Weird chirping noise from rear end? Please help it’s driving me crazy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

squirrel30668

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I have a 97 ram 1500 that’s been the greatest truck ever but recently it’s been making some strange noises. Started out sounding like a belt squealing and it only would make that sound randomly when it wanted. Then it turned to a pretty consistent chirp or squeak which again I thought was coming from the belt or a pulley. Then I actually got out and listened good and the chirp is definitely coming from the back side of the truck. Not sure if it’s trans related or what but it’s driving me crazy. Makes the noise no matter if you’re in drive, neutral or park or reverse. Also about 80% of the time it makes a loud metallic clank when shifting into reverse which is new also. I checked trans fluid and it was fine. Anyone know what I may be looking at here?

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Does it only chirp while rolling? If so, check the u-joints. You may have to unbolt it for proper inspection. They should be smooth with no binding.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Check your exhaust system,it could have a broken hanger .letting it rub against something. Or possibly muffler bearing . Makes the noise just sitting there?

OP
OP
S

squirrel30668

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check your exhaust system,it could have a broken hanger .letting it rub against something. Or possibly muffler bearing . Makes the noise just sitting there?
Yes it makes noise just sitting there. But that wouldn’t cause the loud metallic clang shifting into reverse would it?

OP
OP
S

squirrel30668

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does it only chirp while rolling? If so, check the u-joints. You may have to unbolt it for proper inspection. They should be smooth with no binding.
It chirps while rolling and while sitting there idling. Exact same chirping. Which is what made me think of the trans because not many parts are moving while idling

OP
OP
S

squirrel30668

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also my truck has had exhaust work. I’m sure it don’t have stock mufflers anymore as it has duals

KoboldTaco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
Or possibly muffler bearing/ HA HA sounds like a heat shield
Damn those muffler bearings LOL - I love it when a joke actually does make me laugh out loud.

Yup, thinking a little metal on metal intermittent contact chirp. With Exhaust work recently, you always start with what was the last thing touched and go from there. Good luck!