URGENT! Unresponsive truck after getting gas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ginandtonic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys, urgent request here! Sitting at a gas station 300km from home with my baby in my 5.7 2014 ram 1500 and after filling up with gas it’s not starting. All lights come on, radio, etc etc, battery says it’s good, tried jumping, but it doesn’t even attempt to turn over.. no sounds or anything from the truck when I turn the key. Any ideas?!

Curmudgeon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Two things, as I just had this happen to me, but I was home and had access to a voltmeter and a battery charger.

I pushed the ignition switch, heard a couple loud clicks from under the hood, then nothing. Everything seemed to have good power, dash, headlights, etc. Clicking but no start.

We were in a hurry so I put it on the charger while we were out for about 2 hours. When we got back I measured the battery at 12.8v.
Not real good for being on a 10amp charger for 2 hours.

At this point I could start the truck, now I have 14.8v at the battery, telling the alternator was doing it's job.
My battery is 5-6 years old.

Drove to local battery shop, load tested - failed. Bought an ACDelco Gold 42-month battery, been fine ever since (about 3 days now).

The 2 things I'm thinking are bad battery or bad starter. If I were closer I'd bring some toys to help you out.

As for jumping, my battery charger has a "jump start" mode, but obviously not powerful enough to turn over the Hemi. I still needed to use the "jump" mode AFTER charging for 2 hours. Your best bet might be to find someone willing to charge your battery with cables for a little bit before trying again. Might be enough to get you home.

Good luck.

EDITED TO ADD: it could also be a failed WIN module, located behind the ignition switch. That was the other thing. I've heard about them failing. I'm afraid I don't know how to get you home.

Last edited:

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
These batteries are pretty finicky if there aren't good connections so first thing I'd check is the the terminals are clean and tight. I'd try the old, "whack the starter with a hammer and rod," just to try and rule that out.

OP
OP
ginandtonic

ginandtonic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks guys. I’ve tried getting boosted but no luck :/ I’ll wack the starter and see if it helps

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Lol, whack the starter... haven't heard that in awhile.

I would try disconnecting the battery at the positive side and reconnect after a few minutes to see if that "reboots" your issue ... can't hurt anything.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I hadn't either in probably 20 years but was chatting with my mechanic after having my alternator replaced (not my Ram) and was just talking about things that could go out and mentioned the starter and he brought it up. I had to laugh too. Reminded me of my younger (and poorer) days rolling around with a dead starter for months..... a hammer, a breaker bar and a good slope to "pop" the clutch on my old Toyota Corolla and I was good to go for months. Besides, I had better things to spend my money on.... like, beer, weed and condoms. Ah, the good old days! :)

OP
OP
ginandtonic

ginandtonic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1. Try starting it in neutral.
2. When you step on the brake pedal are your brake lights illuminating?
Ya I pulled the panel for the neutral override, got it into neutral but it said vehicle must be in park to start. I did have full lights all around ya.

OP
OP
ginandtonic

ginandtonic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
UPDATE: the tow truck driver was adamant that it was the starter so it’s now sitting at my mechanics in hopes they can put in a new one tomorrow. Coulda happened 999 of the times I’m alone driving around town, but had to happen the 1 time were three hours out of town with the baby in tow and one bottle of formula remaining I’ll update again once it’s fixed. Huge thanks to all who chimed in trying to help!

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
These batteries are pretty finicky if there aren't good connections so first thing I'd check is the the terminals are clean and tight. I'd try the old, "whack the starter with a hammer and rod," just to try and rule that out.

I would try disconnecting the battery at the positive side and reconnect after a few minutes to see if that "reboots" your issue ... can't hurt anything.
Saved my butt out on the river one day (this was at work, I was a small craft operator for the state). I had been having issues with the outboard for about a week and thought maybe the starter was going out. Then one day it just clicked and I got nothing. I popped the cowling and gave it a good whack with a wrench, after which it worked just fine. The two biologists in the boat with me thought I was a mechanical genius. :33:

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Saved my butt out on the river one day (this was at work, I was a small craft operator for the state). I had been having issues with the outboard for about a week and thought maybe the starter was going out. Then one day it just clicked and I got nothing. I popped the cowling and gave it a good whack with a wrench, after which it worked just fine. The two biologists in the boat with me thought I was a mechanical genius. :33:

Long years ago when I was in highschool, my parents gave me their 1972 NOVA SS.

The starter solenoid crapped out and I learned how to start it with a coat hanger laying on the ground in whatever weather.

I eventually replaced the starter ... working at the local hamburger joint didn't pay enough to replace it right away, and if it didn't start, I walked.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had an '87 Toyota extended cab pickup (the Toy) with a flakey starter. I kept a hammer in the truck with me for those no-start episodes and a big piece of cardboard to lay on.

Sometimes there would be just a click and then nothing. Other times just no sound and no joy.

I'd park on a hill whenever possible for compression starting but my driveway and street was very flat.

It was lifted with 33x9.5" BFG Mud Terrain tires so sliding underneath was pretty easy to access and wack the starter.

IIRC, I finally changed the brushes on the starter motor and problem solved.

Hagar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, urgent request here! Sitting at a gas station 300km from home with my baby in my 5.7 2014 ram 1500 and after filling up with gas it’s not starting. All lights come on, radio, etc etc, battery says it’s good, tried jumping, but it doesn’t even attempt to turn over.. no sounds or anything from the truck when I turn the key. Any ideas?!
I once had the wire from the solenoid to the starter corrode away. The idiot engineer that thought a multi-strand wire was suitable in that application should be re-assigned to the toilet seat design department!

OP
OP
ginandtonic

ginandtonic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep, the mechanic confirmed it's just the starter! I'm relieved it's a cheap and easy fix. So, while my wife and I are down to her car, she just blew a tire on the highway!..fortunately in town and she had a spare, but man when it rains it pours!

plainsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Was on my way to CO last year and had driven 400 miles in 98 degree weather. Stopped at Limon, CO and a restaurant before going to the hotel. Was in my '15 Laramie 5.7 towing an ATV on a trailer. Got to go to restaurant and I shut off truck without thinking, forgot I had my dog and immediately hit the starter to leave AC on. No response whatsoever, no click no nothing. Holy sheet, now what. I fiddled around and finally called AAA and had to explain where Limon was. Of course it was a Sunday. Finally tow truck showed up, he lifted hood, immediately jiggled my positive cable and things started right up. Couldn't believe it, I knew to check these things but the cable was on and not displaced. Screwed it down and all was good. Still kick myself.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Was on my way to CO last year and had driven 400 miles in 98 degree weather. Stopped at Limon, CO and a restaurant before going to the hotel. Was in my '15 Laramie 5.7 towing an ATV on a trailer. Got to go to restaurant and I shut off truck without thinking, forgot I had my dog and immediately hit the starter to leave AC on. No response whatsoever, no click no nothing. Holy sheet, now what. I fiddled around and finally called AAA and had to explain where Limon was. Of course it was a Sunday. Finally tow truck showed up, he lifted hood, immediately jiggled my positive cable and things started right up. Couldn't believe it, I knew to check these things but the cable was on and not displaced. Screwed it down and all was good. Still kick myself.

An expensive lesson with a bit of added stress for keeping your puppy out of the heat.

Battery maintenance is so important with our rolling microcomputers. It should be considered as important as oil & coolant because a small amount of corrosion or a loose clamp and you could be pulling your hair out and/or be stranded somewhere. :cool:

rvance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pent 3.6
I'll bet it's dirty battery cables. Same thing kept happening to my wife's car. I finally got down and cleaned them real good and used the sprays that enhance contact and prevent corrosion. Been trouble free for months now. Same battery.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'll bet it's dirty battery cables. Same thing kept happening to my wife's car. I finally got down and cleaned them real good and used the sprays that enhance contact and prevent corrosion. Been trouble free for months now. Same battery.
I use Corrosion X on my terminals. That stuff is like magic for inhibiting the lead sulfate that builds up. Clean the terminals really good, then spray some on a paper towel and smear it around the post. Don't try to spray it directly onto the post as it can be kind of messy. For my marine batteries, I clean them then pour a mixture of water and baking soda on the top to neutralize the acid, dry it off, then put the Corrosion X on. Get the stuff in the green can.

1716833044802.jpeg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Demon Hunter 441