Vehicle Recovery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

3TV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
What he said, ... and, the literature that comes with the shackles and everything on their website says 68,000 lbs. So if its a typo, they made the same typo a whole bunch of times.

Last edited:

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What he said, ... and, the literature that comes with the shackles and everything on their website says 68,000 lbs. So if its a typo, they made the same typo a whole bunch of times.
You are correct, not a typo but the working load limit is 16k or 17k

Tpettit

TAPPER
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Was stationed in Fallon NV mid 80's, lots of desert out there. Was about 15 miles from the nearest ..well... anything. Came across a mudhole that was dry on top so you couldn't tell it was a mudhole. Sunk up to about axle level and going nowhere. 73 PW with a PTO winch from an old forest service truck. Absolutely nothing out there to hook up to, so I dug a hole in the sand/mud, put my spare tire in the hole with a ramped trench for the cable, and earth anchor!! Point is, doesn't matter WHERE you plan on going, always gear up like you are on your own.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
I have a hatchet I carry on my rig. Had to cut of branches to get logs underneath my tires to gain traction. My tool got more sophisticated. I don’t pneumatic anymore as my power tools get the job done when making a repair or removing a broke part or changing tires.
also a large can of fix a flat comes in handy if you have 2 flats or come across some one without a spare.

MJockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Upgrading some more recovery gear after the change from Jeeps to a Power Wagon ...

Changed from a Warn snatch block rated at 12,000 lbs, to a GearAmerica snatch block rated at 20,000 lbs.

This has been interesting upgrading my recovery gear. It turns out that GearAmerica has great products. Their quality is equal to ARB, and a little better than Warn, for about half the price.

Just ordered GearAmerica's new Mega Snatch Block with a 12.5T WLL to add to my recovery gear. I already had a ARB one rated at 9.9 WLL, but with the weight of the PW, the 12.5T sounds like a better fit.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
With new Power Wagons now coming with the synthetic rope I thought it was appropriate to talk about winch tensioning again for synthetic rope that comes with the PW in a 2019 & 2020. Before you use the winch, let the rope out( free spool) all the way till you see the red protectant line exposed 3 to 4 feet. This would make sure that the rope is stretched around the drum completely one time which is roughly 9 to 11 revolutions. Then engage the winch. Attach the hook to an object you are going to pull toward you or to an anchor you’re going to pull up to. I pulled my tractor to me up hill with the parking brake (not completely locked) set on the tractor.
Now you can pull you rig to a tree up hill or apply brake if the ground is level. Make a straight pull and the rope will wind up evenly on the drum. When you get to the last 4-6 feet unhook and apply resistance the remainder of the line-in until you hook it back on your bumper. Do not drive around without the rope taunt, (Fastened to your bumper) or it will loosen around the drum again.

30D471B7-C481-417C-BB92-486F1BE20C91.jpeg

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
With new Power Wagons now coming with the synthetic rope I thought it was appropriate to talk about winch tensioning again for synthetic rope that comes with the PW in a 2019 & 2020. Before you use the winch, let the rope out( free spool) all the way till you see the red protectant line exposed 3 to 4 feet. This would make sure that the rope is stretched around the drum completely one time which is roughly 9 to 11 revolutions. Then engage the winch. Attach the hook to an object you are going to pull toward you or to an anchor you’re going to pull up to. I pulled my tractor to me up hill with the parking brake (not completely locked) set on the tractor.
Now you can pull you rig to a tree up hill or apply brake if the ground is level. Make a straight pull and the rope will wind up evenly on the drum. When you get to the last 4-6 feet unhook and apply resistance the remainder of the line-in until you hook it back on your bumper. Do not drive around without the rope taunt, (Fastened to your bumper) or it will loosen around the drum again.

View attachment 190691
Wise advice ya'll wake up n pay attention. @Trailmaker knows what he's talkin about.
@Trailmaker YTM

Blue Mule

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Wise advice ya'll wake up n pay attention. @Trailmaker knows what he's talkin about.
@Trailmaker YTM

Blue Mule
Thanks.
It’s funny I had a few rigs that I learned the hard way on. But still used my PW to pull a very small tree stump out with, before I tensioned the rope, and dang it I could not get it to free spool past 20’. I had to tie it off and pull against it, since it pinch itself on the drum. That’s what I get for being lazy. Haha
I found that it was much harder to pull out my cable on my Raptor drum after using the winch to pull a tractor out of a pond for its first use.

Last edited:

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
That's how we learn. Just by doing things whether it's the right way or not. When it's a not we then figure out a better way.

Blue Mule

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
@Trailmaker
Oh I need the part number on the winch tray if you have time and can find it. Please

Blue Mule

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Winch tray?
https://www.westinautomotive.com/max-winch-tray/2018/ram/2500
or did you mean fairlead. Here is one but it won’t fit a 2018 stock bummer https://www.warn.com/100725-epic-15-fairlead-gunmetal-2

I might not understand your term. Give me another word for “tray” if it was not the first link.
Winch tray is the plate that goes between the frames. The winch bolts on top of it.
[___]WW[___] as best as I can draw it with alphphonetics. LoL

Blue Mule

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Winch tray is the plate that goes between the frames. The winch bolts on top of it.
[___]WW[___] as best as I can draw it with alphphonetics. LoL

Blue Mule
Oh okay. A winch plate/winch mounting plate. I only had to buy one in the last 10 years to do my under mount setups on my Fords, because I would take it off and put it on the next truck till I bought the PW. For my Jeep I used a Warn bumper that was winch ready.
But here is the part list OME you are looking for I believe. https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/parts-list/2017-ram-2500/frame-bumper-and-fascia-winch-front.html

danoday

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does any one know of a hand held, 12v, utility type light that would either plug-in to the trailer receptacle or winch receptacle. Some sort of utility light with a long cord similar to the winch controller to power a light under the truck power? thanks in advance.

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This has been an excellent thread for me as I’ve never off road recreationally. It’s always been “****! We’re stuck” with never the foresight to have the proper gear. Then I’m usually mad because I will late to the deer stand. So, I really was clueless about proper recovery techniques. I had a 37,500 lbs rope with sleeve built from Triple S Ropes in KS(he will build whatever you request and builds for heavy machinery recovery), pulley block on the way and will have to go to the CO-OP to find a D ring to fit through the loops of the over kill anchor rope I had made. My question for y’all is putting the back seat stock PW floor mat over the steel cable adequate? I feel the cable will be the weakest link in my setup as I’ve over killed everything because 75 percent of my winch use is pulling something(tractor is 10,000 lbs) out WITH the PW(all my friends have Chevy’s). Just trying to not accidentally kill myself, again.

danoday

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know there is a lot owners on here who really use the trucks in rural areas. Most people I know that own 4x4 trucks never get deeper than a gravel road. Maybe we can keep this feed going, I would definitely be interested in prepping for adventure/offroading. But I would definitely like to be prepared first. Maybe if we keep this feed going someone will chime in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk