Wanted Amp Power Step until..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Just don’t leave em down when you go thru the car wash ... Apparently it’s possible ... Another member found out those big wet spinny things will mess em up ... Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just don’t leave em down when you go thru the car wash ... Apparently it’s possible ... Another member found out those big wet spinny things will mess em up ... Lol

It’s only possible if the car wash left the door slightly open, or he has some switch on it to force it to stay down

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
It’s only possible if the car wash left the door slightly open, or he has some switch on it to force it to stay down

That’s what I thought, but he said he had a button to make em stay down ... Why ? ... I dunno ... Probably just like this guy storing them up for the winter

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That’s what I thought, but he said he had a button to make em stay down ... Why ? ... I dunno ... Probably just like this guy storing them up for the winter

It’s an optional override switch which is not included with the steps. It allows you to manually keep them up/down. If it’s set to the middle position it functions normally.

Just a guess.....but maybe he or the car wash attendant must have hit that switch accidentally.

I don’t have that switch on my truck and I have the plug-n-play version

Rbohno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Powerwagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It’s an optional override switch which is not included with the steps. It allows you to manually keep them up/down. If it’s set to the middle position it functions normally.

Just a guess.....but maybe he or the car wash attendant must have hit that switch accidentally.

I don’t have that switch on my truck and I have the plug-n-play version

I had them on my ‘16 3500 and took them off and installed on PW when I bought it.

So I have been using Amp steps for approximately 2 years and a few months back had to have paintless dent repair come out for palm size dent and it was $80.

Lesson learned if I am parking in a questionable area I put foot on step and close doors and they stay down and protect body like factory steps.

Rbohno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Powerwagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I like rock sliders BUT am 59 and the Amp steps are actually useable. I have had almost every step out there over the years and the Amps are the “only” steps I have ever had that you could comfortably use them as a step.
Heck, even had Nerf bars with a stirrup step and still not like Amps.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I like rock sliders BUT am 59 and the Amp steps are actually useable. I have had almost every step out there over the years and the Amps are the “only” steps I have ever had that you could comfortably use them as a step.
Heck, even had Nerf bars with a stirrup step and still not like Amps.

Yes sir, the AMPs are very functional, but yes they may not suit everyone’s need.

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
That would really **** me off too. Granted it doesn’t always snow where I’m at. Other than tucking away, I’m seeing more cons for the money compared to wheel to wheel fixed steps.

We don’t get a huge amount of snow in Chicago, it’s the fact when it does snow they have to put enough salt for 5 states.

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
In my slow upgrade grind I was thinking my next mod would be Amp Power Steps. Not only are they sexy when they open and close, but my main reason to add them was to show more ground clearance with my modest 2.8”/1.5” lift.

So today I was parked in a lot, sitting in my truck, waiting on my wife to come out of her appointment. All of a sudden this lady parks next to me, drivers side, flings her brand new Honda crossover door open, and it bounces off my truck!! Frustrated, she proceeds to do it again!?!?! Anyways, she finally gets out of her car only to realize I’m sitting in my truck... She starts to walk off as if nothing happened. I get out thinking my door was dented. That’s when I noticed her door bounced off my side step. There was only a blue streak left from her door, which rubbed off with my finger, no dent. Her door on the other hand had a nice quarter inch crease on the edge... lol

Anyways, I found a new love for my wheel to wheel factory steps today lol. Sadly, If I had those sexy Amp Steps tucked under my rocker panel, I would have had to deal with an insurance claim and a body shop... A small part of me still wants the Amp Steps but logic has a bigger grip on me at the moment. :(

Isnt recommended to leave the step down when parked? May be something to read up on I could be wrong but I've seen that somewhere.

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
In my slow upgrade grind I was thinking my next mod would be Amp Power Steps. Not only are they sexy when they open and close, but my main reason to add them was to show more ground clearance with my modest 2.8”/1.5” lift.

So today I was parked in a lot, sitting in my truck, waiting on my wife to come out of her appointment. All of a sudden this lady parks next to me, drivers side, flings her brand new Honda crossover door open, and it bounces off my truck!! Frustrated, she proceeds to do it again!?!?! Anyways, she finally gets out of her car only to realize I’m sitting in my truck... She starts to walk off as if nothing happened. I get out thinking my door was dented. That’s when I noticed her door bounced off my side step. There was only a blue streak left from her door, which rubbed off with my finger, no dent. Her door on the other hand had a nice quarter inch crease on the edge... lol

Anyways, I found a new love for my wheel to wheel factory steps today lol. Sadly, If I had those sexy Amp Steps tucked under my rocker panel, I would have had to deal with an insurance claim and a body shop... A small part of me still wants the Amp Steps but logic has a bigger grip on me at the moment. :(

This thread also has a manual but I'm not a member so I cant view itScreenshot_20190124-223557_Samsung Internet.jpg

gr8ridn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For the AMP power step owners, when you step on the board to keep it in the down position does this also keep the right side down? This might be a reason to add the manual switch if just the left side stays down for parking lot protection.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When you open the door only that one side step comes down

gr8ridn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When you open the door only that one side step comes down
Ok, I see what you are saying. If I wanted to use the boards for ding protection while parked it seems the optional manual switch would be the best way to go.

Thanks for the heads up.

gr8ridn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I installed my Amp steps last weekend! DO IT! But make sure you get the OBD connector and not the splice ones. The splicing, even with the posi-taps, SUCKED!!!
Do mean the optional OBD splitter cable or the plug and play kits. I ordered an AMP plug and play kit from Nick and don't understand the splitter usefulness if all I have to do is pull the amp plug when using the OBD port for diagnostics or smog tests.

Outbreak

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Do mean the optional OBD splitter cable or the plug and play kits. I ordered an AMP plug and play kit from Nick and don't understand the splitter usefulness if all I have to do is pull the amp plug when using the OBD port for diagnostics or smog tests.

There are two ways to wire in the steps:
1. Plug into the OBD port (RECOMMENDED)
2. Splice into the BCM wires. (It’s a HUGE pain in the butt because of its location. It’s very hard to get to and I spent more time trying to splice into 4 wires, than I did installing the steps.