Wanted Amp Power Step until..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Jrod

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
I was actually hit by a new Mercedes. My step on the passenger side was dented, but no damage to the door. The Mercedes on the other hand had $4000 damage. I will keep my factory steps too! LOL

LOL, I like Mercedes but the upkeep is insane on those! I once saw a guy shell out $800 to replace his retractable cup holder because his son leaned into it and broke it...

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In my slow upgrade grind I was thinking my next mod would be Amp Power Steps. Not only are they sexy when they open and close, but my main reason to add them was to show more ground clearance with my modest 2.8”/1.5” lift.

So today I was parked in a lot, sitting in my truck, waiting on my wife to come out of her appointment. All of a sudden this lady parks next to me, drivers side, flings her brand new Honda crossover door open, and it bounces off my truck!! Frustrated, she proceeds to do it again!?!?! Anyways, she finally gets out of her car only to realize I’m sitting in my truck... She starts to walk off as if nothing happened. I get out thinking my door was dented. That’s when I noticed her door bounced off my side step. There was only a blue streak left from her door, which rubbed off with my finger, no dent. Her door on the other hand had a nice quarter inch crease on the edge... lol

Anyways, I found a new love for my wheel to wheel factory steps today lol. Sadly, If I had those sexy Amp Steps tucked under my rocker panel, I would have had to deal with an insurance claim and a body shop... A small part of me still wants the Amp Steps but logic has a bigger grip on me at the moment. :(
THIS^^^^^^^

I’ve had the same thing happen which is why I’ve kept my factory steps. I was just pondering this again LAST NIGHT, thinking she’d look a little better with no steps visible!

Food for thought, I was thinking about installing the manual switch so I could “leave them deployed” when parked in a retail area or something, they actually drop down further and stick out more than the factory steps so they’d really provide protection form door dings!

Then again, my factory steps have taken more than a few rock dings and saved my rockers.

Oh, the agony of decisions!! Oh s**t, I’m starting to sound like my wife.

hemi1282

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Tradesman
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Say, for u guys with the amp power steps can u offroad? I mean say u get high centered somewhere up to the frame and ya open ya door what happens to the step? I like to have these but I offroad a lot and always wondered how that works out

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Say, for u guys with the amp power steps can u offroad? I mean say u get high centered somewhere up to the frame and ya open ya door what happens to the step? I like to have these but I offroad a lot and always wondered how that works out

Rocks and gettin centered would be an issue, but I can’t imagine packin and coatin em with mud would be very good for the motors and mechanisms ... Seems like more of a mall crawler step with maybe a little light trail once in a great while as long as you cleaned em up right away ... The come standard on the F150 Platinum for a reason I guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I am too cheap to spring for amp steps. Pretty sure they wouldn't last with the salted roads in the winter.
They don’t.
I typically replace the linkages once a year because the salt binds them up to the point they don’t go down or up all the way.

Worst investment ever for the salt belt.

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

They would only open till it hit something & stop.
If they’re up or down you put your foot on them to hold them in that position as you open/close the door.

OP
OP
Jrod

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
They don’t.
I typically replace the linkages once a year because the salt binds them up to the point they don’t go down or up all the way.

Worst investment ever for the salt belt.

That would really **** me off too. Granted it doesn’t always snow where I’m at. Other than tucking away, I’m seeing more cons for the money compared to wheel to wheel fixed steps.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hear ya, I almost wish I wasn’t sitting in my truck when it happened. Those Amp Steps keep calling me lol

What are the steps saying????? (J/K). I am glad have my rails, works for me, LOL, but I am a simple person, with my dementia and senility kicking in and out, LMAO....

OP
OP
Jrod

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
LOL, they haven’t been saying much lately. After reading other people’s dislikes and watching my factory steps save my paint and metal, I lost the desire for AMP steps...

Deltapapa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a set on my 2017 Sport. They look great, work great, and are a conversation piece. Love mine

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a set on my 2017 Sport. They look great, work great, and are a conversation piece. Love mine

Me too, had mine 18 months with zero issues, been thru high water, hurricane Harvey etc, they still work just fine.

OP
OP
Jrod

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine

I’m certain they are great steps! They look badass too!

After watching my steps deflect self servitude mine became a conversation peice too LOL.

Reactions: JB1

LarryA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m certain they are great steps! They look badass too!

After watching my steps deflect self servitude mine became a conversation peice too LOL.

you know - your claim against her for hitting your steps would have been a start against the new powersteps!

FWIW I have neither, I like the clean look without a running board, though I am thinking of splurging on the AMP steps. Perhaps one day.

Oh and for the occasional A-Hole, I installed a front and back dash camera that also records while in park mode. I will fully go after any idiot who hits my truck while parked and thinks they can tip toe away...

Jonnyb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What do you all think would be the best for a 18’ Laramie quad cab. Delmonico red with walnut brown two tone. I want rails to protect the seats from wear and to stand on to wash the roof. Don’t want them sticking out past the tires as I don’t care for that look. The factories on my last 14’ were so close to the rocker they didn’t seem usable. Any suggestions?

Tahoebronco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I'm about to buy the same OEM wheel to wheel steps. I haven't seen them in person, do they actually function well as an aid to get in and out of the truck? I currently have to jump a bit to slide my ass on to the seat. Stock truck, no lift.

Amp steps too $ for me, don't even want to consider it
I think any kind of mounted steps will help prevent unnecessary wear & tear on the seats. The key though, is to use the steps when exiting the truck in the reverse way as when you climbed in. For example; when I climb in on the drivers side, I grab ahold of the hand-grab on the A pillar with my right hand and the door with my left, place my left foot on the step, pull myself up and swing the right foot into the footwell, then sit down. When getting out, I grab the door and hand-hold the same way, place my left foot on the step, stand up and swing the right foot out behind me while stepping down. This helps take the stress off the left side of the driver's side seat cushion. One of the first changes I had to make when I bought my used 2011 2500 was to not only replace the seat cushion, but also the seat cover. The truck only had 112,000 miles on it when I bought it but the seat cover and cushion were badly worn down to the metal frame and the cushion was crumbling and making a mess every time I got in or out. Stupid cover was as expensive as the cushion. 20181111_164727.jpg 20181111_164746.jpg 20181111_164811.jpg

Last edited:

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can't wait to install my power steps I bought after my paint job. For us guys lifted high, they sell an extension that allows the steps to come down another 2". About $110.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My truck came from factory with power steps. There's an option on the evic to store them which I have done for the winter.