Weighed my rig

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I decided to weigh the truck and RV this trip. Not to surprised but it shows how little space there is to work with in gvwr. I have a keystone 2300 BH camper which isn't that large. Water tank were empty but I was carrying our bikes and a bit of firewood. The weight was 3280 steer axle 3440 drive axle and 4520 trailer axle. All within spec... BUT it was only my daughter and I. My son and wife often come as well as on occasion our dogs. With all them and their luggage we would still be ok on axle weights but over on the trucks 6900 gvwr. I'm not going to go rush and change trucks but I will be a bit more careful on what we bring especially for our big trip out west. I'll probably clean out the front storage on the camper a bit to start.

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Stuff adds up quick. Mine came in heavier than I was expecting. Especially my tongue weight. I used the Better Weigh scale earlier this year and I'm wondering how accurate some of the weights really are. I'll update that thread shortly, I don't want to hijack yours.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yeah, there's always 200-400# of invisible "stuff" that I have. I think when it's weighed at the factory there are no floor mats, bed liner, running boards, etc. Also, the WDH hitch and anti-sway adds weight that we often forget about.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Has been discussed in other threads, it is unreal how everything adds up. Propane tanks full, more weight. Awnings that were not factory spec, like over tip outs, add more. Add on electric levelers at the retailer, it is interesting how far off trailers can be from what is on sticker. Then the food and drinks, clothes, chairs, free standing screen house, water, etc. Good thing we all only have two 150lb people and a Chihuahua. Now if we could fill our tanks with helium...

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
I told my son to weigh his but he is usually in a hurry cause his company only gives him a minimum amount of time to get there. When he left for North Dakota he had to work Saturday then get back, hook up camper and drive 4 hours home and had to be at work in North Dakota 1500 miles away Wednesday morning with camper.

Anyway, his dry weight is listed as 6700lbs (2018 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK). I'm guessing he was at least 8000 when he went to N.D. but he had it pretty well loaded with tools, clothes, etc as he was going to be there 5 months. He also had about another 500lbs in the truck.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
No doubt about it and one of the reasons I went to a 2500 series truck (besides just wanting one) I knew when loaded heavy for a weeks camping trip that the 15 Silverado 1500 I had was maxed out and it felt like it.

It towed fine and was safe, but I knew I was pushing my limits. Stuff really does add up quick and if you have your rig for a long time stuff keep accumulating and you can forget just how much stuff you have in it.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
... I'll probably clean out the front storage on the camper a bit to start.

Or move some of that stuff back over or behind the trailer axles to get the weight off the hitch. This assumes you are not maxed out on GVWR of the trailer. Sometimes it is how you load a trailer that can cause issues or make trailering fine.

NH RAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Tradesman 2500 Snow Chief
Engine
I also was surprised by how much weight I was carrying on a recent trip to Canada; I could certainly feel the weight was there but I didn't realize I was over the spec'd limits. I decided it was time for a 2500 rather than play the "what can I live without" game or moving stuff all around the camper. I prefer to have a margin of safety than a moment of regret, especially since we try to do a long trip (3-4,000 miles) every other year.
You'll probably have better luck not carrying fire wood if that's in the bed of the truck than trying to minimize your packing. Most states don't want imported wood anyway. Enjoy!

OP
OP
C

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My trail
Or move some of that stuff back over or behind the trailer axles to get the weight off the hitch. This assumes you are not maxed out on GVWR of the trailer. Sometimes it is how you load a trailer that can cause issues or make trailering fine.
I am nowhere near maxed on trailer GVWR (it is around 6800 lbs... this model has a ridiculous carrying capacity of around 2500 lbs... its like 4300lbs "dry"). The problem with storage is that the nice storage compartment with space is the front one. But I did move what I could. I am not super worried about being a little over truck GVWR since the axle weights are well within specs, but I will still minimize weights where possible.

OP
OP
C

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You'll probably have better luck not carrying fire wood if that's in the bed of the truck than trying to minimize your packing. Most states don't want imported wood anyway. Enjoy!
I have no plans to bring the firewood with so yes that should help for our long trip out west. I'll probably have the larges issue with weight for short trips nearby when the whole family and dogs come... and everyone wants their bikes etc.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Exactly, so long as your fully loaded weight is under your GRAWR, you should be ok. The GRAWR is the number I won't exceed

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
I am on my first rv. A 2008 Cherokee WolfPack 295WP. Weighed my 2013 Ram 2500 diesel with full fuel tank, camper had two touring bikes, and 35 gallons of fuel, 110 gallons fresh water and both were at 21,500. Camper was right at 11,500. I was with in 500 pounds of being over rear axle weight. So 4 years later I bought a 2020 RAM 3500 and now have 4200 available for pin weight! So that allows some leeway for the next used toyhauler we find. I like for the trailers I own to be under the 75% rated capacity of my truck. We do not travel far. But we do travel to the mountains of WV, TN and eastern NC. And now I have the capacity to do some moves for "friends" when they buy a hunting trailer and need it moved to a lot...