V6 or V8?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BuschLatte420

chill water by day, drink beer by night
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic tradesmen crew cab 6’4 box
Engine
5.7L NON E-TORQUE 3.92 gears 4x4
Try the v6 first. If you like how it drives, it should work well for your needs.

If I was in your position I'd also give the GM twins a look, with the 2.7 turbo. It will keep up with the hemi for daily driving and feel much stronger than the v6 in the Ram. It's built like a tank too (overkill) so don't worry about the 4 cylinder part of that. It's one of two engines GM tried to kill in their testing, but couldn't. Might be a little more money than what you want to spend though.
Hemi drives better vs that engine, just drove one the other day. Has a lot of torque but hemi has more HP.

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
V-6 Cummins diesel all day long.

OP
OP
F

FLFBSManiac

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I’m comfy with the classic look, still trying to digest them ditching the Dodge connection.

OP
OP
F

FLFBSManiac

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I have a ‘52 waiting for restoration (still runs, use it to go haul a few times a year) - and I was angry when they dropped Dodge. But I can’t argue with their success.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hemi drives better vs that engine, just drove one the other day. Has a lot of torque but hemi has more HP.

In my experience, the 2.7 feels stronger during daily driving, anywhere from 0 to 3500 RPMs or so. And it is, because it produces more torque at lower RPMs than the 5.7 does. It feels close to a diesel in that respect, a hit of low torque low down with almost 0 lag.

Yes once you get on it hard, the 5.7 is quicker, but you need to work both trucks hard to get to that point where the 5.7 is putting out more power to the ground.

So most people on a test drive just mash the pedal and say "oh this truck feels quicker". But drive it for a while like you've owned it for 3 years and you're just bored, and that 2.7 will shine.

BuschLatte420

chill water by day, drink beer by night
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic tradesmen crew cab 6’4 box
Engine
5.7L NON E-TORQUE 3.92 gears 4x4
In my experience, the 2.7 feels stronger during daily driving, anywhere from 0 to 3500 RPMs or so. And it is, because it produces more torque at lower RPMs than the 5.7 does. It feels close to a diesel in that respect, a hit of low torque low down with almost 0 lag.

Yes once you get on it hard, the 5.7 is quicker, but you need to work both trucks hard to get to that point where the 5.7 is putting out more power to the ground.

So most people on a test drive just mash the pedal and say "oh this truck feels quicker". But drive it for a while like you've owned it for 3 years and you're just bored, and that 2.7 will shine.
When I did test drive my friends I will say it scooted nice for being easy on the peddle, was just different though.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Really? In a Ram 2500/3500? The 5.9 and 6.7 cummins have been used since 1989, they're both inline.
Yes, but he is buying a half ton. The Eco diesel is a V6, though not made by Cummins. However, Cummins does make V6 diesels. So the blanket comment that V6 Cummins don't exist is wrong but true they don't exist in a Ram pickups.

The OG Was Awesome in 2014​

Although mired in emissions-related controversy in its early years, the Italian-made VM Motori second-gen 3.0-liter Ram EcoDiesel V-6 immediately proved itself as a beast in the half-ton segment. The engine, linked with an eight-speed automatic transmission, produced a class-leading 420 lb-ft of torque at 4,500 rpm, and knocked down 28 mpg in highway fuel economy. At the time, it was the best EPA-recorded mpg for a half-ton pickup.

And It's Even Better Now​

Ram brought the engine-building in-house in 2020, creating an updated powerplant that will henceforth be remembered as the final 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V-6 for its half-ton rigs (the eight-speed gearbox remains). At 480 lb-ft, the last EcoDiesel continues to pump out segment-leading torque (with 260 horsepower), which gives appropriately configured Ram 1500s the ability to tow up to 12,560 pounds. EPA-scored fuel range in the city remains 22 mpg, and 32 mpg on the highway for certain Tradesman High Fuel Efficiency (HFE) models.

Last edited:

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Yes, but he is buying a half ton. The Eco diesel is a V9, though not made by Cummins. However, Cummins does make V6 diesels. So the blanket comment that they don't exist is wrong.
ramffml is correct, that v6 you mentioned doesn't exist in any production Ram. The 3.0 eco diesel is a fiat engine. Many issues with that engine too.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I've owned the V6 in a Jeep and a Durango. Both were more than adequate and had plenty of power and we had zero issues with either of them. If you just intend to use as you mentioned, a V6 will likely do you just fine.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
ramffml is correct, that v6 you mentioned doesn't exist in any production Ram. The 3.0 eco diesel is a fiat engine. Many issues with that engine too.
The post you quoted says exactly that, so what is your point.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

I'm trying to figure out what yours is. No doubt Cummins (which is completely separate from Ram) builds different engine designs for commercial purposes etc. But there is no v6 cummins in a truck (stock), which is the context of this thread.

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
Just trying to see if anyone was paying attention.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I'm trying to figure out what yours is. No doubt Cummins (which is completely separate from Ram) builds different engine designs for commercial purposes etc. But there is no v6 cummins in a truck (stock), which is the context of this thread.
Funny enough we are both saying the same thing, just in different ways. All good by me. I edited my post so it is more clear.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Just the point that before FCA Ram was going to get a v6 Cummins but FCA decided to use a spaghetti diesel, hence the 3L eco. Thought you may have believed they did use the Cummins.
:cheers:

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
You are incorrect about that. Google V6 Cummins.
I did. According to my sources the current 6.7 liter Cummins diesel that is put into Ram 2500 and 3500 trucks is an inline 6.
See:
You are incorrect about that. Google V6 Cummins.
Dean2:

Not only is the 6.7 liter Cummins an inline engine, and has been for years, the 3.0 liter V-6 diesel that Ram put into my 1500 Ram truck is definitely NOT built by Cummins. It's an Italian job.

Secondly Ram currently doesn't put any Cummins engines of any sort into any 1500 series trucks.

And the OP isn't even asking about diesels. They asked for a comparison between the V6 and V8 gas engines that Ram actually does put into the 1500 series.

OP
OP
F

FLFBSManiac

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I don’t know enough about diesels to buy one for an everyday driver. I make mostly short trips with an occasional trip to the Cleveland Clinic - about a two hour drive. I’m guessing the eco-diesel may not like a lot of short trips. An acquaintance says he has to send his oil out for testing to watch for metal shavings due to a couple of known or expected issues that tend to tear the engines up. Not sure how often that occurs and it may only be in the early versions but anyway I thought a gas engine was more appropriate for me.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
I don’t know enough about diesels to buy one for an everyday driver. I make mostly short trips with an occasional trip to the Cleveland Clinic - about a two hour drive. I’m guessing the eco-diesel may not like a lot of short trips. An acquaintance says he has to send his oil out for testing to watch for metal shavings due to a couple of known or expected issues that tend to tear the engines up. Not sure how often that occurs and it may only be in the early versions but anyway I thought a gas engine was more appropriate for me.
While I really like the V6 3.0 liter EcoDiesel that Ram put into my truck, its expensive and overkill for short commutes in city traffic (as I believe the 5.7 V8 may be as well). Its best used for long distances, especially long distance towing and highway driving, where its combination of high torque and high mpg and range really impresses. The EcoD is really not needed for around town work trucks, grocery haulers -- or for everyday short commutes.

However, it might be really sweet for that that 2 hour drive if it was all highway. I get 30-33 mpg on the interstate with the cruise control set between 65 and 70. Combined with the 33 gallon optional fuel tank... yeah, I've driven 900 miles between fillups.

The last I will say about diesel is that right now the retail price of diesel at your neighborhood station is just plain stupid astronomical. It almost offsetts the increased MPGs you get from the diesel. IF you buy a diesel, you seriously need to get the big fuel tank option AND get a fleet fuel card and fill up using the MyOpenRoads app and EFS fleet card. It saves between $1.00 and $2.00 a gallon depending on state and station. The drawback to this is obvious -- if you don't have a truckstop that takes the card near your home, work, or on the way between them!