Weekly Shifting?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
So the truck sits for a around a week most of the time or even up to 15 days sometimes before being started. Over 6k miles.

I run Redline 5W20 (going on a full year). Based off how often I drive I'll be conducting yearly oil changes with 5W-20 (not the 5W-30 because that may be too thick for winter time); plus I have lifetime warranty so sticking with the proper weight would potentially save me should something go kaput vs wearing outside of the manufacturers recommendations.

I happened to notice in that GIANT oil thread, couple guys mentioned when their truck just sits OVERNIGHT that they shift through the gears once or leave in neutral for a minute before driving off.

I usually remote start the truck and don't get in sometimes up to almost 20 minutes (my logic that after sitting long time it's good to let everything warm up after sitting for a while).

When I finally get in to take off, I smoothly slow shift to Drive.

Should I be going through the gears or sitting in neutral like some do for a bit? Don't understand why anyone would do that after just sitting overnight, unless it's maybe insanely cold to allow the oil to work its magic.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
I don't really beleive in doing that myself. Truck has ran for almost 20 mins already (I remote start mine too) and once my transmission temp registeres that it's warmer than outside temp or warming up ur good to go.

Considering as soon as you start the truck the transmission is cycling fluid through it its already heating up and moving the oil. It's like anything cold just take it easy and no hard launches it'll be fine and get up to its operating temperature with time. Don't quote me on it but I Beleive the 8speeds actually hold gears longer when it's colder to heat the oil faster, that's just what I've noticed with mine so don't hold me to it.

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Don’t know if the newer transmissions are this way or not, but a lot of older autos did NOT circulate fluid when in park.

So, even if the engine had been running for 20 minutes and was warm, the trans fluid was still all in the pan and cold.

Letting it set in neutral would circulate and warm the fluid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shawn Swaney

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2015 1500 4x4 65000 miles when my truck sets overnight the transmission shifts terrible gets stuck in gear, when the transmission temp reaches 180 degrees it will shift smooth and correctly anyone experience this or know what's going on with it.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm curious how exactly one would shift through all the gears there's just reverse and drive..

NOV87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Not exactly related to Trasmissions, but isn't excessive idling is main the cause of premature cam/lifter failures in 5.7 HEMI's? I wonder if BURLA could comment on this.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Did a cold start at - 4f today. Tranny warmed up nicely in park, just so y'all know it does cycle and warm fluid.

OP
OP
NY Andrew

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Great to know! Thanks guys!! So the shifting through gears theory seems to be redundant.

Usually if it sits long time I just let it warm up until oil temp registers then take it easy initially (usually after up to a 20 min warm up remote started)

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Did a cold start at - 4f today. Tranny warmed up nicely in park, just so y'all know it does cycle and warm fluid.

Sucks to be you Brandon,when I left for work this morning at 5:00 we were already at +5C ,lol.You guys up north have been taking a **** kicking this winter as far as cold weather goes .

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Haha that's nothing wait till January! We will see - 50 or more for weeks at a time. I'm kinda jealous of ur weather! ****** lol!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Haha that's nothing wait till January! We will see - 50 or more for weeks at a time. I'm kinda jealous of ur weather! ****** lol!

It's amazing the difference a couple hundred miles makes in the weather.Last couple of winters you guys have on average been warmer then us down here,nice to see Momma Nature has shifted in our favour this winter,lol

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
It's amazing the difference a couple hundred miles makes in the weather.Last couple of winters you guys have on average been warmer then us down here,nice to see Momma Nature has shifted in our favour this winter,lol
I always said I was gonna put a snow blower in the back of the truck and head south. When someone asked me what is was is where I would set camp and live! [emoji23] Now I'm Going further north wtf!

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I have a 2015 1500 4x4 65000 miles when my truck sets overnight the transmission shifts terrible gets stuck in gear, when the transmission temp reaches 180 degrees it will shift smooth and correctly anyone experience this or know what's going on with it.

Hello Shawn,
We are sorry to hear about your recent concern. If you are unable to determine the cause of this with the assistance of fellow forum members, I suggest connecting with your local certified dealer as they are in the best position to assist. Please know that we are available via private message if you are in need of any assistance with that process.
Laura
RamCares

Zack02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
(not the 5W-30 because that may be too thick for winter time); plus I have lifetime warranty so sticking with the proper weight would potentially save me should something go kaput vs wearing outside of the manufacturers recommendations.

So the warranty thing is completely personal decision. However, the first number is for the 'cold,' so there is no difference at start up between a 5w20 and 5w40. I run 0w40 year around. I'm much more north than you. I have a 5.7 as well. You'll be okay with whatever you pick.

Considering as soon as you start the truck the transmission is cycling fluid through it its already heating up and moving the oil.
@U&A can probably confirm, but I'm 95% sure this is incorrect information.

Not exactly related to Trasmissions, but isn't excessive idling is main the cause of premature cam/lifter failures in 5.7 HEMI's? I wonder if BURLA could comment on this.
@Burla you have been summoned! But no, it is not the main cause. A contributing factor, sure, but with other items. I have 705 idle hours on my 2014; that's a 125 miles per idle hour on my truck. My average MPH is also like 25 mph and I drive 500 - 1000 miles a week. If anyone was going to have a tick from idling it's me. There's hemi's that idle all day long on job sites, much more than I do, and they don't have an issues. Those cops have to be using complete garbage oil combined with low idle RPMs.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
So the warranty thing is completely personal decision. However, the first number is for the 'cold,' so there is no difference at start up between a 5w20 and 5w40. I run 0w40 year around. I'm much more north than you. I have a 5.7 as well. You'll be okay with whatever you pick.

@U&A can probably confirm, but I'm 95% sure this is incorrect information.

@Burla you have been summoned! But no, it is not the main cause. A contributing factor, sure, but with other items. I have 705 idle hours on my 2014; that's a 125 miles per idle hour on my truck. My average MPH is also like 25 mph and I drive 500 - 1000 miles a week. If anyone was going to have a tick from idling it's me. There's hemi's that idle all day long on job sites, much more than I do, and they don't have an issues. Those cops have to be using complete garbage oil combined with low idle RPMs.
As said in one of my previous comments, I cold started the truck, literally sat there for 10 minutes and watched the trans temp go up. This is in park, which means if the temp is going up in park it's heating up transmission and all valve body components. I know the old transmissions would not cycle fluid or warm up until they were actually in neutral or in gear. This is not the case here as I have watched it heat up right before my eyes. I'd reccomend you try it yourself so we can confirm it is correct and I'm not just running a special Canadian winter transmission lol

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Clearly these Cams are starved at idle, but I'm not sure that is the main reason for our fails, I think it is a factor though. The reason I don't think it is the main reason is because you could be driving for an hour on the freeway, then your engine is as lubed as could be, then drop to warm idle and start ticking immediately. You could say that is proof of cam starvation, but when the oil is that thin and has been lubing that good for that long and the metal that hot, one wouldn't think the cam would show that symptom right away like we see. I have no proof, but my sense is it is a design issue, somehow these lifters go loose (maybe needle bearing) and then they bang around in their cavity.

I would however tell guys to look at everything they can do even above lubrication, get a HP oil pump and/or tune up idle rpm's, well that might help as well. If a HP oil pump solves hemi tick, then my guess on the problem would be wrong as hell. Someone mentioned that SRT oil pump pumps more, I'd look into that.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Great to know! Thanks guys!! So the shifting through gears theory seems to be redundant.

Usually if it sits long time I just let it warm up until oil temp registers then take it easy initially (usually after up to a 20 min warm up remote started)

wow bud, no need for that warm. Yes, if you put transmission in neutral it turns fluid, it doesn't do it in park, with rfe's. With the 8 speed I would believe the same unless someone knows otherwise. Do me a favor, sit in the truck on a cold morning once and put the truck in neutral and set evic to tran temp. My bet with the 8 speed is that it will heat up pretty fast, like a couple minutes. Your fluid is like a 0w16 and is pao based, meaning it has very good cold performance.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
When my cam went the mds lifter collapsed and started hammering. When I had it all apart you could see that everything was still rolling as it should but it was not pumped up and started hammering the lobe. It was only really noticeable at a hot idle, once it started throwing the misfire code I knew it was time. [emoji58] It was cylinder 6 if that helps for any reason at all.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Seams like can be any lifter, I've seen 1,3,6,8,5,4 just off top of my head. So you got a new cam lifters I presume? All is good now Brandon?

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Seams like can be any lifter, I've seen 1,3,6,8,5,4 just off top of my head. So you got a new cam lifters I presume? All is good now Brandon?
Yeah put a lumpy comp cam in and Tsp mds delete lifters in just so I won't have to deal with that again. I'm very happy with the outcome and it's more fun to drive. [emoji16]