V8 or V6....need advice?!?!

Ram with a V6 or V8

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mudders Beast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Found a trade in Laramie CC hemi, 6700 miles and saved a lot. Later I got a 8x18 trailer and glad I went with the Hemi and Factory Electric Brake Controller. Getting the hemi may open up to more buyers if you resale later. 8 speed transmission is nice. JMO. Good luck on whichever you decide.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
The V6 is a good choice. Remember...it replaced the 318 and the 360 as base engines. Most recently they completely dropped the 4.7 because the V6 got better power and fuel mileage.

So all the guys who used to own a 318...the V6 is more capable and costs less to run.

The HEMI makes great sense though as it is a great all around engine.

But the V6 works well as a light duty truck engine.

Herb Wheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic
Engine
3.6L
My 2019 Ram Classic 1500 is a V6 and fun to drive! I had an Ecodiesel and got tired of all the recalls! Twelve in three years. Then the EGR failure recall made me trade it. I think the V6 is such a simple to work on engine. Everything is easy to get to. Easy oil change too. On 6 percent grade my engine had to work a little more but I went as fast as I wanted to go. It just now mainly hauls butts! Don’t have large boat or trailers anymore. Great gas mileage too.

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So all the guys who used to own a 318...the V6 is more capable and costs less to run.

The V6 is more capable than the 360 my '01 Ram had. That was only 245hp.

I wouldn't worry about resale. Buy what you need now not what you think the next person wants. If you're not towing heavy the V6 is the engine for you. If you think that you'll be towing something large in the future hold out for a Hemi.

Take note that the Hemi with the 3.21 rear only tows about 1000 to 1200 more than the V6 with the 3.55 rear. If you get the Hemi get one with a 3.92 rear. Me personally, I needed the Hemi with a 3.92 rear because I'm towing a '33 trailer the weighs 7500lbs loaded.

Last edited:

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar owner here. I have a 2018 CC 4X4 BigHorn with the 3.6L V6 and I’m more than happy with it. I do not tow anything other than my sisters double jet ski trailer twice a year and at about 2000 lbs the V6 is adequate in the Pocono Mountains of PA. It will hunt for gears on long inclines but it’s twice a year and that’s fine with me. It’s no race car! I’d say power is adequate. It’s comfortable and quiet and gets good gas mileage under most conditions. Around town it never gets less than 17mpg and typically around 20mpg. On the highway with cruise at 60mph, flat roads I average 25-26mpg BUT push it up to 70+ mph and mileage drops quite a bit, around 21-22mpg even with the 3:21 gears. My truck is a suburban garage queen used to carry a family of four and occasional trips to the dump or big box hardware store to bring back bags of mulch, sand or stone. I don’t off road per se but I do hike quite a bit and it has been great on rough dirt and gravel roads out in the sticks. I personally like the auto 4WD system and accept its limitations. Much greater peace of mind knowing my wife or daughter can push the “auto” button and forget about it. As others have said, it all depends on what you need the truck for. I don’t regret my decision.

Paul S Rivera

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar V6
I have owned 2nd, 3rd and for the past year and 30K+ miles 4th gen Tradesman Crew cab with V6. I could not be happier! 22-24 mpg not uncommon. I am home improvement contractor that sometimes loads up heavy with tools and still will be in 19-20 mpg range. I debated the same exact thing however...When I added factory remote start(which added keyless entry) the dealer gave me a 5th gen hemi as loaner. When leaving the dealership I had my foot in the truck to feel the power difference which I did but it was not a worlds of difference. I found myself much happier the mpg then being quicker off the line. My old 3rd gen hemi was averaging about 10-11 mpg. This is a great truck, my only single complaint is lack of seat adjustment. I am with everyone else thinking you would be good w/V6. Good luck.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you plan to actually use this as a truck then you need the V8 if your just using it to drive around then 6 cylinder is fine.

46RamMan

U.S. Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The V6 is a good choice. Remember...it replaced the 318 and the 360 as base engines. Most recently they completely dropped the 4.7 because the V6 got better power and fuel mileage.

The HEMI makes great sense though as it is a great all around engine.

But the V6 works well as a light duty truck engine.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !:emotions122::emotions122::emotions122::emotions122::favorites68::favorites68::favorites68::favorites68: touchy feely :gayfight: :happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175::manos::manos::manos::manos::manos::shakehead::shakehead::shakehead: etc.... HEMI's rock... just saying !!!!

NapaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
Just got a 2020 Classic Tradesman with the V6. If you have a strict budget, the V6 is the way to go. The Hemi's are like a $6000 upgrade. That's a pretty big difference for a sub-$30,000 truck. I'm new here also, but from what I have read the Pentastar is bulletproof. Of course it's no Hemi in power and acceleration, but if you aren't towing super heavy loads and aren't a stoplight racer, I think you will be perfectly satisfied with the V6. It's got 305 HP...not exactly underpowered by any means. Not sure what the 0-60 times are for the V6 vs the Hemi, but it's probably insignificant (like around 1 second). My wife has a 2018 Grand Cherokee with the PEntastar and it's plenty.

I put a pedal commander in my V6 and I can tell you it makes a big difference in acceleration for those that are into that sort of thing. I would not drive it without it now.

RypsTrex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Huh ? The Hemi is rock solid engine. The truck around it will rot and fall apart while the Hemi engine just keeps on running and running ...
I agree x1000. I bought my Ram 1500 because it had a Hemi. My TRX4 has 3.92’s and buddy it’s peppy. If I pay attention the fuel economy graph and keep speeds near 60mph, I can get 23mpg. The Hemi is an awesome engine and the 3.92 just flat scoots.

ArmyGrunt66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I agree x1000. I bought my Ram 1500 because it had a Hemi. My TRX4 has 3.92’s and buddy it’s peppy. If I pay attention the fuel economy graph and keep speeds near 60mph, I can get 23mpg. The Hemi is an awesome engine and the 3.92 just flat scoots.

Add me too, my Hemi with 3.92 gears is surprisingly quick for a 5000 pound vehicle, I can’t keep it at 60 Mph though, lol!

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

also here, have the hemi crew cab long bed with the 3.92 rear end, a little pressure on the throttle will easily break traction on wet road, also have been able to get near 21mpg on a trip. love having that power available if needed.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Do you want adequate or do you want overkill? That's honestly the choice. I like overkill, it's more fun. My work car is an AWD hemi Charger. My other car is a Camaro SS/RS. If I had a V6 in my truck it'd never move. I know it's more betterer in terms of numbers then my old 318/4 speed granny gear Dodge, but it's not more funner. Modern V6 + auto trans doesn't have the same appeal. I'd still row my own with the hemi if it was an option, but here we are.

I'd rather save up another year and buy what I really want then settle. I spent a lot of money as a young man settling then upgrading later. I learned to just buy what I really wanted up front. I don't care about fuel economy. I don't drive enough that fuel costs are going to alter my lifestyle. I like mashing the pedal and getting around a semi on a two lane or uphill without a short drama by Willie Makeit, illustrated by Betty Dont.

FL-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Bighorn Night Edition
Engine
V8
I put a pedal commander in my V6 and I can tell you it makes a big difference in acceleration for those that are into that sort of thing. I would not drive it without it now.
I am strongly considering a throttle control device. Don't want to spend $300 for a PC, but I'd like to try something more affordable. I had a 2018 F-150 Ecoboost that had a sport mode, but rarely used it because it was too touchy. Would routinely break traction and fishtail with slight pedal press, plus it burns a lot more gas constantly being in the higher RPMs.

Gixxer750

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015_2017
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is all about the use, glad there are happy campers with the V6. As I said, really liked mine, just won't work for my needs.
The etorque flight was available on that correct? From a dead stop, that will compensate. However as others have mention gearing is worth as much or more than the engine torque and Hp. . They' re are a lot of door things said about that motor. However, this is going to purely boil down to the trucks mission statement. What do you need it to do. 3.55 is solid advice and most common after the 3.21. If you can find a 3.73 unicorn. It Chace that down. That etorque does fantastic at giving you the umph to get going of a dead stop. Don't underestimate it. I was imprempresive