problem that they may have had the same problem that is good but i have seen people that use the keyboard and act like a mechanic and don't know a darn thing If that ****** you off so be it.

Jerseystyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How many of you can turn a wrench or really work on their own truck and fix things without being screwed by a dealership speakup?Also how many of you mama or dad ain't paying for it speakup?How many of you own your truck speakup.The reason i am saying and kinda sticking up for Yoda is this I have been in forums and there is always people who say and think they know something and don't know what makes things work on the other side I have seen some very sharp people in this forum but i have seen people who have looked up what other people have had heard or said and think they know the problem that they may have had the same problem that is good but i have seen people that use the keyboard and act like a mechanic and don't know a darn thing If that ****** you off so be it.
Doesn't **** me off as much as run-on sentences...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk