Used Car Prices!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Diesel_Addict

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The skyrocketing of used vehicle prices is crazy! I purchased my 2017 Ford F-350 for about $72,000 OTD back in August of 2017. Last week I placed my order with Renae at Mark Dodge for a 3500 Limited Mega Cab and decided to see what I could get for my truck selling it my self. I posted on Facebook marketplace and within an hour, I got a response from a Ford dealership nearby saying they were interested. I sent all of the information and they came back with $66,000 for the truck. This is $5,000 over any trade-in offers I had. This is also without having to buy off their lot. I jumped at the offer and today I see that the truck is already for sale on their website for $76,000!!! This market is crazy and will be happy when I get my new truck.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
New is just as bad. They will not budge on anything. You just keep adding money to the down payment to get it close to where you want to be. I just did it Monday.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The skyrocketing of used vehicle prices is crazy! I purchased my 2017 Ford F-350 for about $72,000 OTD back in August of 2017. Last week I placed my order with Renae at Mark Dodge for a 3500 Limited Mega Cab and decided to see what I could get for my truck selling it my self. I posted on Facebook marketplace and within an hour, I got a response from a Ford dealership nearby saying they were interested. I sent all of the information and they came back with $66,000 for the truck. This is $5,000 over any trade-in offers I had. This is also without having to buy off their lot. I jumped at the offer and today I see that the truck is already for sale on their website for $76,000!!! This market is crazy and will be happy when I get my new truck.

By any chance did you check autonation/carmax/carvana/vroom to see what they would have given you? They seem to be paying out the most over the past year.

New is just as bad. They will not budge on anything. You just keep adding money to the down payment to get it close to where you want to be. I just did it Monday.

Unless you go to Mark Dodge, they are still offering a nice dealer discount. Without haggling or further discounts/rebates etc they gave me 13.5% off msrp back in March on my order and I know they are still discounting in the 12% (usually around 5% under invoice I believe) or so range from seeing other members quotes on the other ram forum. I know they don't discount as much for trucks on the lot for the obvious reasons currently (need to keep stock), but you can make out pretty good by selling privately and then still getting a good discount from MD on a order.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
It's been crazy for well over a year now. This current fiasco may end my life long addition of buying a different vehicle every 2-3yrs. There's no flippin' way i'll jump into the current vehicle market just because I can make some money on my trade. You're only making out if you don't need to replace the vehicle you're selling.

Go to any repair shop these days. Not only are they short staffed, people are dumping huge sums of cash on repairs because they need to hold onto what they have.

Dodge trucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
a $10000 markup on a used truck. They oughtta be brought up on embezzlement charges. Then when the 1st customer comes in to inquire, that customer will be told that that $76ooo is their "to the bone" price and they arent making a thing at that price. I know full well that the idiots I bought my 12 from made at least $3500 on the deal and that was what I was told along with "we arent in buisness to lose money" We have a no haggle policy and pretty much live by it. Most vehicles I have ever owned I have paid less for than what they made off of me alone. and my faithful 95 Dakota cost me less than the TAXES I paid on this '12, 5 years ago! and I', still driving that one too! Crooks.

Last edited:

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How is it the dealers fault?? If people are willing to pay the price that’s their own problem…

If people would just stop paying these prices, the prices will drop.

FYI Im selling my truck to the first guy with $70k. Already been offered $60k multiple times.

Dodge trucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cuz they LIE whine and cry that they are "selling it at a loss" no matter how hard they take the public over the coals. We all know they can "cook the book" and make it appear any way they want it to look "on paper" to a prospective customer. Liars and cheaters.

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nahh, I buy under plan pricing and have bought better than plan pricing.

Just another conspiracy theory.

It’s not their fault people are willing to pay what they ask. People have the freedom to think on their own.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
It's all relative. I've been quoted 5-6000$ more than I paid for my '19 Laramie but would have to pay msrp for a new model and selection is slim so until I get what I want, not pulling the plug. I've been wanting to upgrade to a new 2500 laramie gas but dealers want more for one of them than my son paid for his '19 laramie 2500 4x4 ccsb diesel new. he bought after the panic started but before the shortages began. 74,000$ msrp but paid 63,000$. now the dealers around me are getting 65,000 for new 2500 laramie gas with same equipment.

Jeremy1974

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
This is strange to me. Earlier this month I sold my truck to a dealer for $4k more than I paid for it in 2018, it was a 2018 Chevy 1500. I saw it posted on their page for about $1500 more than they gave me for it. So not a huge mark up. I then Purchased a barely used 2020 Ram 1500 Built to serve Edition for roughly $12k less than new..I used the money I got from my old truck to pay off the small amount remaining on the truck and a 2nd signature loan. Even putting no money down I am saving $411 a month by getting anewer truck.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought a 2016 chevy 3500hd in 2020. The dealer called a year later and asked if I wanted to trade it in and they would give me 2k more then what I paid for it. I told them I put 34k on the odometer in the year and they did not care. This year i was also looking at a newer truck and 2019 ram 3500 laramie with 55k miles are selling for 69,000 in my area. My buddy at the dealer got me into a 2022 3500 big horn for same price. Used market is out of control and The new market seemed to stall out a little and drop a little.

Dodge trucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm pissed.
I bought my 12 1500 reg cab long bed about a month later (2 weeks ago) sold my rotted out 99 Dakota. V6, 151k miles, and badly rotten bed. Club cab.
I looked on CL and Fake book for a bit to see what other similar year Dakota's we're selling for around here. I actually thought I had overpaid for it 2-1/2 years ago when I got it.my son listed it for me on marketplace at a price close but slightly under most others as most others were 50 miles away in one direction or another. So I had mine for "just a little bit less" than others I saw listed.
Actually I never specifically seen a "99" for sale but -01s-'02s-and an 03 maybe 2. Same miles or more than mine, same amount of rust, etc
But I figured get those are newer even though they look identical (except may for color) to a 99. And since mine is the older version I thought I'd put mine a little bit less. Like a couple hundred bucks or so.
Well it wasn't 45 minutes and we had 5 hits. One asked me to call, so I did. While I was on the phone with this guy another guy (someone we know) came on and said "Sold. I'll take it". He gave me within $50 of what we listed it for.
Knowing this guy has a tire/alignment shop and a mom and pop used car lot I figured it would end up there. Ok I guess I sold it a little bit cheap.
And wondered how much he thought he could make on my rust bucket. Well it's out there on the lot. He put 4 matching tires on it I had a different brand on front vs on the back. But having a tire shop I'm sure he had these stashed and cost him $0, takeoffs as he does sell used tires as well.
I stopped by the car lot yesterday to see how much he had on my old truck. And it pissed me off, hope he chokes on it, has it sitting there a year from now. A truck he gave me $1700 for, I figured he'd price it around $2495ish.
Wrong. He's got $3895 in the window. HES BEYOND NUTS!!!! I paid $3 grand for it nearly 3 years ago and thought I had overpaid a bit at that, even then. I did get it from a private party.
I did put 50k miles on it,1/3 of the total miles on it from new, in that time.
But $3895 for a rotted out 23 year old Dakota?
He literally did polish a rusty ****. Which makes the rust stand out even that much more.
I'm beyond pissed off