Using cargo camera inputs for front camera?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I suspect there will be a reason why this won't work, but I'm going to propose it anyway.

We can turn on the Cargo Camera access with AlphaOBD and the '16+ VP3/VP4 radios have the cargo camera inputs on pins 24-26 of the main radio connector, so is there a reason that you couldn't just attach a camera to those inputs and have a front camera without paying hundreds for a Lockpick or similar device? I realize that the cargo camera only stays on for 15 seconds at a time (or so I've read) but for my purposes that would be sufficient. I have no need for the other features of a Lockpick, etc. I can buy a small universal vehicle camera for less than $20, mount it in the grill and if I can get @Mpgrimm2 or @DeereGuy to build me a harness to tap into those lines, is there a reason it wouldn't work? The only reason I can think of is if the radio needs the camera to be on the can-bus somehow.

-K

Mrmagoolin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I think it would work. Only thing would be that you have to always turn it on when you want to use it. With the lock pick it would come on automatically when you drop below a certain speed. Just like the backup camera comes on when you put it in reverse.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Yes it will work. @Ghost_RAM did it on his using a female RCA pigtail with the radio connector terminals on it. (I also did it on my 13 ram (used a Customtronix SW Jailbreak).
See post 1164 from Cptwing's Backup Camera kit thread. for the install ...

Edit:
* 2013-2015 RAx radios support both Backup and Cargo camera menu input buttons on v17.11.17 SW ONLY !!

There's no way for consumer to roll back to a previous version from 17.43.1 (contact NavRepair).

* 16-18 radios support both cameras on all SW versions (currently)

M² Mods.

Last edited:

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes it will work. @Ghost_RAM did it on his using a female RCA pigtail with the radio connector terminals on it. (I also did it on my 13 ram (used a Customtronix SW Jailbreak)

M² Mods.

Your jailbreak is what allows you to do it on yours. he is trying to do it without a jailbreak solution and just simply turning it on.

OP
OP
kad

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Only thing would be that you have to always turn it on when you want to use it. With the lock pick it would come on automatically when you drop below a certain speed.

That would actually work fine for me. I really don't want it to come on every time I slow down. Manually activating it when parking close to something in the front would be exactly what I would want.

-K

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That would actually work fine for me. I really don't want it to come on every time I slow down. Manually activating it when parking close to something in the front would be exactly what I would want.

-K
I agree , that's the main reason I never got the customtronics jailbreak was it would be coming on all the time [emoji1303]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here is the one I am using in the front emblem. I had another previously installed but the overall quality and viewing angle wasn't as good as the link below. The only issue I have is adjustment.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ARS6UWG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'll upload a couple pics here in a bit to show the look and quality.

Edit: Pics

I have to have the cam popped out of the top edge for better downward angle.
IMG-5583.JPG

You can see my faux pas when drilling out the emblem. Because of the way it looks and not having more of a reference point (bumper edge) like the rev cam gives me I am probably going to relocate to the grill or something.
IMG-5584.JPG

IMG-5578.JPG

Rev cam for quality comparison. The wider view angle of the rev cam is nice at around 180°. The one I installed looks more like 120°.
IMG-5579.JPG

IMG-5581.JPG
With the bottom of the screen to the bezel, it puts me about 12" off any object. Also, the left and right corners of the bezel are pretty close to being in line with the truck left/right bumper.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kad

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
As @Mpgrimm2 stated, I don't have jailbreak and the cargo cam for front cam works just fine. I have the "cargo" soft key on my bottom lineup for easy access.

Excelent, thanks! Where did you tap into the lines? At the radio connector or at one of the pillar connectors?

-K

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Excelent, thanks! Where did you tap into the lines? At the radio connector or at one of the pillar connectors?

-K

No problem and I pinned the radio connector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
kad

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Here is the one I am using in the front emblem. I had another previously installed but the overall quality and viewing angle wasn't as good as the link below. The only issue I have is adjustment.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ARS6UWG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was thinking of trying one of these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-Front...rse-Camera-Ajustable-Parking-Kit/263995552146 It appears to be very adjustable and you can set whether or not it's mirror imaged and the guidelines. I like how setting it in the emblem looks, but I may just design/print a mount that goes in one of the hex shaped openings in the grill, at least for initial testing.

-K

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was thinking of trying one of these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-Front...rse-Camera-Ajustable-Parking-Kit/263995552146 It appears to be very adjustable and you can set whether or not it's mirror imaged and the guidelines. I like how setting it in the emblem looks, but I may just design/print a mount that goes in one of the hex shaped openings in the grill, at least for initial testing.

-K
That looks very similar to this one from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AYGKEVK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

While it was very adjustable, the pic quality and viewing angle wasn't near as good IMO.

I have a OEM rev cam and pigtail and looked extensively on trying to figure out a way to use it but couldn't find anything on removing the "mirroring". I still might break it open and see what's what, I'd only be out 40 bucks.

Reactions: kad
OP
OP
kad

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow, that is pretty narrow. Nowhere near the 170° the rear one is. Doesn't look like it's even 120°. I see a few that are higher res and 170°, but they are all the large external mount style like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DC5KXDC

-K
Definitely better than the original one I had installed. If you look at the customer images of the install on the Ford, it still doesn't stretch out past the bumper like our rev cams do on the corners. So either it's not 170° or ours are more than that.

OP
OP
kad

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Definitely better than the original one I had installed. If you look at the customer images of the install on the Ford, it still doesn't stretch out past the bumper like our rev cams do on the corners. So either it's not 170° or ours are more than that.

I think my first task is going to be to order a couple different cameras via Amazon (easy to return the ones that aren't up to *****) and test them for angle, clarity, etc using one of the FPV monitors I have left over from some drone camera experiments. Once I find something that works I'll worry about the best way to tap the into the lines. (Still hoping to be able to do it somewhere other than the back of the radio, after the bent pin issue I had with my radio install I dislike messing with that one.) From @DeereGuy post here I think they may be accessible at a connector behind the light switch. I have to get under there and check if mine has the wires there.

-K

Last edited:

DeereGuy

Preferred Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I think my first task is going to be to order a couple different cameras via Amazon (easy to return the ones that aren't up to *****) and test them for angle, clarity, etc using one of the FPV monitors I have left over from some drone camera experiments. Once I find something that works I'll worry about the best way to tap the into the lines. (Still hoping to be able to do it somewhere other than the back of the radio, after the bent pin issue I had with my radio install I dislike messing with that one.) From @DeereGuy post here I think they may be accessible at a connector behind the light switch. I have to get under there and check if mine has the wires there.

-K

If you have a 1500 the wires will not be there in the connector behind the headlamp switch. If you have a 2500+ it’s possible depending on the trim level.

OP
OP
kad

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Did a little testing today. I ordered 3 cameras off of Amazon, plus I had one around that I bought for a trailer project. And to finish it off, I stopped by the dealer and took a 2019 with the front camera for a test drive.

All the tests were done with the same monitor (a smallish TFT LCD I had around from a RC project), set to the same (or at least similar) aspect ratio as the RA4 radios. I tried to position each camera in the same spot on the truck, which was just above the grill emblem.

Camera #1 - This is the one I had hanging around already. It's mirror imaged and has grid lines, but I tested it just to see. The big failure in my opinion is it's nowhere near the 150° field of view they claim.

E-KYLIN

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018PGJNGM

Claimed Specs:
Color sensor: PC7070HD
Lens: f: 2mm, F: 2.0
Min LUX: 0.1LUX
Resolution: 420 TV Lines
Viewing angle: 150°
Water Proof: IP68

EKYLIN-Mount.jpg
EKYLIN-Image.jpg

Camera #2 - This one has, by far, the most adjustability, but it's field of view seems pretty much the same as the E-Kylin despite the 170° claim. The reviews also mention a lot of issues with the set screw backing out and/or stripping.

BW "Front Car Camera"

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AYGKEVK

Claimed Specs:
Image sensor: Color CCD
Lens ?mm, F=1.2
Minimum illumination: 0.1Lux
Resolution: 480TVL
Lens Angle: 170°
Waterproof: IP67

BW-Mount.jpg
BW-Image.jpg

Camera #3 - This one had a little better image than the first two, but the field of view was about the same. The listing does not show a claimed field of view.

Chuanganzhuo Car Front View Camera

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ARS6UWG

Claimed Specs:
Image device:CMOS
Lens ?mm, F=?
Minimum illumination: ?
Resolution: 480TV Line
Lens Angle: ?
Waterproof:IP67/IP68

Chuan-Mount.jpg
Chuan-Image.jpg

Camera #4 - From an image and field of view perspective, this was, in my opinion, the best of the 4. It was also the heaviest with a solid metal housing. However, it's mounting method does not work for the grill area on our trucks. It's meant to be mounted underneath an overhang.

ZSMJ Car Rearview Camera

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DC5KXDC

Claimed Specs:

Image device:?
Lens ?mm, F=?
Minimum illumination: ?
Resolution:600 TV line
Lens Angle: 170°
Waterproof grade: IP68

JSMC-Mount.jpg
JSMC-Image.jpg

Bonus - Camera #5 - No specs available on this one, but the field of view was almost a fisheye, clearly showing both ends of the front bumper. I noticed that the rear camera also had this effect, where my 2014's rear camera shows the entire rear bumper almost straight across. I have asked Benny if he can get me the part number and pinouts on the camera out of the 2019. If it's inexpensive enough and appears to be usable from an electrical standpoint I may pick one up for testing.

2019 Ram 1500 Longhorn Front Camera (from 360 system)

2019-Image.jpg

Conclusion so far: The BW & Chuanganzhuo are going back. The ZSMJ has a number of selectable options (mirror imaging and turning off the grid lines amongst others). I'm probably going to keep it and see if I can open it up and rotate the guts 180 degrees so it can be mounted in a usable fashion. I'll post again when I manage that or I hear from Benny on the 2019 camera.

-K

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Cool testing methods [emoji1303]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Spud2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
I had an aftermarket radio and put a $20 one off amazon in the top center hole of the honey comb section of the grill, aimed down a little. This allowed me to see a touch of the front emblem, the front bumper, and far in front of me. Also easy to hide the wires as they were all behind the grill. Worked great for pulling up close to things.