Voltage at OBDII port and Gauge don't match battery or alternator.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Edit: I'm pretty sure I've solved this. I was just chasing what turned out to be a garbage gauge problem.

Just as the title says and I'm chasing my tail over this one.

This is where my voltage gauge usually sits (for the year that I've owned it):
J6jRb80.png

As of today it's been sitting like this:
0tKqyTN.jpg

When I check Torque Pro via OBDII port I get this:
E99HG2J.jpg

And the kicker is when I check voltages at the battery and the alternator I get this:
pKBDDq3.jpg

Another note, this is ONLY at idle. The second RPMs go up everything goes back to normal. It stays normal while driving as well as of this moment. Another side note is that my headlights have recently begun to dim at idle and brighten when I give it gas. I was leaving towards alternator but that wouldn't explain the 13.5v at the battery and 13.6 at the alternator.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shadow_Death

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Walked outside to do some more testing and on a cold start everything reads normal. So now I'm letting my truck warm up to see if it's heat related.

Edit: after more testing I believe this may just be a wild goose chase and now I just don't trust that gauge in the dash as it wants to report the actual voltage instead of 14.7 all the time. As for the OBDII port I suddenly think that it is supposed to look like that. I think I'm going to install an actual voltage gauge and stop trusting the one in the dash.

Last edited:

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you checking the voltage at the port, as that is only to power devices plugged into it. The voltage torque reads is from the PCM telling the app what the current voltage is, not the voltage at the port.

If this is on the 1996 I would check the alternator voltage regulator or the battery cables. To me I would start on the battery to ground and motor to ground strap but thats just me.

OP
OP
Shadow_Death

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Are you checking the voltage at the port, as that is only to power devices plugged into it. The voltage torque reads is from the PCM telling the app what the current voltage is, not the voltage at the port.

If this is on the 1996 I would check the alternator voltage regulator or the battery cables. To me I would start on the battery to ground and motor to ground strap but thats just me.

At this point I've ruled it down to a faulty gauge in the dash. I checked power at both the battery and the alternator using the ground to the battery and I get 13.5 at the battery and 13.6 at the back of the alternator. The two smaller bolts on the back of the alternator for the voltage regulator show 13.6v at one and anywhere from 0.002ish to 3v that one is super small voltage that I managed to read from it. I even checked voltage that the cigarette lighter in the dash and read 13.5v. I will continue to drive it and see what she does. I drive about 5 miles to work, so if the alternator or voltage regulator go out it won't be that big of an issue to get her home. I think what threw me off is that it went from reading over 14v to under and it fluctuates with engine rpms while the alternator output doesn't. This is where I figured it's just the gauge being dumb.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Glad to hear you got it solved. But yeah, its a common issue on older vehicles, you have rather small wires on the OBD port, and if there is another slight load on them, that voltage will drop considerably, the pins on that also like to corrode heavily in northern climates, not sure if your truck was ever up north.

Those gauges are dumb gauges, they read relatively accurately as long as everything is doing alright but aren't for precise measure, they basically tell you if the alternator is fried or if your battery is shorted. I've got a custom center console with a voltmeter in my 01 and it will sometimes read 1V off what the gauge says. But the PCM reads from the alternator itself, not sure where the gauge reads from on the 96, the 01 is bus controlled from the PCM.

OP
OP
Shadow_Death

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Everything I've read said PCM on my 96 since the Voltage regulator is controlled by the PCM. I figured that the gauge is just going out because the system is charging just like it should according to 2 different multimeters. So that tells me that the PCM isn't dead yet. Lol