Vehicle Speed Sensor Adapter - Cann't "Clock" Into Position

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robert Wind

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1993 Ram D250, 5.2L, auto

I removed the vehicle speed sensor (VSS) and adapter assembly to change the speedometer pinion gear (to a 35 tooth, but discovered a previous owner had already changed to a 35 tooth so I just stayed with the pinion gear as it was). I discovered VSS's electrical connector was full of trans fluid so I installed a new VSS and connector.
At this time I'm unable to rotate (clock) the adapter assembly to the correct 6-oclock position using the 32-38 tooth adapter housing markings. Everything was working before I pulled the assembly.
The assembly installs easily when the 32-38 tooth adapter housing markings aren't below approximately 3-oclock, and when I keep turning towards the 6-oclock position the adapter assembly becomes "cocked" and won't go to 6-oclock.
I'm assuming this is happening because the pinion gear isn't meshing with the helical gear inside the trans. I tried rotating the pinion gear while rotating the adapter assembly toward 6-oclock but no luck (no gear meshing?).
Can anyone provide info on how to resolve (install the assembly to 6-oclock) this issue?

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Robert Wind

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've added photos for clarification.
20200801_141437[1].jpg adapter clocking.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Robert Wind

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
FYI - finally took my truck to an experienced transmission person. Turns out that the adapter markings (32-38 teeth) need to be to be at 10:00 o'clock and NOT at 6:00 o'clock as the Service Manual states. Works fine at the 10:00 o'clock position.

Last edited: