Vehicle Recovery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Does any one know of a hand held, 12v, utility type light that would either plug-in to the trailer receptacle or winch receptacle. Some sort of utility light with a long cord similar to the winch controller to power a light under the truck power? thanks in advance.
No, but there is an accessory that plugs into the trailer hitch plug and converts it to a standard 12V car outlet. That may be an easier place to start.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
This has been an excellent thread for me as I’ve never off road recreationally. It’s always been “****! We’re stuck” with never the foresight to have the proper gear. Then I’m usually mad because I will late to the deer stand. So, I really was clueless about proper recovery techniques. I had a 37,500 lbs rope with sleeve built from Triple S Ropes in KS(he will build whatever you request and builds for heavy machinery recovery), pulley block on the way and will have to go to the CO-OP to find a D ring to fit through the loops of the over kill anchor rope I had made. My question for y’all is putting the back seat stock PW floor mat over the steel cable adequate? I feel the cable will be the weakest link in my setup as I’ve over killed everything because 75 percent of my winch use is pulling something(tractor is 10,000 lbs) out WITH the PW(all my friends have Chevy’s). Just trying to not accidentally kill myself, again.
Maybe you should consider a rope instead of the cable. I used a cable for years and use a damper https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H892N9M?tag=duckduckgo-iphone-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1
https://factor55.com/product/vehicle-recovery-kit-borah/
if you are lacking a few things or you want someone to put a recovery bag together for you then factor 55 is a good place to start.
youhttps://factor55.com/product/vehicle-recovery-kit-borah/

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
I know there is a lot owners on here who really use the trucks in rural areas. Most people I know that own 4x4 trucks never get deeper than a gravel road. Maybe we can keep this feed going, I would definitely be interested in prepping for adventure/offroading. But I would definitely like to be prepared first. Maybe if we keep this feed going someone will chime in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
What kind of off roading do you prefer? The gear for the woods is different the the gear for the mountains. Not that you can’t have it all but where would you like to start?

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Maybe you should consider a rope instead of the cable. I used a cable for years and use a damper https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H892N9M?tag=duckduckgo-iphone-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1
if you are lacking a few things or you want someone to put a recovery bag together for you then factor 55 is a good place to start.
youhttps://factor55.com/product/vehicle-recovery-kit-borah/
Thanks for the info! Is the warn dampening bag Heavier than it looks? I read you could use a blanket or back seat floor mat but just seemed that it needs weight or just be large like a blanket to direct energy downward(worried about floor mat working). I didn’t mention I also had a 5 ft 25000 lb rope made and think it is probably more in line with what’s needed and 3/4 D rings fit it. The 10 ft 37000 is going to need at least 1” d rings if I can find. I’m too far in now to order a kit!

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Thanks for the info! Is the warn dampening bag Heavier than it looks? I read you could use a blanket or back seat floor mat but just seemed that it needs weight or just be large like a blanket to direct energydownward(worried about floor mat working). I didn’t mention I also had a 5 ft 25000 lb rope made and think it is probably more in line with what’s needed and 3/4 D rings fit it. The 10 ft 37000 is going to need at least 1” d rings if I can find. I’m too far in now to order a kit!
I meant a synthetic rope. https://www.warn.com/spydura-nightline-100ft-synthetic-rope-assembly-with-hook-102558https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H5CYGBK?tag=duckduckgo-iphone-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1

change out your cable with a rope and you don’t have to worry about the cable taking off your head. But yes using a blanket or a floor mat is popular to drape over the cable. The kit as a whole may not be needed but check out the contents. You may like a few things in the bag.

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I meant a synthetic rope. https://www.warn.com/spydura-nightline-100ft-synthetic-rope-assembly-with-hook-102558https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H5CYGBK?tag=duckduckgo-iphone-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1

change out your cable with a rope and you don’t have to worry about the cable taking off your head. But yes using a blanket or a floor mat is popular to drape over the cable. The kit as a whole may not be needed but check out the contents. You may like a few things in the bag.
Will do! Didn’t realize it was as simple as removing the cable and putting on the rope. Only $100 too. Seems too good to be true.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Will do! Didn’t realize it was as simple as removing the cable and putting on the rope. Only $100 too. Seems too good to be true.

well there is a little more. You need a fairlead too instead of rollers.

I haven’t tested the $100 rope out as I never broke the ropes that came with my winches. I use snatch blocks when needed to reduce the load as well.

C666B3D8-E7BA-4D0B-BAC3-0D091C9793BF.jpeg

Last edited:

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Not much Vehicle recovery lately, but I did have some pond clearing that needed a winch (or long rope) we pulled at the base in hopes it was rotted enough to break off under the water. Success!
The good thing (pro)about a rope for over the water is the weigh is manageable. The bad thing (con) is, you should keep it out of the mud, as the sand embedded in the rope will shorten the life and the strength.

0081CB3F-35FC-44F9-B592-45B886176D40.jpeg

11A4F949-2B0F-4F5C-87C0-30A0286EE03F.jpeg

JamesgPW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
0AF49110-4DCA-4DB9-8D16-D600BCDCC370.jpeg I had a pretty good solo recovery with my 2019 Power Wagon on 4/29 out in the Lytle Creek CA area. I was exploring some pole access roads Lone Pine Canyon Road. As I turned a corner on the trail there was a deep washed out rut on the passenger side of my rig. At the time I couldn't quite see where it started or how deep it was. I cleared it with my front passenger wheel but then felt my rear passenger wheel drop into it, ultimately resting my rear axle pumpkin on the dirt. I couldn’t reverse because there was hard rock behind my read axle so forward was the only option. I locked up my axles and tried to crawl out but because the trail sloped down toward my passenger side my front passenger wheel slipped into the rut. At this point both my passenger wheels were in the rut with nothing under them and steep raised embankment on my passenger side so everything had to be assessed from my driver side. Should be noted there was nothing with in 300 feet for me to winch off of :-/. I busted out my shovel and started digging dirt to fill the rut under my front passenger tire along with gather large rocks to pack in. I had to clear away some packed dirt in-front of my front axle and sway bar as well and did the same for the rear. After about 45 minutes of digging, filling and rock gathering, I had created a “ramp” under my front passenger tire. I placed one of my X-Bull Traction Boards ($65 for two on Amazon) under it just for good measure. With both axles locked I was able to crawl out, fortunately without causing any damage to my rig, at least that I was able to find. I did crack a traction board but I’d say it was worth the cost.

Good reminder to always have some basic recovery gear with you. Also another good reminder to not go out solo, which I did.

As someone without a lot of recovery experience, is there anything I could have done different here beside get my wheels in a 2 foot deep rut?

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
View attachment 205376 I had a pretty good solo recovery with my 2019 Power Wagon on 4/29 out in the Lytle Creek CA area. I was exploring some pole access roads Lone Pine Canyon Road. As I turned a corner on the trail there was a deep washed out rut on the passenger side of my rig. At the time I couldn't quite see where it started or how deep it was. I cleared it with my front passenger wheel but then felt my rear passenger wheel drop into it, ultimately resting my rear axle pumpkin on the dirt. I couldn’t reverse because there was hard rock behind my read axle so forward was the only option. I locked up my axles and tried to crawl out but because the trail sloped down toward my passenger side my front passenger wheel slipped into the rut. At this point both my passenger wheels were in the rut with nothing under them and steep raised embankment on my passenger side so everything had to be assessed from my driver side. Should be noted there was nothing with in 300 feet for me to winch off of :-/. I busted out my shovel and started digging dirt to fill the rut under my front passenger tire along with gather large rocks to pack in. I had to clear away some packed dirt in-front of my front axle and sway bar as well and did the same for the rear. After about 45 minutes of digging, filling and rock gathering, I had created a “ramp” under my front passenger tire. I placed one of my X-Bull Traction Boards ($65 for two on Amazon) under it just for good measure. With both axles locked I was able to crawl out, fortunately without causing any damage to my rig, at least that I was able to find. I did crack a traction board but I’d say it was worth the cost.

Good reminder to always have some basic recovery gear with you. Also another good reminder to not go out solo, which I did.

As someone without a lot of recovery experience, is there anything I could have done different here beside get my wheels in a 2 foot deep rut?
Love it. Nice job! My advice, get a bigger shovel and another set of traction boards for that price!

Scotts26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
View attachment 205376 I had a pretty good solo recovery with my 2019 Power Wagon on 4/29 out in the Lytle Creek CA area. I was exploring some pole access roads Lone Pine Canyon Road. As I turned a corner on the trail there was a deep washed out rut on the passenger side of my rig. At the time I couldn't quite see where it started or how deep it was. I cleared it with my front passenger wheel but then felt my rear passenger wheel drop into it, ultimately resting my rear axle pumpkin on the dirt. I couldn’t reverse because there was hard rock behind my read axle so forward was the only option. I locked up my axles and tried to crawl out but because the trail sloped down toward my passenger side my front passenger wheel slipped into the rut. At this point both my passenger wheels were in the rut with nothing under them and steep raised embankment on my passenger side so everything had to be assessed from my driver side. Should be noted there was nothing with in 300 feet for me to winch off of :-/. I busted out my shovel and started digging dirt to fill the rut under my front passenger tire along with gather large rocks to pack in. I had to clear away some packed dirt in-front of my front axle and sway bar as well and did the same for the rear. After about 45 minutes of digging, filling and rock gathering, I had created a “ramp” under my front passenger tire. I placed one of my X-Bull Traction Boards ($65 for two on Amazon) under it just for good measure. With both axles locked I was able to crawl out, fortunately without causing any damage to my rig, at least that I was able to find. I did crack a traction board but I’d say it was worth the cost.

I’m no expert by any means but you got out without injury to yourself or damage to your truck so it sounds like the recovery went well. Short of not getting stuck couldn’t ask for a better result.
I’d say the traction board is a sacrifice to the off-road gods lol. Always wondered how the amazon boards would hold up.

JamesgPW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I’m no expert by any means but you got out without injury to yourself or damage to your truck so it sounds like the recovery went well. Short of not getting stuck couldn’t ask for a better result.
I’d say the traction board is a sacrifice to the off-road gods lol. Always wondered how the amazon boards would hold up.

For the money and being I’ve had them for several years now on both this rig and my last rig and this is the only time I needed one of the two, I’d say very worth the cost. The Maxx Trax are nice but just sooooo much more expensive and honestly I think they would have cracked under the weight of an 8500 lbs truck while being stacked on rocks.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine

If you tend to do wide open country off road, then I recommend a land anchor. That way you can always winch. A hi lift jack would have made it easier to put the jack on the hitch to get the pumpkin off the ground to then put your traction pads underneath the rear tires. Or a soft shackle in the rim and lift one rear tire. But you need to have one has part of your recovery tools. Not that what you did was wrong but what sounds like what took you and hour (and maybe a blister) could have be no more then 15 min.
There is a lot of ways to skin that cat.
If all I had was a shovel and skids then I would have dug out a wedge under the back tires so that when I reverse I pull the traction pads in and under creating lift.
Remember you asked. :cheers:

JamesgPW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
If you tend to do wide open country off road, then I recommend a land anchor. That way you can always winch. A hi lift jack would have made it easier to put the jack on the hitch to get the pumpkin off the ground to then put your traction pads underneath the rear tires. Or a soft shackle in the rim and lift one rear tire. But you need to have one has part of your recovery tools. Not that what you did was wrong but what sounds like what took you and hour (and maybe a blister) could have be no more then 15 min.
There is a lot of ways to skin that cat.
If all I had was a shovel and skids then I would have dug out a wedge under the back tires so that when I reverse I pull the traction pads in and under creating lift.
Remember you asked. :cheers:

Thank’s for the feed back. I did actually have a hi lift and a soft shackle but both my passenger side tires were floating about 12 inches off the bottom of the rut so i had to pack something solid under them. I also couldnt access my passenger side because a steep embankment basically came up to about mid window height. I will probably buy a land anchor though for sure because that would have actually been the most useful thing to have. Learning from this, if it ever happened again a winch point on my driver side would have kept me from sliding my front passenger wheel into the rut.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Thank’s for the feed back. I did actually have a hi lift and a soft shackle but both my passenger side tires were floating about 12 inches off the bottom of the rut so i had to pack something solid under them. I also couldnt access my passenger side because a steep embankment basically came up to about mid window height. I will probably buy a land anchor though for sure because that would have actually been the most useful thing to have. Learning from this, if it ever happened again a winch point on my driver side would have kept me from sliding my front passenger wheel into the rut.
Would have loved to see pictures of the setup and the recovery. Next time!

TBONE 2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is the factory 55 ultra hook worth the investment over the stock 2018 PW hook.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Is the factory 55 ultra hook worth the investment over the stock 2018 PW hook.
If you find yourself using the winch a lot, a closed system has an safety advantage. The hook is stronger then the 18 but still the oem hook is not the weakest link. It does have a 2 part function and can pull in flat but investment? I can’t see the $250 justification as only an investment. More like a pair of Ray Bans on the front of your truck. Here is the thread with plenty of opinions.

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/flat-link-e-installed.155041/#post-2188514

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you find yourself using the winch a lot, a closed system has an safety advantage. The hook is stronger then the 18 but still the oem hook is not the weakest link. It does have a 2 part function and can pull in flat but investment? I can’t see the $250 justification as only an investment. More like a pair of Ray Bans on the front of your truck. Here is the thread with plenty of opinions.

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/flat-link-e-installed.155041/#post-2188514

Agreed.

Why not just take the hook off altogether, and when you need to winch get the shackle out and put it through the loop on the cable...is that any different than putting a shackle through a flat link?!