Warranty not honored if sold in ?!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ram1958

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Canceling warranty on Canadian Vehicles that are re-sold in US is manufacture dependent. Some do, some Don't. It's A Grey Market Industry. Warranty not honored is Mainly do to some US Dealers purchasing cheaper priced (new) vehicles in Canada so as to turn a higher profit.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I works the other way as , well no warranty on US cars in Canada, Honda for sure, I am not sure about Rams.

ramdriver2018

Trusted internet source
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If warranty crossed borders you would see a lot more Canadian trucks on American lots based on the dollar. Hell, you would see folks from Florida flying to Vancouver to buy and they would still save thousands. It can go 2 ways. But most often the American has the buying power.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
It's not FCA's fault that buyers unknowingly bought these vehicles. The shady part is on the actual used vehicle sellers letting buyers knowingly or unknowingly thinking there is a remaining factory warranty.

Nor is this a recent policy change by FCA. It has been out for more than a few years and was driven by people and used vehicle dealers trying to take advantage of the US/Canada exchange rate favoring US buyers and taking inventory that was suppose to stay in Canada.

Danglin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow...This is news to me. Just bought a 2016 Ram Laramie Longhorn with 17,000 miles this week from a local Chevy dealer. Before making the purchase, I called a local Ram dealer with the VIN to find out how much coverage remained on the factory warranty. I was told 3 months on the bumper-to-bumper and 27 months on the powertrain. This was fine, as I'm going to buy a Chrysler warranty anyway, but I was just happy it was still covered...Or so I thought. I honestly had overlooked the fact that the Carfax showed it was a Canadian truck.

I'm wondering if I can even add the Chrysler warranty, given the circumstances.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I thought I read
Wow...This is news to me. Just bought a 2016 Ram Laramie Longhorn with 17,000 miles this week from a local Chevy dealer. Before making the purchase, I called a local Ram dealer with the VIN to find out how much coverage remained on the factory warranty. I was told 3 months on the bumper-to-bumper and 27 months on the powertrain. This was fine, as I'm going to buy a Chrysler warranty anyway, but I was just happy it was still covered...Or so I thought. I honestly had overlooked the fact that the Carfax showed it was a Canadian truck.

I thought I have read, no they are not eligible for the FCA warranty in the US.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
https://www.chryslerfactoryplans.com/vehicle-eligibility/

Ineligible for MECHANICAL COVERAGE
  • Vehicles equipped with a Diesel engine (except FCA US, Ford, GM and Volkswagen vehicles)
  • Hybrid vehicles that operate on other than Gasoline or Diesel Fuel Systems (e.g., natural gas, electric, and hybrid, except FCA US vehicles)
  • Any vehicle where the factory warranty has been voided or restricted by the manufacturer
  • Vehicles registered as sold outside of the United States, Guam and Puerto Rico by the corporation

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

Pretty sure you can't. This is one time you might look at aftermarket warranties. If you go this route, research thoroughly.

Danglin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I thought I read

I thought I have read, no they are not eligible for the FCA warranty in the US.

https://www.chryslerfactoryplans.com/vehicle-eligibility/

Ineligible for MECHANICAL COVERAGE
  • Vehicles equipped with a Diesel engine (except FCA US, Ford, GM and Volkswagen vehicles)
  • Hybrid vehicles that operate on other than Gasoline or Diesel Fuel Systems (e.g., natural gas, electric, and hybrid, except FCA US vehicles)
  • Any vehicle where the factory warranty has been voided or restricted by the manufacturer
  • Vehicles registered as sold outside of the United States, Guam and Puerto Rico by the corporation

Pretty sure you can't. This is one time you might look at aftermarket warranties. If you go this route, research thoroughly.

Yup...Called Chrysler Warranty Direct and and they confirmed the worst.

Wound up buying the warranty from Ally, which is reputable. Got confirmation from the area rep that they will cover a vehicle in this situation. Pay $1926 for an additional 6 years and 85,000 miles.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yup...Called Chrysler Warranty Direct and and they confirmed the worst.

Wound up buying the warranty from Ally, which is reputable. Got confirmation from the area rep that they will cover a vehicle in this situation. Pay $1926 for an additional 6 years and 85,000 miles.

Hope it works out for you. Read the fine print to make sure you comply with any and all conditions.

wespentecost

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
what are people’s thoughts on Chrysler not honoring factory warranty on vehicles first sold in Canada??!! Seems a little shady to me! I was not happy to find this out about my 16 ram 1500 EcoDiesel.
Happened to me on my 16 rebel....no longer have her

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think it's simply a way for FCA to screw its customers. There is no reason for not honoring a warranty for a vehicle sold in Canada.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think it's simply a way for FCA to screw its customers. There is no reason for not honoring a warranty for a vehicle sold in Canada.

It has nothing to do with FCA trying to "screw" its customers.

Has a lot more to do with car dealers trying to shaft their customers by not disclosing the fact that they are selling an imported vehicle - to maximize profits. It isn't like they do not know the vehicle is imported.

It isn't rare or unusual for warranties to be country defined - in autos or electronics or dozens of other products.

Remember FCA USA did not sell the vehicle and is not responsible to warranty it, now if you want to complain to FCA CANADA you could try - and I am sure they would say the are happy to honor the warranty for as long as the truck is owned by a Canadian resident.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That makes sence Paco.

I figureded the consumer was getting the shaft. I just didn't know by whom.

The sad fact of life when it comes to: Lending Institutions, Car Dealerships, Cell phone Companies, Airlines, Extended Warranties, and probably a few others, is that their primary purpose and goal is to cheat their customers any way they can. You have to be really careful when dealing with them they are professional grade swindlers.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
I understand the answer's,,,,,but what is the reason for this unfair, unfriendly Brand hostile policy. Are Canadian vehicles inferior in the US??? Are Canadian vehicles manufactured and assembled to different quality standards??
Why would FCA or RAM take this kind of customer dissatisfaction hit. We are not number one and we will never be if we keep puking on ourselves.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I understand the answer's,,,,,but what is the reason for this unfair, unfriendly Brand hostile policy. Are Canadian vehicles inferior in the US??? Are Canadian vehicles manufactured and assembled to different quality standards??
Why would FCA or RAM take this kind of customer dissatisfaction hit. We are not number one and we will never be if we keep puking on ourselves.
FCA msrp’s canadian truck’s for the Canadian market economy and US trucks for the US market economy. This usually works out to a Canadian truck being cheaper than an equivalent US truck after the exchange rate money conversion. In order to deter shady US dealers from importing a Canadian truck into the US to make more money off of it, FCA voids the warranty, which in turn, will be a less favorable sale to the potential buyer in hopes that the dealer will be stuck with the trucks and stop importing them.
When a buyer is looking for a truck, and comes across a Canadian truck that is significantly cheaper than an equivalent US truck, a little light should go off in the back of their head that says, “what’s the catch?”.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
FCA msrp’s canadian truck’s for the Canadian market economy and US trucks for the US market economy. This usually works out to a Canadian truck being cheaper than an equivalent US truck after the exchange rate money conversion. In order to deter shady US dealers from importing a Canadian truck into the US to make more money off of it, FCA voids the warranty, which in turn, will be a less favorable sale to the potential buyer in hopes that the dealer will be stuck with the trucks and stop importing them.
When a buyer is looking for a truck, and comes across a Canadian truck that is significantly cheaper than an equivalent US truck, a little light should go off in the back of their head that says, “what’s the catch?”.
Thanks Jim. Of course there had to be some reason. Just frustrated with how this company is being mismanaged today.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks Jim. Of course there had to be some reason. Just frustrated with how this company is being mismanaged today.
I wouldn’t necessarily call it mismanagement by FCA. It’s just the best deterrent they could come up with to stop shady dealers from trying to make extra money by importing Canadian market vehicles. If we start importing so many trucks from the Canadian market, then economics (real world economics, not A.O.C. economics) will start driving up the sale prices for Canadians, leaving buyers up there screwed while we reap the benefits.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The really sad part is that I don’t think I got an “amazing”deal! $35,900 for a 16 EcoDiesel Laramie Ltd with 28k miles.

Seems like there should be some legal recourse due to non disclosure about the warranty.